Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #1,156 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by raekwonse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just received my IE8 in the mail and I've been listening to it for about an hour now and jumping between various tips. I'm actually kind of disappointed.

I know the sound will change with burn-in, but I can't get nearly the kind of isolation as I could with my Etymotic HF2s with Shure Olive tips. Hopefully the highs will tighten up and become as detailed as the HF2s, because right now they sound a little muddy. I did notice the soundstage is slightly bigger than the HF2s, and there is much much more bass, which was the biggest weakness with the HF2s.

I'm going to burn them in now with a loop of 20 mins of pink noise followed by 2 mins of silence and see what that does.

how are you wearing them?

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #1,158 of 8,119
Right now I'm using the double flange tips and wearing it the way the instructions say to, which is over the ear. I burned them in for about 10 hours last night and listened to them on my commute this morning. They actually got a lot better. Soundstage is wider, bass is tighter, and the highs are coming out more.

I will keep on burning them in, try out some of the tips that everyone keeps recommending (foams, medium silicons), and update as necessary. Btw, I am in New York and ordered them from Headroom when they were selling them for $300.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #1,159 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by raekwonse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I'm using the double flange tips and wearing it the way the instructions say to, which is over the ear. I burned them in for about 10 hours last night and listened to them on my commute this morning. They actually got a lot better. Soundstage is wider, bass is tighter, and the highs are coming out more.

I will keep on burning them in, try out some of the tips that everyone keeps recommending (foams, medium silicons), and update as necessary. Btw, I am in New York and ordered them from Headroom when they were selling them for $300.

Aren't people recommending that you wear not over the ear and swap the cables over to get a good seal? I think that's the pics I saw.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,160 of 8,119
i'm more than happy wearing them the right way around, i guess it depends on ear shape, i'm getting good isolation, no problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #1,161 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm more than happy wearing them the right way around, i guess it depends on ear shape,
i'm getting good isolation, no problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too. Even though I don't have them jammed/wedged in my ears anymore, I still get plenty of isolation and decent volume levels. I have the Sony set to around 50%, and the iPod Touch to 75% (for the same volume as the Sony.) And they're so comfortable now, that it's hard to remember how much they hurt/mangled/crushed my ears the first time round
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #1,163 of 8,119
wow. I tried to wear it straight down(no over-ear). Im using the big bi-flange tip and I find the isolation is better. Also, the tips is now pointing to my ear cannal better. Bass improved a lot.

I found out its caused by the diamond shape of the IE8 drivers. When wearing the over-ear way, that inner side corner points outwards more and larger in comparsion.

when I wear it straight down. that corner is small and hence doesnt hit the inside of my ear. Much more comfortable imh.

I think most users have the same findings.

but when I wear it over the ear. I find it's better to not insert it too much like normal iem's.

otto

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #1,164 of 8,119
so, how are the newer owners of these 'phones finding them after burn in?

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #1,165 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. Even though I don't have them jammed/wedged in my ears anymore, I still get plenty of isolation and decent volume levels. I have the Sony set to around 50%, and the iPod Touch to 75% (for the same volume as the Sony.) And they're so comfortable now, that it's hard to remember how much they hurt/mangled/crushed my ears the first time round
smily_headphones1.gif

to me thats crazyvolume!

I use tops! on the sony s639 volume 10 of 30, avsl on.
Thats 33% of top volume.. normal listening volume is 15-16%

Doesn't your ears get blasted from having the volume pushed up like that? :O

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #1,166 of 8,119
Hi there,

Just a quick post to comfirn the very nice combination of the IE8 with the Comply tips T 400.
The foam has a very slow expansion speed, therefore the positionning in the ear is very easy. You can wear then in two ways at least :
When you compress the whole cylinder you can insert the IEM "tube" in your ear canal, the isolation is then very good, still confortable.
You can also only compress the end of the tip to wear the IE8 like semi intras. The noise isolation is then not as good as the previous option, but good enough for an office use (as I do). And then the comfort is simply excellent.
cheers
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #1,167 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

Just a quick post to comfirn the very nice combination of the IE8 with the Comply tips T 400.
The foam has a very slow expansion speed, therefore the positionning in the ear is very easy. You can wear then in two ways at least :
When you compress the whole cylinder you can insert the IEM "tube" in your ear canal, the isolation is then very good, still confortable.
You can also only compress the end of the tip to wear the IE8 like semi intras. The noise isolation is then not as good as the previous option, but good enough for an office use (as I do). And then the comfort is simply excellent.
cheers
wink.gif

After some experimenting, I've decided the Comply's work best for me if I don't compress them at all. I just push them into my ear while the music is playing until they sound is right -- basically until the bass is tight and controlled, but not muddy. I find if I compress the Comply's before inserting, I sometimes insert them too far into my ear, and generally I don't have as much control of where the tips end up. And the tips are soft enough that you don't have to compress them to insert them. Anyway, that's what I'm doing and it's working pretty well.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,170 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by btnh47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trusted Reviews posted a Video review of the IE8's 5 days ago. Not sure if this was posted or not, but here it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser IE8 In-Ear Headphones Video Review - TrustedReviews

Yeah, I noticed that last night. I was thinking about posting a link to it only to show what it looks like in the ear, not for the actual review: His credibility went down in my eyes when he made that comment about the SE530
biggrin.gif
. Quite a laughable remark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back