Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #751 of 8,119
I have a IE8 on the way from Germany myself. But I have seen some IE8 on sale in the FS forum. I think the only reason we see more W3 for sale is because more people actually bought that then the IE8. There is even one person who had both the IE8 and a W3 for sale. People just have to realize no IEM, even the newer ones, are perfect. It all comes down to personal taste, preference, and comfort and if it meets the price one paid.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #752 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicalMetal420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else find the IE8 cable unstable and a little annoying over the back of the ear?
Especially while moving around, i.e. walking, running. Tried the ear hooks but found them uncomfortable.
I love everything about these IEM's, except i find myself distracted by the movement of the cable behind my ear.
What i really want is an upgraded pair of ear hooks, but i can't find any anywhere!

Have you tried them without the ear hooks? I used to wear mine without them, just the cable over the ear, and slightly fastened under my chin. They never ever moved a single bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #753 of 8,119
the cable on ie8 was superb, soft and nice, still sturdy, no problem with it at all

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #755 of 8,119
I never notice much microphonics, I keep the cable over the ears, and under all clothing next to my skinny frame.
I produce some microphonics if i run with them. But that doesnt happen often, and never will with ie8 as i returned them.
The fit would make them unusable for jogging for me..

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #756 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soyama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never notice much microphonics, I keep the cable over the ears, and under all clothing next to my skinny frame.
I produce some microphonics if i run with them. But that doesnt happen often, and never will with ie8 as i returned them.
The fit would make them unusable for jogging for me..

I have a very good fit, never have to push them back.. But I notice a bit more microphonics compared to sf5pro, somewhere around the level of my old cx300. The reason I'm going to sell mine is the isolation, if I didn't live in London I would be keeping them because of their sound - but the outside noise over here (streets, the tube..) is a bit too much.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #757 of 8,119
I live in London too, and commute into the city everyday on the tube, and i find once you have found a tip to fit ur ears, the IE8 has excellent isolation. I wasn't happy with any of the tips that came in the box. I use some JVC silicone's that i've been using for years as they suit my ears perfectly.
The first thing to try would be the tips from an existing IEM that u have used and are happy with.
I've got some Comply T-400's that shud be arriving tomorrow, so the experience shud be going up a notch!

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #758 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried them without the ear hooks? I used to wear mine without them, just the cable over the ear, and slightly fastened under my chin. They never ever moved a single bit
smily_headphones1.gif

That wud be alright wen i'm sitting at home etc, but wen i'm out and about i think it wud look a little strange to have them fastened like that!
The good news is i've been messing around with the hooks, and also started using the cable clip clipped on to my shirt to give more slack, and they are now perfectly comfortable!
i can finally say, money very well spent!

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #759 of 8,119
Quote:

That wud alright wen i'm sitting at home etc, but wen i'm out and about i think it wud look a little strange to have them fastened like that!
The good news is i've been messing around with the hooks, and also started using the cable clip clipped on to my shirt to give more slack, and they are now perfectly comfortable!
i can finally say, money very well spent!

I'll be awaiting your review of T400's, I might give them the last chance with these tips before I sell them. I like their sound very much, rich and full mids - the other day I listened to Blotted Science and I was blown away, it sounded incredibly juicy. I think anything else I buy I'd have to compromise.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #760 of 8,119
Okay, some first thoughts!
When i tried them, first impression was 'muddy.. hmm'. This was after 2 hours of 'burn in' so, pretty much the out of the box sound. They're pretty dark as mentioned, but the soundstage out of the box allready was there! Now, about 20 hours burning later, they allready sound much more clear, there seemed to be a filter blocking the mids and highs. This is starting to disappear, and their allready alot more alive! Finally there's a really nice warmth in the sound, that i was missing with my shure e4c's!

Their much more detailed allready then i expected them to be, which is a relieve, somehow i expected them to be much more like the cx300 then my shures. By now i'm convinced these aren't to be compared lol..

I'm a huge electro/idm fanatic, and i'm happy to see these IEM's translate the most complex music i offer it. The fun factor is really high, which is a relief coming from the e4c's, which gave me no fun at all.. (Yes they are good, great perhaps, but no fun at all)

I'm excited to see how these will grow on me! And what more burntime will do. I'm using these with an ipod nano 4g unamped, not planning on buying and amp too, thats what the nano is for.
It might be an idea to use the Boost treble EQ, but im not sure if this will do the SQ any good, usually the ipod custom EQ just distorts the sound.

Ooh btw, i've experienced a weird plopping sounds coming from one of the earbuds, hard to describe, it just plops, anyone else familiar?

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #761 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh btw, i've experienced a weird plopping sounds coming from one of the earbuds, hard to describe, it just plops, anyone else familiar?

A plop?? You hear plops? I don't remember any plopping from my IE8. Can you detach the cable and try the ploppy earpiece on it to check if it's the cable or the earpiece?

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #762 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A plop?? You hear plops? I don't remember any plopping from my IE8. Can you detach the cable and try the ploppy earpiece on it to check if it's the cable or the earpiece?

Good idea, i have experienced it only like 3 times in 5 hours of listening, so there's no quick way on checking.
If it keeps coming i'll try this, hope it'll stay away though..

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #763 of 8,119
Quote:

I live in London too, and commute into the city everyday on the tube, and i find once you have found a tip to fit ur ears, the IE8 has excellent isolation. I wasn't happy with any of the tips that came in the box. I use some JVC silicone's that i've been using for years as they suit my ears perfectly.
The first thing to try would be the tips from an existing IEM that u have used and are happy with.
I've got some Comply T-400's that shud be arriving tomorrow, so the experience shud be going up a notch!

jvc make wonderful tips and so too do panasonic : both i use heavily in all my iems.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #764 of 8,119
Hello Zardos,
I read your comment earlier in this discussion that you bought the Sennheiser IE 8's for US$250 in Germany.
Could you please tell me from which shop you bought them? I fly to Frankfurt often, would like to pick up a pair when Im next there. Could you suggest any shops in Frankfurt where I could pick them up for $250?
Many thanks...
Firoze

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #765 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Zardos,
I read your comment earlier in this discussion that you bought the Sennheiser IE 8's for US$250 in Germany.
Could you please tell me from which shop you bought them? I fly to Frankfurt often, would like to pick up a pair when Im next there. Could you suggest any shops in Frankfurt where I could pick them up for $250?
Many thanks...
Firoze

Hi Firoze,

Sorry I cannot suggest shops in Frankfurt.
I bought the IE8 online from amazon.de.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back