Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #5,252 of 8,119
Now I really like them - UE and Comply tips fit them!

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #5,256 of 8,119
You are right...sounded quite lazy of me huh.. I just meant that I'm used to going to a site clicking buy and entering info and being done. I might call them though when I figure out if I like the senn med double flange or ue medium silicon better.
On a different note..I'm listening to a band I like called Thousand foot crutch with the ie8 while typing this. Fantastic!!

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #5,258 of 8,119
I hear ya on the tips. So much easier just to click. Speaking of clicking, does anyone know where I can get UE tips for a good price? Actually, I would love bi-flange with a wide opening, if they exist. The standard bi-flange have too small of an opening, the RE bi-flange are too big (and have too small of an opening, which isn't as bad because of their length). TIA

And my thoughts on the IE8 in response to your fantastic comment. I kinda soured on the IE8...long story, but basically, old ones sounded like crap, broke, got a replacement, tried standard bi-flange tips (none of the stock tips fit, and didn't go back to my old configuration). Not impressed compared with the C710 and WM2. Now, I am using this tip configuration and they are light years ahead of the competition, what a difference 1.5 cm makes! But now they are SIEMs (semi-in ear monitors), but the sound they produce is so amazing, I could care less what people think of how they look!

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #5,259 of 8,119
Looks very interesting on the extra length. I always loved the fit of the se530 because it was farther in the ear canal than westone or ie8. My have to look into yer mod a little. I'm with you on not caring what people think...I stopped caring about that long ago.
Soundearphones.com has the regular ue 5prs for $9 no shipping and bi-flange 5pr $14 no shipping cost. I usually have stuff very quick from them.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5,260 of 8,119
Thanks, I placed an order. Hope I like em.

And the extra length was introduced by decay, who has since disappeared, but very large improvement to my ears. Increased clarity, transparency, expands the soundstage (yes, even more), and smooths out the midbass. I actually have been using these with the bass knob at max and it doesn't seem like too much to me, a nice increase of the lower bass to compete with the WM2, C710, etc.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #5,261 of 8,119
can anyone recommend anything to improve the sound of my gear? i have the sansa clip+ and the IE8 as of the moment, and while i love the sound like nothing else in this world i can't help but think the sound and the volume can get better. im currently running my clip almost full volume on most songs.

logical step here would be to buy an amp. cant really justify getting the p-51 mustang or anything above that. more like icon mobile or ibasso t3. amp needs to be really small to at least match the clip. anyone has experiences on these combos? also the clip doesnt have line out, will it really benefit from an amp? i read the fiio E5 does nothing for the clip and IE8. can anyone chime in on that?

another option would be to just shell out for another source like a sony X or A series. question is if it really is that better sounding than the clip+

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #5,262 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by zansiball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just want to make one thing clear. can the IE8´s be driven of a ipod? or is there a night and day diffrence with a amp?

The IE8's are extremely efficient and can be driven nicely by any iPod. In fact they can run loud enough to damage your hearing beyond recall quite quickly. There is no reason on earth to use a headphone amp with them. Well, I suppose a burning desire to relieve yourself of a lot of money for no good purpose would be a reason of sorts.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #5,263 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone recommend anything to improve the sound of my gear? i have the sansa clip+ and the IE8 as of the moment, and while i love the sound like nothing else in this world i can't help but think the sound and the volume can get better. im currently running my clip almost full volume on most songs.

logical step here would be to buy an amp. cant really justify getting the p-51 mustang or anything above that. more like icon mobile or ibasso t3. amp needs to be really small to at least match the clip. anyone has experiences on these combos? also the clip doesnt have line out, will it really benefit from an amp? i read the fiio E5 does nothing for the clip and IE8. can anyone chime in on that?

another option would be to just shell out for another source like a sony X or A series. question is if it really is that better sounding than the clip+

I would say go for the Sony X or Cowon S9 or something like that. Even a 7th gen iPod.

I have a Fuze and a Clip and personally think the IE8, while sounding good, shines like it can from the headphone out. For example, I think the use of an E5 via LOD from my Fuze is fairly large improvement for the IE8, but from the headphone out, little to no improvement. The Clip doesn't have a line out capability, so I personally would not recommend an amp for that. That is what my ears tell me.

So, if you are looking for a new player and thinking of the X, I have a friend that has the X and the S9 and said they are very close, but the S9 is cheaper. And if you can handle iTunes and all that is Apple, the latest 160GB iPod Classic (7th gen) sounds great from what I hear. I know there are many other choices, but those are the ones that I personally know about.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #5,264 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right...sounded quite lazy of me huh.. I just meant that I'm used to going to a site clicking buy and entering info and being done. I might call them though when I figure out if I like the senn med double flange or ue medium silicon better.
On a different note..I'm listening to a band I like called Thousand foot crutch with the ie8 while typing this. Fantastic!!

Thousand Foot Krutch is awesome! I really like "New Design" by them, sounds great through the IE8 & Zune HD. Relient K, TobyMac and Skillet are also similar.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #5,265 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's are extremely efficient and can be driven nicely by any iPod. In fact they can run loud enough to damage your hearing beyond recall quite quickly. There is no reason on earth to use a headphone amp with them. Well, I suppose a burning desire to relieve yourself of a lot of money for no good purpose would be a reason of sorts.

I agree with you Ed and I think the same could be said for any number of IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back