Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #3,887 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same cracking sound with the IE7s and my Touch 2G. I think it went away, will let you know.

Aha, funny but they actually went away.
Well while spining jack don't hear them anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

I like bass, very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
but still expect better sound in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #3,889 of 8,119
I own both. IMO, they sound similar, the HD650 is very airy though. I'm using the HD650 w/ WA6.

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #3,890 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U doing it wrong :p

The circular metal loop is actually for cleaning the tips.

LOL yeah I realise that, though I find it pretty fail in that aspect too.

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #3,891 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U doing it wrong :p

The circular metal loop is actually for cleaning the tips.

Useless for that too. I rather they bundle a toothbrush! Fortunately my ears aren't that waxy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q: What's the durability been like for long-term owners?

I do not think anybody here has them long enough to judge conclusively. Some had their IE 8's nozzle accidentally coming apart (not break) when pulled, but that can easily be glued back, apparently.

But to me, three months on I really feel that this is one heck of a durable IEM. The cable is soft, flexible and yet tough and exhibits no microphonics. Sennheiser claims that the cords are kevlar reinforced and I have found no reasons to doubt them yet.

Despite being made of plastic, the IE 8 doesn't seem to suffer from any potential defects or issues that may arise later on. They are very very light too. I use to keep them in a case, but lately I just hang them when not in used or stuff them in my jacket pocket. Naturally I am a bit more careful with them. At the price, who wouldn't? I certainly would not let them get near my keys, or indeed my cat (if I had one).

Finally it comes with a standard two year warranty and detachable cable solution.

May 1, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #3,892 of 8,119
lol I dont think they can survive being chewed by your dog though as we saw from an earlier post

May 1, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #3,893 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman
You can call Sennheiser CS and ask them. At least one head-fi'er here has succeeded in getting spare tips by calling their CS department. They come in packs of five pairs in different sizes. You can get the individual part numbers from here:

Hey, thanks for that. Much appreciated. Only question is what's the part number of those small double flange black tips. I don't recognise the names from the part list (and there are no pictures) ... hmmm. Lamella ?!

Speaking of double flanges. I believe that someone from this very thread recommended Double Flange Ear Bud Cushion for Sony In-Ear Headphone - eBay (item 380119991227 end time May-24-09 21:52:31 PDT) and some Sony tips were preferable (although I did read that it's a pain to get them on/off). Did anyone had a play with Comply T-400 maybe ? I'm just thinking if it would be a less hustle just to order some other tips, highly regarded from the users here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut
Get yourself familiar with IE8 sound first and only then find a suitable amp to shape to your preference sound. Let it burn around 400+ hours to settle down.

Sounds like a plan
wink_face.gif
Exactly what I had in mind. I'm in no rush for the amp. I mean, I can build cMoy in the next couple of days just for fun ... but honestly I'm rather keen to investigate what IE8 can offer me without any "helping hand".

Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115
I stop burn in when it hits 350 hrs. From my experience, it will have another great change between 250-350, less veil especially low end, more control at bass and more forward

From all the comments about the burn-in, I can only conclude that IE8 does have rather special "character" and you do have to spend some time to get familiar with it
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, that can be only one big plus
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
In particular I am wondering about confidence in build quality...

Unfortunately, I can' comment on long term build quality and durability (someone have to jump in here) ... but to me they do look like a pair of robust IEM. I have to comment that I really like the design. Some people commented that they are "ugly" ... but to me they are just beautifully crafted. Yes, they look a bit "strange" but in rather positive way. I like non-flashy and understated look. They look like pro IEM, no doubt. It's typical example of German understated engineering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koruki
I went from under the tip sliding it in and just going in a circular motion so free all the edges and slowly wedged them out as I know silicon has a characteristic to stick a bit.

I see. That's completely on contrary what the manual says, but interesting approach nevertheless. You just need to stretch the silicon a bit, yes, and I used to pick up the top end, stretch it a bit on the side and then pull it over. But for the very small tips this could be tricky affair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav
I own both. IMO, they sound similar, the HD650 is very airy though. I'm using the HD650 w/ WA6.

Well ... this may open one rather interesting subject. Can IE8 be used, apart from mobility aspect, as static monitors for critical listening (as swap for your trustworthy full sized over-the-head set-up) ? I have heavily modified X-CAN with Mullard ECC valves paired with HD600. What immediately was obvious to me (when swapping back and forth between the HD600 and IE8) is rather impressive IE8 soundscape (for IEM). You really do have that over-the-head feeling and that brought immediately one serious grin to my face
icon10.gif
If someone tested the Ultrasone sample CD (aural recordings) ... it's very obvious.

Last night I was auditioning the IE8 by watching the movies (HTPC/Home cinema set-up). It was really good. There was one particular scene where two people had a chat in relatively quiet room ... but room was not quiet at all! I could easily hear and pin point the source of every faint or distant noise. For example, there was one small clock ticking just behind on the left, there was faint song from the bird just above and outside the window, there was car siren just in the distant front. Apart from the impressive soundscape, I could almost sense that people are chatting just in front of me. Great midrange too.

I need more time to test and, of course, for IE8 to settle down. Honestly, I wouldn't mind them as an replacement for HD600. Sometimes with full sized headphones I have that "clump" felling over my head and they do start to hurt after some time (well my head particularly). When I master the comfort level for IE8 ... I will seriously consider them as HD600 swap when I feel like it.

May 1, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #3,894 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Despite being made of plastic, the IE 8 doesn't seem to suffer from any potential defects or issues that may arise later on. They are very very light too. I use to keep them in a case, but lately I just hang them when not in used or stuff them in my jacket pocket. Naturally I am a bit more careful with them. At the price, who wouldn't? I certainly would not let them get near my keys, or indeed my cat (if I had one).

Sorry to say mine had it's sennheiser logo dropped off from one of the side, it's a small piece of plastic if you observed. I couldn't find it nor locate it since i didn't even know when it dropped till i just saw it.

May 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #3,895 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for that. Much appreciated. Only question is what's the part number of those small double flange black tips. I don't recognise the names from the part list (and there are no pictures) ... hmmm. Lamella ?!

I think they are called Lamella, but best to confirm first. Not sure why Sennheiser didn't just call them dual flange instead of this rather fancy term...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to say mine had it's sennheiser logo dropped off from one of the side, it's a small piece of plastic if you observed. I couldn't find it nor locate it since i didn't even know when it dropped till i just saw it.

I think I'm going to check mine now...

Still there!

May 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #3,896 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm going to check mine now...

Still there!

Haha good for you, mine was properly taken care of and yet the plastic logo just dropped off..

May 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #3,897 of 8,119
He
smily_headphones1.gif

Just tried all tips that come with earphones. None of them fits me
smily_headphones1.gif

Except those that is set by default
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad that at least they are perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Now i understand, why i am so lucky that at least 1 pair of default tips fits
smily_headphones1.gif

I also broke one small double-flange, too hard to take them off. ( somebody else wrote that broken them too )
So if you like them, be very careful. Thank God i don't need them
smily_headphones1.gif

Also tried those tips which was perfect with CX 300. With IE 8 they are not so good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #3,898 of 8,119
I've found in previous posts mention about some 'virtual barber shop'.
And I'am amazed too
smily_headphones1.gif
)) it's so funny(don't know why, but I laughed actually, while listening), like I'am really there. I don't even suspect that its possible to hear that detiled and so real sounds with this 'soundstage'(now i really know what it is)
smily_headphones1.gif
of sound on IEM.

The funniest part was when man approached slowly and whispered to my ears. Also when he was using scissors. My ears never heard that kind of detailed sound. I'am a happy man.

Now I really know that IE 8 really cost that kind of money.

May 2, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #3,899 of 8,119
I guess I am one of the few that had luck with the included ear tips. I was having a tough time figuring out if I liked the small black foam tip or the medium double flange tip the best. Then I ordered those Sony hybrid tips 3 weeks ago and found the SS tip to be the "bees knees". Now, depending on the situation, I use either the supplied double flange tip or the Sony SS tip.

May 2, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #3,900 of 8,119
Guys, if you want to hear more 3 D Audio. Follow this link.
YouTube - Virtual Thunderstorm - Sound Illusion Sound is just spectacular.

BTW anybody know why pink noise is used for burning? There is white noise
smily_headphones1.gif

Or even simple music!
smily_headphones1.gif

If anybody can send me file with pink noise, it will be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Cant find anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back