Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Apr 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #496 of 746
I thought 28xxx don't have 6kHz issue. This is the first 28xxx I'm seeing with the peak issue.

Agreed.  This was my impression also.  It would have appeared by many accounts that the 6khz peak issue had been solved.  I had even requested a late serial number with this in mind.

I trust you, you hear exactly what i heard between my new hd800 and one of the first models i bought years ago.

here, they are trying to let me think i am crazy and i'm seeing things. and crazy or not i'm sure it is like this, especially for sibilance

Although the tolerances are still very tight across the frequency spectrum,  perhaps even more so in the case of the HD-800,  the issue could not be missed.

Perhaps in my case not only was the 6khz spike the issue but across the board the freq variations could have produced an almost "perfect storm" scenario. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #497 of 746
Very interesting Mortalcoil and a touch worrying. I am glad you got a good pair in the end. It is a shame that Sennheiser don't provide the graph in the box...because there are many purchasers who simply buy "the best" without researching this level of detail and wouldn't care. But for those that are very specific they could see their purchase before leaving the shop.

What is even more interesting is you could profoundly hear the difference between the two.....

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #498 of 746
I'm still sceptical as to hearing the difference, would be very surprised if this could be shown during a double blind test but let's not revisit that theme. The reason -or one of the reasons- Sennheiser don't provide the certificate in the bix itself is exactly to prevent cherry-picking. Unsurprisingly, people who elect to shell out this amount for a set of cans tend to do some research before purchasing.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #499 of 746
  Very interesting Mortalcoil and a touch worrying. I am glad you got a good pair in the end. It is a shame that Sennheiser don't provide the graph in the box...because there are many purchasers who simply buy "the best" without researching this level of detail and wouldn't care. But for those that are very specific they could see their purchase before leaving the shop.

What is even more interesting is you could profoundly hear the difference between the two.....

Definitely .....the difference was really that noticeable.  I suppose (as mentioned by others also) the main reason that Senn refuses to include the graph in each box is the concern of customers "cherry picking".  LoL  would be nice though.

This is one of those things jonstatt that if the freq chart was not provided I would likely just chalk the HD-800 as a bright hp.  The idea / term that "what you don't know cant hurt you" comes to mind if you get my drift.

I am sure that of all the HD-800's being sold most buyers aren't even aware of such a graph, or the 6khz issue. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #500 of 746
I'm still sceptical as to hearing the difference, would be very surprised if this could be shown during a double blind test but let's not revisit that theme. The reason -or one of the reasons- Sennheiser don't provide the certificate in the bix itself is exactly to prevent cherry-picking. Unsurprisingly, people who elect to shell out this amount for a set of cans tend to do some research before purchasing.

Keep in mind that the Head Fi community is rather small in the whole scope of things.  There is still a vast majority of buyers who will never know of a 6khz spike or even bother to request a freq graph.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #502 of 746
  I would bet serious money that no one can hear the difference in that "spike" (in quotes because a spike is a significant deviation, not a tiny bump)

LOL ...Well what ever it was I heard it was a difference worth noting.  Not to mention the fact that the hp was returned in place for a different unit.  I stated that I heard a major difference ... your ears ...maybe not.  Your one of the lucky ones I suppose.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #505 of 746
Looking at buying some HD800's second hand but serial number starts with 09 and most of the ones I have seen start with 20. Are these genuine? They are only a year old..

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #506 of 746
Looking at buying some HD800's second hand but serial number starts with 09 and most of the ones I have seen start with 20. Are these genuine? They are only a year old..

They'll be older, that's for sure. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, I purchased my pair (16xx number) about 1.5 years ago, it had been in a high-end showroom and was absolutely pristine.  Otoh if the seller lies about this then caveat emptor about the rest of what he tells you.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #507 of 746

my graph! batch 09xxx

That treble peak
tongue.gif

Just kidding. Here's a tone generator if you want to see exactly what the "peaked" frequencies sound like, so you'll know to mentally compensate when listening to music. http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #510 of 746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back