Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Jan 20, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #256 of 746

Quote:
I'm jealous of the flatter curves shown throughout most of the range in the earlier batches

I think that the last batch is more user friendly. With the first, we have often heard some people complaining about some harsh treble and more weak bass, not with the last batch. Its just my opinion, maybe i m wrong.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #257 of 746
Agreed. One of these days I'll make it to a meet or find some other opportunity to compare mine versus an early batch unit. Personally I tend to enjoy sonic signatures that many others consider too bright -- within reason.

Quote:

I think that the last batch is more user friendly. With the first, we have often heard some people complaining about some harsh treble and more weak bass, not with the last batch. Its just my opinion, maybe i m wrong.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #258 of 746
I don't get it, how come the one from headroom is different than the ones you guys received? 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=863

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #260 of 746

Quote:
I don't get it, how come the one from headroom is different than the ones you guys received? 

Differences in drivers, testing material, etc

My HD 800 graph is framed, It looks similar to the OP's graph, with those steps, I was kinda skeptical when I first saw it. I think headroom's graph is more accurate.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #261 of 746

Quote:
it isn't, it just doesn't show below 100 Hz

Wow... man. I suggest you to take a closer look again. Most of the graphs here dont fluctuate more than a total of 5 db. The one I showed you has fluctuations in the amplitude in excess of 10 db. Besides, it doesnt correspond to the ones showed here. 

I have read other posts on another thread, of a person claiming to buying 2 different sets of HD800 within 3 weeks, and they sounded totally different. 

Personally, i think these headphones are amazing, and despite not planning on buying them yet, I am certainly looking forward to it. But results like these concern me. I mean, having different sounding HD800s means that they are all handmade/handtuned to perfection, but these differences are not slight at all!

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #262 of 746

Quote:

It depends on how the headphones are measured.

A headphone's frequency response is tailored to reflect the fact that the driver is sitting on the head right by the ear.

You can measure headphones by using a dummy head microphone line the Neumann KU 100

Or you can measure with a microphone attached to a flat plate.

The choice of microphone will make a difference.

The only thing really good about the HeadRoom measurements is that they are consistent and you can compare headphones with each other - better, to compare the response of headphones you have and know well to ones you are thinking of buying so you can assess the differences.

I would not use them as absolute accurate frequency responses as to what you will actually hear.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #263 of 746

Quote:
It depends on how the headphones are measured.

A headphone's frequency response is tailored to reflect the fact that the driver is sitting on the head right by the ear.

You can measure headphones by using a dummy head microphone line the Neumann KU 100

Or you can measure with a microphone attached to a flat plate.

The choice of microphone will make a difference.

The only thing really good about the HeadRoom measurements is that they are consistent and you can compare headphones with each other - better, to compare the response of headphones you have and know well to ones you are thinking of buying so you can assess the differences.

I would not use them as absolute accurate frequency responses as to what you will actually hear.

I understand that, however, do you think there can be such huge differences as seen between the two things i pointed out. The fluctuations seen on the headroom graph are much more different than the one on the Sennheiser test.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #265 of 746

Quote:

I understand that, however, do you think there can be such huge differences as seen between the two things i pointed out. The fluctuations seen on the headroom graph are much more different than the one on the Sennheiser test.

As I said, there are various ways of measuring headphones.

You can measure in various ways - you can take the straight measurement - you can adjust with specified curves that compensate for how the ear hears, etc.....

The measurements are just done differently.

Both are correct as measured.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #266 of 746

Quote:

It's not the phones, it's the different measurement techniques.  Sample variance is much smaller on the 800s compared to differences in measurement techniques and especially other ToTL phones floating around here.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #270 of 746
Here's the graph for my HD800. Serial number 12747. 

My HD800 won't be here until tomorrow... The wait is agonizing. I have never heard a HD800 before. 6k peak looks a little troublesome to me, but it's not massive like the T1's treble peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back