Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #4,486 of 8,119
So seal issue aside, do the IE8's also have recessed mids? I've read through portions of this thread and have hardly seen much mention of it.

I would love to find some IEM's that have somewhat forward mids and the amazing bass that the FX500's have. Thanks for the advice willw, I'll order those ebay double flanges and I look forward to hearing your review midoo1990.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4,487 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So seal issue aside, do the IE8's also have recessed mids? I've read through portions of this thread and have hardly seen much mention of it.

I would love to find some IEM's that have somewhat forward mids and the amazing bass that the FX500's have. Thanks for the advice willw, I'll order those ebay double flanges and I look forward to hearing your review midoo1990.

No, but the highs and lows are comparatively pushed forward. The middle range is not recessed, but it is not forward either.

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #4,488 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn thats a good price!
beerchug.gif
Sure that they are kosher? Not grey imports or anything?

The IE8 retails for £169.04 at Scan.co.uk for all UK Head-Fi'ers.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4,489 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would love to find some IEM's that have somewhat forward mids and the amazing bass that the FX500's have.

Somewhat forward mids or really forward mids?
biggrin.gif

Either way, I personally don't think the IE8 is for you (but I could be wrong). The Shure SE530 has very forward mids, but fortunately that is its biggest strength. The bass is very good and the highs are (arguably) its weakness. I have both the IE8 and the SE530. They are both very good and have different strengths over each other. But in your case, I think the SE530 (or something like it) has the strengths that you might appreciate more.

But again, I could be wrong.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #4,490 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somewhat forward mids or really forward mids?
biggrin.gif

Judging by the asking for "somewhat forward" mids and "amazing" bass, I think the IE 8 is closer since its bass is of the same feel as that of the FX500 especially since there seems to be a priority emphasized on bass rather than mids. I feel the SE530s bass lacks the organic, tactile feel and slam that the IE 8 has; the SE530 just has that "armature bass" feel.. far from amazing IMHO.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #4,491 of 8,119
I haven't had much IEM experience but the previous set I had, Custom 3's, had mids that were perfect to my ears. If i could get the mids highs of the Custom 3's and the bass of FX500 it would be great. Anywhere near that combination is something I would be looking for.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4,493 of 8,119
I'm considering purchasing the IE8, but I can't find anywhere locally where I live that has one I can look it. For those that do have a IE8, what is the cable like in terms of the design (particularly ruggedness) and the interchangeability of the cable system?.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4,494 of 8,119
sleazyc, if you want forward mids and in your face, then the ie8 are diffenetly not for you.their mids as i said before are laid back behind the artist's voice.i find it a little disturbing because some songs just need that aggresive forward mids.but that doesnt mean that the ie8 mids are bad,oh boy hell no,its just personal preferences.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #4,495 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering purchasing the IE8, but I can't find anywhere locally where I live that has one I can look it. For those that do have a IE8, what is the cable like in terms of the design (particularly ruggedness) and the interchangeability of the cable system?.

Is kevlar reinforced rugged enough? The cable is great, I have little problems with it tangling. It's not very microphonic and it is detachable. It was one of many reasons I chose to buy the IE8.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4,496 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is kevlar reinforced rugged enough? The cable is great, I have little problems with it tangling. It's not very microphonic and it is detachable. It was one of many reasons I chose to buy the IE8.

I never realized they are "kevlar reinforced." They are, by a huge margin, the best cables I've ever had on any IEM; very soft, non-microphonic, silky-smooth to the touch and, apparently (with kevlar reinforcement) super durable...they're perfect! I wish Senn made replacement cables for, oh, let's see...Etys, UE's and Shures.

That would be nice.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #4,497 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sleazyc, if you want forward mids and in your face, then the ie8 are diffenetly not for you.

Yeah, the IE8's mids are very laid back. Not even close to "somewhat forward." That's not necessarily a bad thing, that's just how they sound.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that do have a IE8, what is the cable like in terms of the design (particularly ruggedness) and the interchangeability of the cable system?.

Do not even begin to worry about the quality of the IE8's cable. I mean it. It's just absolutely incredible. Best cable I've ever seen by far.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #4,498 of 8,119
Thanks for all the help guys, I am still interested in hearing the IE8's because of all the praise its soundstage gets but I think they will definitely be a future IEM purchase down the road.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #4,499 of 8,119
Hello,m well I have owned the ie8 again for a while now and I still really like it, very comfortable. I just need a cleaning tool for it and some other tips (i wont be going the custom route because its just too expensive). I guess I will get some comply tips and maybe the sony hybrid tips, any other good unmodified tips Iw hould experiment with? currently i only have 3 pairs of silicone tips that came with it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #4,500 of 8,119
Not at all relevant to the conversation, but anyone else notice we're on page 300 of this freakin' thing?
eek.gif

Cripes
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back