Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #7,547 of 8,119
Just thought I would share that if you ever loose one of the driver units for your IE8, Sennheiser USA doesn't offer an option to buy a replacement driver. You have buy a whole new pair.

I loved the detachable cable feature, but one day one of the driver units snagged something and detached without me noticing so I have only one driver unit now. I'll have to think twice about the pros and cons of detachable cables next time. These were great iems though I certainly got my money out of them IMO.

JH5 custom IEMs incoming.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #7,548 of 8,119

Quote:
Just thought I would share that if you ever loose one of the driver units for your IE8, Sennheiser USA doesn't offer an option to buy a replacement driver. You have buy a whole new pair.

I loved the detachable cable feature, but one day one of the driver units snagged something and detached without me noticing so I have only one driver unit now. I'll have to think twice about the pros and cons of detachable cables next time. These were great iems though I certainly got my money out of them IMO.

You must have snagged them real good then as they are very hard to take off using the stock cable.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #7,549 of 8,119
Quote:

Let me know how you like the JH5 compared to the IE8.  I've been using the IE8 for well over a year now and still love them as much as day 1.  However, I've had my eye on the JH5 for a while now but just think its too risky a purchase when the IE8 already make me so happy.  Especially considering they have a very diff sound sig and are BA phones.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #7,550 of 8,119

Quote:
Let me know how you like the JH5 compared to the IE8.  I've been using the IE8 for well over a year now and still love them as much as day 1.  However, I've had my eye on the JH5 for a while now but just think its too risky a purchase when the IE8 already make me so happy.  Especially considering they have a very diff sound sig and are BA phones.

When I go custom I'm getting the SA-43s. Seem like a sure upgrade to the IE8s in the regard of customs.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7,551 of 8,119
Hmmm, why do you say that?  What I'm most afraid of losing going from the IE8 to a custom is the timbre.

I would think the Future Sonics dynamic driver customs would be a safe upgrade if one could afford it. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7,552 of 8,119

Quote:
Hmmm, why do you say that?  What I'm most afraid of losing going from the IE8 to a custom is the timbre.

I would think the Future Sonics dynamic driver customs would be a safe upgrade if one could afford it. 

Well I'm going off from averagjoe's reviews and I trust his opinion. Hes giving numerous in-depth reviews on multiple customs and the SA-43 seem like the clear upgrade for Customs to the IE8. If you are concerned with timbre then go for the FX700s. They are the Kings of Timbre. Not even the Sony EX1000 can touch the FX700's timbre.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #7,553 of 8,119
@ Lee730

I have had my IE8 for probably closer to 2 years than one. I noticed that with time the driver housing units would detach much easier. Recently, I had noticed it detaching several times just sitting in my pocket coiled up neatly. That should have been a warning sign to be more careful with them when that starting happening - definitely my bad. 

@fallingreason

I would be happy to come back by and share impressions of the JH5. Like you, I was very happy with my IE8 for a long time. I have had the itch to try customs but the IE8 definitely placated me from rushing to try them. It was well worth the cost for me for almost two full years of enjoyment, and I mean almost every single day. I prefer the sound of my HD 650 with my desktop setup, but then again I have about $2,000 in that with Audiophilleo2, Audio-gd NFB-10WM, Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable, etc. Even with all of that supporting gear for HD 650, I still felt IE8 put me near enough to that same level with just a portable amp (I have fairly new Ibasso D6) that I was happy to go to bed early to listen with IE8 at times instead of sitting at my listening station with full-size gear. It has definitely been a great IEM.

I wish I could compare it to my incoming JH5 using both ears, but at least I'll get a general idea with direct comparisons of just one ear.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #7,554 of 8,119

Yeah the IE8s are truly a great IEM. They are finicky though and require a good pairing with the source to give you that aural sound. I'm finding my re-cabled IE8s to pair very well with my Hifiman 601 unamped.
Quote:
@ Lee730

I have had my IE8 for probably closer to 2 years than one. I noticed that with time the driver housing units would detach much easier. Recently, I had noticed it detaching several times just sitting in my pocket coiled up neatly. That should have been a warning sign to be more careful with them when that starting happening - definitely my bad. 

@fallingreason

I would be happy to come back by and share impressions of the JH5. Like you, I was very happy with my IE8 for a long time. I have had the itch to try customs but the IE8 definitely placated me from rushing to try them. It was well worth the cost for me for almost two full years of enjoyment, and I mean almost every single day. I prefer the sound of my HD 650 with my desktop setup, but then again I have about $2,000 in that with Audiophilleo2, Audio-gd NFB-10WM, Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable, etc. Even with all of that supporting gear for HD 650, I still felt IE8 put me near enough to that same level with just a portable amp (I have fairly new Ibasso D6) that I was happy to go to bed early to listen with IE8 at times instead of sitting at my listening station with full-size gear. It has definitely been a great IEM.

I wish I could compare it to my incoming JH5 using both ears, but at least I'll get a general idea with direct comparisons of just one ear.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #7,555 of 8,119
Does anyone with IE8s use the Equalizer app on their iPhone or iPod touch? If so, could you post your graphs? Any help is appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #7,556 of 8,119
does anyone know where i can buy replacement sennheiser shirt clips? i like using these cause it takes some of the weight off the cable but the one that came with mine the little plastic hook part that holds the wire snapped after 2 days or is there a metal alternative?

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #7,557 of 8,119
does anyone have tips for eqing these, or equing in general? I've never done it before. If anyone has settings for a galaxy s phone (captivate, epic 4g, fascinate) I'd love to see them. Also, does anyone know good Eq apps for android?

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7,558 of 8,119

Quote:
does anyone have tips for eqing these, or equing in general? I've never done it before. If anyone has settings for a galaxy s phone (captivate, epic 4g, fascinate) I'd love to see them. Also, does anyone know good Eq apps for android?

Focus on lowering the mid bass and bass. That is what the IE8s suffers from. On my Hifiman I EQ down on the 60 Htz and 300 Hz

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #7,560 of 8,119
does anyone have tips for eqing these, or equing in general?

Here's a frequency response curve as measured by somebody somewhere using some method that might be accurate. Or not.

graphCompare.php

That should give you a good idea of where correction belongs.

Most find it better to cut than boost, so what I do is cut the bloated midbass and leave the treble alone. Mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back