Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #736 of 8,119
Hmm... this is my first post here. But im not sure whether this review might be helpful or not. Because i have tried the Westone 3 not too long ago, i want to compare it with the Senns IE8 and base it on my preferences. Since this is a teenager's review, well... it might not be useful to you guys. And especially im a Newbie
normal_smile .gif

*Note: I only own the IE8 (100 hours of burn-in) and i auditioned the W3.

Looks:
Well, the Westone 3 definitely looks nicer for my kind of age. With a nice red "3" logo (almost looked like a man) and a shiny black finish. Whilst the Sennheiser is more rigid looking and it looks like a military sort of equipment with a matted dark grey finish and a nice, shiny chromed "S" logo on the IE8.

Wires: I guess this is even. Both wires look long lasting and they have absolutely no microphonics at all.

Sound Isolation:
Well, the W3 definitely has definitely more sound insulation than the IE8.

Comfort: Both are surprisingly comfortable. But i guess the winner for this category is the IE8. The size of the IE8 is smaller and lighter, so it fits much better to my ears than the W3. Since the IE8 is flat shaped while the W3 is curved, i guess when you wear them on the bed, the IE8 is flushed with the pillow.

SQ:

Bass: Sennheiser IE8 wins, but only by a slim margin. The IE8 has slightly stronger and lower bass and it also suites more to my taste as well.

Mids: The IE8 still wins this. It is more powering on the mids, and that feel seems to be SLIGHTLY less that comes out of the W3. But when the mids goes higher to the highs, the W3 sounds better.

Highs: Well, the highs goes to the W3 and it feels much nicer and it will not be rolled-off as the IE8 (the rolled off highs of the IE8 can still have a very slight notice even after 100 hours of burn-in)

Soundstage: The IE8 definitely wins this one. It is much wider than the W3s.

Clarity: The W3 wins this. Very clear and detailed all rounder at highs, mids and bass.

Conclusion: (I am trying to be fair as possible)
IE8 - Good in it's Bass and mids and soundstage and great comfort.
W3 - Good in it's clarity, treble and highs and looks very cool looking.

So, the IE8 still wins my heart (by 60%) due to the Natural feel, warm mids and bass (dark sound) that i really like which the the W3 can't as it is SLIGHTLY too clear for me which I don't really prefer. The IE8 is more laid-back as well, which is much suited to my liking.

I only travel only twice in a day when i have school (It's school holidays for me now) and it takes the most 1 hour to reach home or to school. So i'm not fussy about the sound isolation.

But still, if I have the money again, I will definitely buy the W3. There is some feel and SQ that is just missing from the IE8 but it seems to appear on the W3. Hmm... how i wish we can combine the W3 and IE8 together and become a Wesheiser WE 6. (the middle number of 8 and 3 is 6)

Anyway, that is just to my ears. I will burn in my IE8 longer to see if the rolled off highs will completely disappear.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #739 of 8,119
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #740 of 8,119
Great first post! Nicely put together review.

N.B.// It's sound isolation and not insulation (suppose that couldbe a language thing though).

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #741 of 8,119
edited language error
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #742 of 8,119
Thanks for the review!
Now i REALLY cant wait to get back home and open up freshly arrived IEM's..
The Westone 3 along with the TF10's were on my doubtlist along with the IE8, but you made me sure again i made the right decision! (regarding the W3 atleast, i'll just pretend the tf10's dont excist)
I'll probable share some thoughts after a 40+ hour burn in..

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #743 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review!
Now i REALLY cant wait to get back home and open up freshly arrived IEM's..
The Westone 3 along with the TF10's were on my doubtlist along with the IE8, but you made me sure again i made the right decision! (regarding the W3 atleast, i'll just pretend the tf10's dont excist)
I'll probable share some thoughts after a 40+ hour burn in..

Haha, i hope u will enjoy it. I really love it due to it's natural sounding, although i forgot to write on my comparison that another bad point about the IE8 is that it has a flat feel somehow. But anyway, i hope it sounds great to u. If it isn't, well... it's just personal taste though
atsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #744 of 8,119
Anyone else find the IE8 cable unstable and a little annoying over the back of the ear?
Especially while moving around, i.e. walking, running. Tried the ear hooks but found them uncomfortable.
I love everything about these IEM's, except i find myself distracted by the movement of the cable behind my ear.
What i really want is an upgraded pair of ear hooks, but i can't find any anywhere!

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #745 of 8,119
Awesome!!!
Mine just arrived, i'm giving them some burn time now! I'll probable start using them after 24 hours..
But i may get impatient, and try them in a minute
biggrin.gif

First cosmetic impressions:
Had alot of fun unboxxing these, best package design i've seen in a while.
The thing i noticed right off after lifting the flap on the front, was that the bass adjusters, the screws, aren't metal looking, but black plastic.
(like so http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/...f16964.jpg?v=0 )
Was a bit of a scare, haven't heard anyone about it, guess its ok?
Anyway, the boxing is filled with nice surprises, i hope the SQ is too!

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #746 of 8,119
i chose these on a basic principle, i checked the B/S/T section, after the initial purchesses for the impressions thread, no IE8 for sale,

after the initial puchesses for the impression thread, around 4 W3´s for sale,

people say stuff, its only words, but the truth,
its in the actions, where you see the true reality of the situation, and the reality is, no IE8 went on the chopping block, people kept them,

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #747 of 8,119
I returned my IE8's.. others have aswell. Its listed in this thread aswell as others.
Check again mister
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #748 of 8,119
I think the reason you saw a few Westone 3's in the FS forums is people either bought them from Marco Polo which doesn't have a return policy or people who bought them with the Live Cash Back and other coupons were reselling for profit.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #749 of 8,119
i just got my IE8, sound muddy, maybe the burn in will help, but considering the EX82, the CX300, the Atrio M5 and the Triple.fi 10, using the large foamies, they are the most comfterble IEM´s i ever owned,

i have to say, out of the box, they sound alot like the atrios, maybe a bit more refined,

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #750 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason you saw a few Westone 3's in the FS forums is people either bought them from Marco Polo which doesn't have a return policy or people who bought them with the Live Cash Back and other coupons were reselling for profit.

Or people just didn't like them. That's always a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back