Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #4,456 of 8,119
Its MetroBBOY pipin' in, because i have joined the IE8 FanClub!

Only got these today, so im just burnin' them in now. My first impressions are very positive. I cant throw in any tech jargon, but my ears are excited and tappin' my heels and boppin' my head, coz this is just so damn "exhilirating". lol i sound eager a bit but i cant help myself..

I've been playing lossless albums like Thriller, T.I and some Ministry Sessions compilations, and so far everything i throw it just gives me chills! To my ears they sound vibrant, detailed, offer a wonderful soundstage and smooth & powerful bass notes.. So essentially all of the good stuff you guys talk about in re to their SQ. Using the dual-flange tips and wearing them down (swapping L to R so it sits flush).

Im actually more impressed with it so far than when i had the TF10's.. I really wonder if the burn-in effect will occur to me, but im sweet as it is... Peace Ya'll!!

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4,457 of 8,119
Hi MetroBBOY...

I hope my input helped, and I hope you enjoy the IE8 long-term
smily_headphones1.gif

...Welcome to the club!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4,458 of 8,119
Hi MetroBBOY...

smily_headphones1.gif

...Welcome to the club!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #4,459 of 8,119
I just use IE8 and join this club...Anyone already tried the headamp for IE8 to increase the level of treble and soundstage of IE8??For my impression,treble of IE8 without Amp is good enough but I need more treble on IE8.. My current combo is Cowon D2+ and Sen IE8...

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #4,460 of 8,119
I'm guessing these have been answered before but what the hell:

- What are the 'spikey' eartips for? Surely they don't go into your ears.
confused_face.gif

- Does the bass knob act as some sort of bass port? When I cover it, bass output drops right down. Left me a bit worried considering that dirt and whatnot could easily block such a tiny hole.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #4,461 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused_face.gif

- Does the bass knob act as some sort of bass port? When I cover it, bass output drops right down. Left me a bit worried considering that dirt and whatnot could easily block such a tiny hole.

They do indeed go into your ears, and you may find that they are some of the
better sounding tips especially if you wear them backwards.

The bass knob, or the tiny opening between the bass knob and the housing, let in
air to the IE8 transducers, as you turn the knob up the hole inside the housing
gets bigger so more air for the transducers to utilize. You don't have to worry
about dirt covering the hole unless you do so intentionally.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #4,462 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused_face.gif

I only know of one person that uses the spikey ones, the grey reverse flanges are pretty useless.

The bass knob acts as an air vent, there needs to be air behind the driver to produce good bass.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #4,463 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass knob, or the tiny opening between the bass knob and the housing, let in air to the IE8 transducers, as you turn the knob up the hole inside the housing gets bigger so more air for the transducers to utilize.

I just assumed it was a pot with a little eq on the driver. A port is so much simpiler!

Duh...

I guess you really do learn something new every day.
smile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4,464 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi MetroBBOY...

smily_headphones1.gif

...Welcome to the club!
smily_headphones1.gif

of course Duncan! Appreciate the advice and I had a feelig these were perfect for me. FYI watch this space as I'm in talks with Drew from Moon Audio, he's going to make a lighter and thinner version of his Blue Dragon cable for the IE8..

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #4,465 of 8,119
I got the TMD too now (Tip Madness Disease).
Yesterday I experimented with Sony tips, both the big holed standard tips and the smaller holed hybrid tips, and foam and de-cored Shure olives underneath.
My favorite combination (SQ, comfort, isolation, ease of use): Sony hybrids with de-cord Shures underneath.
Strangely, and in contrast to Decay, I find the small holed tips better sounding then the wide open tips, the sound seems more focused. In theory the open tips should give a less obstructed path for the sound, but perhaps it has to do with the synergy with my source (Sony X1060, fantastic DAP IMO) that seems optimal like this.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #4,467 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cahayahati3105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use IE8 and join this club...Anyone already tried the headamp for IE8 to increase the level of treble and soundstage of IE8??For my impression,treble of IE8 without Amp is good enough but I need more treble on IE8.. My current combo is Cowon D2+ and Sen IE8...

If you need more treble and less upper bass on your IE8 the Nuforce Icon Mobile is the ticket. It's a bright amp that has remarkable synergy with the IE8 IMO.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #4,468 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need more treble and less upper bass on your IE8 the Nuforce Icon Mobile is the ticket. It's a bright amp that has remarkable synergy with the IE8 IMO.

yeah it does go well with it, and makes the treble super duper sharp. makes it one of the best trebles ive heard

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #4,470 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroBBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone please confirm where you can acquire the Senn 0.6m short replaceable cable. No luck with any local Aussie resellers... If anyone has bought them and would like to share how they got em please post.. Cheers!

I'm not aware of it (and many of the IE8's so-called accessories) existing as anything other than a product number...though that could have changed without me noticing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back