Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #1,171 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some experimenting, I've decided the Comply's work best for me if I don't compress them at all. I just push them into my ear while the music is playing until they sound is right -- basically until the bass is tight and controlled, but not muddy. I find if I compress the Comply's before inserting, I sometimes insert them too far into my ear, and generally I don't have as much control of where the tips end up. And the tips are soft enough that you don't have to compress them to insert them. Anyway, that's what I'm doing and it's working pretty well.

I'd be scared to do that : on a membrane based set like IE8, I would fear to damage the membranes. But maybe this is just a wrong feeling from my side. It might be (allthough I agree this is unlikely) that when ou push your IEM in your ear canal the membrane displacement is already big because of whatever sound played : the two effect together could result in an excessive membrane displacement. Then the device is damaged (not necessarily broken but damaged membrane, resulting in an altered freq. response).

I believe this is the reason why they always write on the manuals to plug the IEM in the speaker after placed on/in your ear.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #1,172 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be scared to do that : on a membrane based set like IE8, I would fear to damage the membranes. But maybe this is just a wrong feeling from my side. It might be (allthough I agree this is unlikely) that when ou push your IEM in your ear canal the membrane displacement is already big because of whatever sound played : the two effect together could result in an excessive membrane displacement. Then the device is damaged (not necessarily broken but damaged membrane, resulting in an altered freq. response).

I believe this is the reason why they always write on the manuals to plug the IEM in the speaker after placed on/in your ear.

I'm not sure what you mean by membrane displacement. Are you talking about the membrane in your ear? I know what the correct listening volume is, so when I put it in my ear, it's not going to be too loud. In any event, you can keep the volume lower at first also, or start with no volume. Or maybe we're talking about two different thing?
confused_face_2.gif
Anyway, the point I was making is that I find the Complys easier to insert and find the right placement by not compressing them.

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #1,174 of 8,119
I received the IE8's this week, having upgraded from the ety er6i's.. I am still a little unsure on how I feel about them.

Initially, I could not get a good fit with any of the tips at all, they all seemed way too small, and did not go far enough into the ear, I am guessing that this may be because I am used to the tri-flange silicon tips from the ety's that give a really great, isolated fit for me.

However, I realised that I could actually squeeze the triflange tips from some ety earplugs I had lying around (they are exactly the same as the ety er6i tips, but with a bit of a longer tube where they connect to the earphones). I am currently wearing them down, and am getting an amazing fit!

However, this seems to make the sound WAY more bassy! I am not sure whether this is just how they are supposed to sound pre-burn in or whether it is something to do with the tips. The jury is still out and I will have to see how they burn in.

How are the comply tips in size compared to the stock tips you get with the IE8's? I was thinking of buying some, but wanted to make sure I would get a deeper fit, and better isolation.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #1,176 of 8,119
You're forgiven
biggrin.gif

I would add that a major difference is, as related a few posts ago, is that the compression of the Comply tips can be very high, and the return to its original shape is actually quite slow. As a result they are easier to fit in the ear than the sennheiser foamies, and the end fit is actually very good...

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #1,177 of 8,119
I'm hesitant to get the Comply tips for my IE8 (when it arrives) based on reports saying that sound quality suffers quite a bit, which I would believe.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #1,178 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiroki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the IE8's this week, having upgraded from the ety er6i's.. I am still a little unsure on how I feel about them.

Initially, I could not get a good fit with any of the tips at all, they all seemed way too small, and did not go far enough into the ear, I am guessing that this may be because I am used to the tri-flange silicon tips from the ety's that give a really great, isolated fit for me.

However, I realised that I could actually squeeze the triflange tips from some ety earplugs I had lying around (they are exactly the same as the ety er6i tips, but with a bit of a longer tube where they connect to the earphones). I am currently wearing them down, and am getting an amazing fit!

However, this seems to make the sound WAY more bassy! I am not sure whether this is just how they are supposed to sound pre-burn in or whether it is something to do with the tips. The jury is still out and I will have to see how they burn in.

How are the comply tips in size compared to the stock tips you get with the IE8's? I was thinking of buying some, but wanted to make sure I would get a deeper fit, and better isolation.

It's somewhat hard to make categorical statements given that everybody's ears are different, and everybody has different preferences regarding what sounds good, but my impression from reading this thread and others, and from using the IE8's for the past few weeks, is that this IEM is not really designed to be inserted deeply into the ear. That's what makes the bass sound muddy, and the bass overpowers the rest of the spectrum. And that also may be why none of the IE8 tips feel like they're right for you.

I think the correct placement, depending on the tip you are using and the configuration of your ear, is with the IEM backed off somewhat from a deep insertion. Sorry, I don't know how else to describe it.

As far as the Comply's go, I cut the Comply's down a little bit to match the size of the Senn olives, and they work great. And after looking at what I did and listening, though, I'm not even sure cutting them is necessary. I think I've just gotten better at placement.

Anyway, I think it takes some experimenting and listening to get used to the placement of these IEM's, and that inserting them all the way into the ear like other IEM's (which is what I was doing at first) may be a mistake.
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,179 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm actually speaking about the membrane of the IEM, not yours
biggrin.gif

The "membrane" on the IE8 looks pretty sturdy to me. I'm not sure how what I described as far as insertion goes could damage them.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #1,181 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comply tips = paying rent, think twice before getting sucked in,

Too late for me...the comply tips are the only ones that give me a good seal, and therefore bass. The large silicon are OK, but not nearly as good a seal or bass.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,182 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too late for me...the comply tips are the only ones that give me a good seal, and therefore bass. The large silicon are OK, but not nearly as good a seal or bass.

They are the only ones really good for me so far also. Given the total cost of an MP3 player, a good portable amp, and the IE8's (the total can reach $1000 or more without much effort), paying $20 every once in a while to make sure that all that equipment can be used comfortably doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #1,183 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are the only ones really good for me so far also. Given the total cost of an MP3 player, a good portable amp, and the IE8's (the total can reach $1000 or more without much effort), paying $20 every once in a while to make sure that all that equipment can be used comfortably doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
icon10.gif

Yea, this 'hobby' is expensive, aren't they all! I guess my NE-7s sound best to me with large silicon tips, not the Complys
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #1,184 of 8,119
In the picture above:

Is that Senns. Olive in Big size?
also what size is the Comply?

thanks!

otto

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,185 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the picture above:

Is that Senns. Olive in Big size?
also what size is the Comply?

thanks!

otto

The picture is labeled...take another look. And yes and T-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back