Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #3,106 of 7,699
Okay, I just did a quickie listening session for you. Basically I hear the same things that you do. I think what you are hearing is a result of the ipod's dac. There are other players that might improve the sound. I do agree that when used alone with the pc, the e17 sounds noticeably better. The easy solution would be to use the hardware EQ of the e17 to get the sound back to where you like it. I'd say that plus 4 on the treble would be a good place to start. 

I've also got hopes that a new cable that I've ordered will accomplish some of the things that I think you're after. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120916313726&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

I should have it in a few days and will report back.

Hope that this helps...

gL!!

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3,107 of 7,699
Okay, I just did a quickie listening session for you. Basically I hear the same things that you do. I think what you are hearing is a result of the ipod's dac. There are other players that might improve the sound. I do agree that when used alone with the pc, the e17 sounds noticeably better. The easy solution would be to use the hardware EQ of the e17 to get the sound back to where you like it. I'd say that plus 4 on the treble would be a good place to start. 

I've also got hopes that a new cable that I've ordered will accomplish some of the things that I think you're after. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120916313726&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

Hope that this helps...

gL!!

Cowon. :wink:

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3,108 of 7,699
Quote:

Hope that this helps...

gL!!

Very helpful but also surprising. I always thought the Classic had a great dac. I know the Nano has a terrible one.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #3,110 of 7,699
Quote:

I find it difficult to express how i hear things but i'll try. Using the iPod's dac it just feels like there's a slight veil on the music whch gets lifted as soon as i switch to USB mode. I find the treble slightly recessed. There's less sparkle and perhaps slightly less detail. Detail retrieval overall is less, not just in the treble actually. Also on some of my tracks drum don't have the same impact. They just seem to be quieter and less striking. Sounstage is slightly smaller too.

I should stress that this is with the low regarded iPod Nano 2G, so your impressions with the Classic will certainly be different, i just want to know how close it is to the dac on the E17. Thanks.

I have a Classic 7G and with LOD I can say that there is no veil on the sound. I haven't even tried the headphone-out.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #3,111 of 7,699
The type of DAC doesn't determines everything.
How the circuit is designed is very important.

I read about an article about desktop sized dac and amps, and they mentioned most of the weight and bulk goes towards designing the power.
It's just that with the same circuit board, the one with a wolfson chip should perform better.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #3,112 of 7,699
I find it difficult to express how i hear things but i'll try. Using the iPod's dac it just feels like there's a slight veil on the music whch gets lifted as soon as i switch to USB mode. I find the treble slightly recessed. There's less sparkle and perhaps slightly less detail. Detail retrieval overall is less, not just in the treble actually. Also on some of my tracks drum don't have the same impact. They just seem to be quieter and less striking. Sounstage is slightly smaller too.

I should stress that this is with the low regarded iPod Nano 2G, so your impressions with the Classic will certainly be different, i just want to know how close it is to the dac on the E17. Thanks.

I have a similar experience pairing E11 up with any combination of my sources which makes me believe it's not the DAC's at fault. It becomes veiled very close to what you described. However using the E10 on my laptop there is no sign of that slight cloud that hovers over the mids and highs. I know exactly what you're describing even though I don't own E17.

I feel it's something to do with the amps transparency, power requirements and simply Fiio products.

Usually it takes a pretty well trained ear to pick out. though (with no advertising intended) it's partly why I moved on to Cowons higher powered headphone outs. I believe keeping the signal clean as possible is the key to higher fidelity. However I find it strange that my E10 sounds fine though my E11 veils with any source I own.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #3,114 of 7,699
Maybe it might have something to do with how the Fiio performs when running on battery as opposed to using USB.

I think you might onto something there. It's a shame because I enjoyed the extra power on tap, though wasn't worth the pay off.

You can try upgrading your LOD, (which helped) though it never went away totally for me.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #3,115 of 7,699
Just wanted to share that these JVC replacement tips are a perfect fit for the large bore on the IE80s. They seal better and are more comfortable than any of the OEM variants. These normally fit the JVC FX700, FX500, FX1X, FX3X, etc., which have similar large bores.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #3,116 of 7,699
Thanks for sharing about the tips. It's a shame that Sennheiser did not make some better tips that were included. They certainly included plenty of them though. But there was not one pair that worked for me. I am really liking my comply tips though!!

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,117 of 7,699
I mentioned a few days back how i'd have to sell my IE80s because of comfort issues causing headaches. I thought then that it was because of how the driver sat in my ear, but i was wrong. It's actually because of how the tip sits. They sit far too deep in my canal, and i was forced to push them deep to get a good seal, and they sound great. If i pull them out a little to relieve the pressure i completely lose the seal. I guess Sennheiser's tips really are terrible.

Anyway i found some tips that came with one of my really cheap Samsung earphones, tried them on and wow. They sit nicely, they don't go too far into the canal and they isolate really well. The sound is about the same as my stock tips which were great for me. So far no headaches.

Maybe i won't have to sell them :)

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #3,118 of 7,699
Quote:
I mentioned a few days back how i'd have to sell my IE80s because of comfort issues causing headaches. I thought then that it was because of how the driver sat in my ear, but i was wrong. It's actually because of how the tip sits. They sit far too deep in my canal, and i was forced to push them deep to get a good seal, and they sound great. If i pull them out a little to relieve the pressure i completely lose the seal. I guess Sennheiser's tips really are terrible.

Anyway i found some tips that came with one of my really cheap Samsung earphones, tried them on and wow. They sit nicely, they don't go too far into the canal and they isolate really well. The sound is about the same as my stock tips which were great for me. So far no headaches.

Maybe i won't have to sell them :)

Hey that good to hear!! I was about in the same position as you. I found two of the stock tips were okay but nothing more. I couldn't get to the point where I was just enjoying the music and not worrying about the comfort. The only ones that fit me are the stock small foam. Then I decided to try the comply tips and now I'm happy. Great sound and great fit...

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #3,119 of 7,699
Quote:

Hope that this helps...

gL!!

Hisound players :wink:.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,120 of 7,699

Users who are viewing this thread

Back