Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #5,281 of 8,119
JUST HAPPENED 10 MINUTES AGO, i broke my ie8, while i was switching tips. a little twist. the tube went off.......
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #5,282 of 8,119
hey sir dranoel!
jecklinsmile.gif

thanks for the IE8 pala, still enjoying it a lot! now you're tempting me to get the sony x! damn you! heheheeh

is there a noticeable difference in volume or SQ compared to the clip+

i really like my clip though... and i already have my celfone in my pocket and i would think the sony x matches it's size whereas my clip just clips on the outside of my pocket.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #5,283 of 8,119
Same thing happened to me, Senn replaced mine. They required the receipt, which I emailed them my electronic one, and then I sent them in, waited 3+ weeks, and new IE8s!

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #5,284 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranoel4190 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what? do i hear a JH13pro? NOOOOOOOO!!!!

ikr...

Dec 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #5,285 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really pretty surprised that so many of you don't notice a difference with an amp. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music are you listening to? The biggest differences I notice is that the bass gets tighter and punchier and the sound seems more open using my SS amp vs iPod touch 2G headphone out.

I'm totally baffled! The difference with a LOD and amp ain't subtle IME. Better in every way.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #5,286 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally baffled! The difference with a LOD and amp ain't subtle IME. Better in every way.

I definitely agree, and its not a subtle improvement either. I think iPods power IE8 just fine for good overall sound, but a nice amp with decent synergy really tightens and extends the bass, smoothing out the midbass hump and really enhancing separation and soundstage. I also find that the DAC section of my D10 also significantly improves soundstage and airiness and detail even more compared to my iPod 5G LOD. That being said, I still opt to leave my D10 at home for portability SOME times, but it's definitely not because it is doesn't sound better.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #5,287 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's are extremely efficient and can be driven nicely by any iPod. In fact they can run loud enough to damage your hearing beyond recall quite quickly. There is no reason on earth to use a headphone amp with them. Well, I suppose a burning desire to relieve yourself of a lot of money for no good purpose would be a reason of sorts.

I could not disagree more. This post reflects almost exactly what my impression of amps was prior to joining Head-Fi fairly recently. I thought amps only served to make something louder and never saw the point.

The improvements from amping IE8 have nothing to do with increasing max volume, but in bringing out all of the detail and layers of music that are in the background. I've found that in general, lead vocals and lead instruments come across pretty good unamped but almost everything else is less detailed, with less texture, and with a flatter sound (especially compressed music). When I AB songs out of my iPod's headphone out or my Cowon O2s better headphone out against my iPod LOD > D10, I realize that the music becomes much more three dimensional, more detailed, more texture, etc. It gives the music a more live and polished (my own word here) sound. Not sure if I'm explaining myself well, but don't want to write a book here either.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #5,288 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the IE8s from Amazon UK but I am curious if an amp will make a difference. You mentioned that the P-51s don't so could it be that your particular amp doesn't improve the IE8s enough or are the IE8s somewhat like the Atrios (i.e. they don't benefit from amping)?

[Sorry for the multiple messages in a row. I got behind in this thread, but wanted to comment on a few things.]

I've read a lot of impressions of P-51 with IE8 and the general consensus is that P-51 does not pair well with IE8 at all as it emphasizes IE8s already dominant bass and drowns out the other frequencies and details. HeadphoneAddict has posted a lot of really useful info on what amps have good synergy with IE8 throughout this thread and specifically explained why and how P-51 is a bad choice for IE8 while being one of the best portable amps available with most other phones.

I've posted many times throughout the thread as well about how well D10 with rolled op amps synergize with IE8. The improvements are pretty drastic in my opinion and well above the "subtle and not worth it" range. I don't want to pound this same message anymore so do advanced search of this thread for my detailed impressions.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #5,289 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing happened to me, Senn replaced mine. They required the receipt, which I emailed them my electronic one, and then I sent them in, waited 3+ weeks, and new IE8s!

i'm going to do that. thanks

the only iem that need burn-in and i broke it. ugh....

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5,290 of 8,119
I use IE8 with Sansa Clip and Go Vibe V4. I think that amp makes huge difference, bass muuuuuuch tighter, midbass hump is gone, soundstage wider, localization is better, highs brought out. I don´t know if it is with every amp or just Go Vibe is so good pair with IE8.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #5,292 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know why people don't think/hear iem sound different with an amp. it's almost coming like we're talking about cable.

To me its just that some amps have better synergy with certain IEMs. We can only be true to what we hear. I personally don't hear much of a difference, if any with the Alo Rx and IE8 as aforementioned. I will never recommend this amp to someone looking for an amp to pair with their IE8. However, someone with a D10 may have a different experience. So I don't quite think it's a case where some of us can't and some of us can. Its more a case of the IEMS responding differently with the various gears we have. And then, there's some of us who don't care about amping them because they sound darn good unamped.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #5,293 of 8,119
I've been using ie8s with my s9 and they sound very well balanced. Especially with silicone tips (foam tips make it sound too dark imo). But I'm getting a fiio e5 soon, hopefully the ie8 responds well to it.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #5,295 of 8,119
The nurforce icon mobile is supposed to have decent synergy with IE8 for the cheap end of port amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back