Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,091 of 7,699
Quote:
  I have been loving my IE80 for about a year.. Recently they have been used with the Rocoo BA and in the last week or so with the Studio V 3rd Anniverary. Now te BA was ok but the new Studio takes them to a whole different level. More open, tight deep bass and lovely extended highs. It's a great match.

I was using Silver Galaxy upgrade cable from Song's audio purchased on ebay for a while but recently bought the Toxic Cables Silver Poison and that has improved the sound even more.

Can you post some pics of what the cable looks like and the price? I was considering having a cable sourced for me down the road by Tralucent Audio since the build quality on their cables are superb.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3,093 of 7,699

Not very good photos but here you go... 
The wooden slider is missing as it was broken during transport but Frank from Toxic has sent me two replacements so that's all good.. These probably don't show you the detail you need to see but they are a very well made cable with a luxurious feel and a terrific sound. Well, at least they work well with the IE80.. The changes are quite obvious..

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,095 of 7,699
Lee730 the cable was 167 pounds plus 12 pounds for the rhodium L shaped plug upgrade. The standard plug is a straight Oyaide but i prefer the L shape.. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #3,096 of 7,699
The toxic cables looked very similar to my Twag V2s. 
Down to the plastic used on the Oyaide plug, and the way they're braided and to the wooden slider.
I wanted an right angled plug as well, but craig had my order made wrong, but well i can't afford to wait.
Right angled plug actually works better if u put your players into pockets like jeans, it stress the cables less IMO.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3,097 of 7,699
I wanted to add a few comments on the comply tips that I received today. I ordered a set of t400's in various sizes. Here is a quick breakdown of my take on them:

1. They are supremely comfortable. The only stock tip that was remotely this comfy for me was the small foam. The t400 is still more comfortable than that.

2. The t400 really opened up the sound on the ie80 for me. Sounds noticeable better than any stock tip. 

3. I ordered the set of mixed sizes. The small is the only one that fits me. It is about the same size as the medium stock foam tip. 

4. They are only decent at isolation...good but not great. 

5. Sound-the bass is great!! Great texture and impact. Sound stage is better. Nothing muffled or veiled about the mids at all.

Overall I really like them. I am now truly enjoying my ie80 as I'm not worried about getting a tip with good seal and comfortable. Unfortunately, I have two sets of comply tips that I can not wear as they are too big for me. If anyone is interested please pm me. I'll take postage to cover the shipping. First come first serve. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,098 of 7,699
Wow how do you wear those around the top of your ear lol, enough trouble as it is trying to wear the vsonic gr07s around my ears without it falling off because the cable is too thick and keeps trying to un-curl itself. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,099 of 7,699
ich1ban if that question is for me i can tell you it is no trouble at all but my ears are not a streamlined close to the skull model but more a enlarged directional sound collector trying to point a little forward.... 

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3,100 of 7,699
I tried the Comply T-400 on the IE80 and had a really hard time getting them on. I contacted Comply and they sent me the T-500 and they are much easier to fit onto the post.
Comply customer service was excellent. I had bought my original tips at Radio Shack. The Comply rep didn't ask for proof of purchase, she just sent me the new tips for free.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #3,101 of 7,699
Hey can someone offer some help? I'd like to find a nice case that would hold an ipod-160 and my e17. It would be nice to have something where I wouldn't have to worry about scratches and would look nice also.

thanks...

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,103 of 7,699
Quote:
Hey can someone offer some help? I'd like to find a nice case that would hold an ipod-160 and my e17. It would be nice to have something where I wouldn't have to worry about scratches and would look nice also.

thanks...

i can't really help you much with the case but since i see you own the IE80, E17, and an iPod classic, i wanted to get your thought on something. I own all as well except for the Classic, instead i have a very old Nano 2G. 

I find that when i use an LOD on my Nano and use the E17 with the IE80 (iPod dac and E17 amp) my music doesnt sound nearly as good as when using the E17 on the pc with USB (E17 dac and amp). I wanted to get a classic for this reason. How does the dac in the Classic compare to the one in the E17? They're both Wolfson but are there much sonic differences?

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #3,104 of 7,699
Quote:

i can't really help you much with the case but since i see you own the IE80, E17, and an iPod classic, i wanted to get your thought on something. I own all as well except for the Classic, instead i have a very old Nano 2G. 

I find that when i use an LOD on my Nano and use the E17 with the IE80 (iPod dac and E17 amp) my music doesnt sound nearly as good as when using the E17 on the pc with USB (E17 dac and amp). I wanted to get a classic for this reason. How does the dac in the Classic compare to the one in the E17? They're both Wolfson but are there much sonic differences?

Well first, can you define what you mean by, "doesn't sound nearly as good?" I haven't listened to my e17 on the pc is quite some time. I have the e09k for docking. But then I got and odac and prefer e09k + odac when listening at the desktop. I'll do some listening today and compare the two setups for you.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #3,105 of 7,699
Quote:

Well first, can you define what you mean by, "doesn't sound nearly as good?" I haven't listened to my e17 on the pc is quite some time. I have the e09k for docking. But then I got and odac and prefer e09k + odac when listening at the desktop. I'll do some listening today and compare the two setups for you.

I find it difficult to express how i hear things but i'll try. Using the iPod's dac it just feels like there's a slight veil on the music whch gets lifted as soon as i switch to USB mode. I find the treble slightly recessed. There's less sparkle and perhaps slightly less detail. Detail retrieval overall is less, not just in the treble actually. Also on some of my tracks drum don't have the same impact. They just seem to be quieter and less striking. Sounstage is slightly smaller too.

I should stress that this is with the low regarded iPod Nano 2G, so your impressions with the Classic will certainly be different, i just want to know how close it is to the dac on the E17. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back