Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #3,904 of 8,119
Hi all, thanks entirely to this thread I decided to buy IE8’s and mine arrived this morning after 20 days. I got fed up waiting for Play.com to get stock and cancelled and bought from Innovate Entertainment, an Amazon merchant.

Getting the box open without damage took some doing, a good thing really as it confirms that the package is brand new. Looking at the selection of tips provided one would expect all bases to be covered. Just in case though, I have ready the Sony ep-ex10a kit as recommended here.

To familiarise, I played around with the ear hooks, they may not be strictly necessary but I can see a use for when you want to talk to someone as they allow the IEM to be removed from the ear and hold them dangling ready to be reinserted.

My headphone experience to date consists of Shure E2c (purchased 5 years ago) listened via a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 PDA and then a Nokia N800. So my reference point is quite low.

This is all changing now and I have had a week of listening to the E2c’s via my also newly acquired iBasso D10 and iRiver H140 with digital optical toslink by Sysconcept. Again, all thanks to Head-Fiers’ contributions and advice.

Also I just bought a US spec Sansa Clip for work-out use. From what I have gathered, this is superior to the European Health & Safety volume hobbled specification. Thanks dfkt and anythingbutipod!

Richer Sounds here in London are selling their last few Sennheiser PX 100’s for £25.49 and I got them just to have something different. These are well thought of on Head-Fi and anythingbutipod. So they provide me with another and different reference point too.

Judging by the experienced analytical first impressions reported here I fully expected to dislike the IE8’s on first hearing and for them to get good eventually after burn-in. So I am very happy that I really like them instantly. Now I can hear bass, upper range, strong presentation and musical involvement. Finally I ’get’ soundstage, I can’t say I ever heard it before on headphones.

So for me burn-in is going to be a very pleasurable experience and not the chore I had anticipated. Even at this ‘raw’ stage they are in a different league entirely to the E2c’s and PX 100’s. So even if they don’t improve I shall be happy for quite a while. I stress that this is all totally subjective and coming from my very limited experience and low-fi reference points and not be taken as challenging more expert assessments.

There is probably not much point in saying much else for the next 400 hours while I burn-in and experiment with tips and rips. My files are VBR at the ogg equivalent of 192kbps and I want to experiment with what differences I will hear with higher bitrates and even lossless.

I probably tend to write in a detached style but you will all understand the excitement I feel as I am about to embark on a whole new world of musical exploration and enjoyment. I am thrilled to bits to be at this point. Thanks again to everyone here.

May 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3,905 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dumb Quick Reply

Thanks a lot!!!

May 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #3,906 of 8,119
Quote:

BTW anybody know why pink noise is used for burning? There is white noise
Or even simple music!

dfkt has posted his experience whereby he bought 2 pairs of identical iem’s and burned one in by normal listening and the other by pink noise. He reports that the end result was dramatic. The normal burn-in phones were far superior to the others.

His considered advice is not to use artificial burn-in enhancements such as pink, white noise etc. but to play back a wide variety of music and to enjoy the process of observing change.

See post 2080
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f.../index139.html

May 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #3,907 of 8,119
Yeah, maybe I should revisit the question in six months and see how people have done then
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think anybody here has them long enough to judge conclusively. Some had their IE 8's nozzle accidentally coming apart (not break) when pulled, but that can easily be glued back, apparently.

But to me, three months on I really feel that this is one heck of a durable IEM. The cable is soft, flexible and yet tough and exhibits no microphonics. Sennheiser claims that the cords are kevlar reinforced and I have found no reasons to doubt them yet.

Despite being made of plastic, the IE 8 doesn't seem to suffer from any potential defects or issues that may arise later on. They are very very light too. I use to keep them in a case, but lately I just hang them when not in used or stuff them in my jacket pocket. Naturally I am a bit more careful with them. At the price, who wouldn't? I certainly would not let them get near my keys, or indeed my cat (if I had one).

Finally it comes with a standard two year warranty and detachable cable solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I can' comment on long term build quality and durability (someone have to jump in here) ... but to me they do look like a pair of robust IEM. I have to comment that I really like the design. Some people commented that they are "ugly" ... but to me they are just beautifully crafted. Yes, they look a bit "strange" but in rather positive way. I like non-flashy and understated look. They look like pro IEM, no doubt. It's typical example of German understated engineering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to say mine had it's sennheiser logo dropped off from one of the side, it's a small piece of plastic if you observed. I couldn't find it nor locate it since i didn't even know when it dropped till i just saw it.

Detachable cable is good, though for me not essential. The only headphone I have ever had fail on me was the Sony EX71 and the notorious right driver failure. Other than that all my headphones have passed the "not cool to carry a case so the cans hang loose" test. Ahem
biggrin.gif

I'd be peeved if the logo dropped off for me. Little things a customer expects when they drop 3 figures on something. Not bothered about looks - they are IEM, and my hair would be covering them anyhow
tongue.gif
Is "nozzle accidentally came off" euphemism for end-user mistake or bad workmanship? I appreciate people like to defend purchases but you have to call it like it is and I've never heard of a flagship IEM with something like that

May 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #3,909 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dfkt has posted his experience whereby he bought 2 pairs of identical iem’s and burned one in by normal listening and the other by pink noise. He reports that the end result was dramatic. The normal burn-in phones were far superior to the others.

His considered advice is not to use artificial burn-in enhancements such as pink, white noise etc. but to play back a wide variety of music and to enjoy the process of observing change.

See post 2080
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f.../index139.html

Yes. personally I dont burn in using noise. I just listen to them. From what I read, continuous burn-in using pink noise could damage the drivers from extreme stress. If you really have to burn-in using noise, put slient tones in-between.

I favour the process of between music playback and no usage, it lets the drivers to rest.

May 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #3,911 of 8,119
Just got these about a week ago! Although these sound fantastic, I just cannot deal with the discomfort in my ears because of problems concerning my antitragus. The problem isn't with the IEMs but my ears so I am putting these up for sale (with everything included in the box). They are currently $250. I haven't worn them for more than 2 hours at most, so these are in virtually perfect condition. Please check my for sale post for the specifics.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...canada-422342/

May 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #3,912 of 8,119
Just got these about a week ago! Although these sound fantastic, I just cannot deal with the discomfort in my ears because of problems concerning my antitragus. The problem isn't with the IEMs but my ears so I am putting these up for sale (with everything included in the box). They are currently $250. I haven't worn them for more than 2 hours at most, so these are in virtually perfect condition. Please check my for sale post for the specifics.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...canada-422342/

EDIT: Sry double post, stupid quick reply...

May 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3,914 of 8,119
May 3, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #3,915 of 8,119
I clicked on submit reply and it was loading. Then it stopped loading and it was still on the same page. So I clicked it again and it was fine but it posted twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back