Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #1,501 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This weekend I plan on running around the house plugging the HD800 into every headphone amp I have...really. So this will include the 336SE.

Sweet, look forward to reading your impressions!

Maybe you could start a topic along the lines of "Cheap(er) headphone amps that pair well with the HD 800" heh.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #1,502 of 6,607
Quote:

This weekend I plan on running around the house plugging the HD800 into every headphone amp I have...really. So this will include the 336SE.

if you have a chance, also please include your comment with Slee Solo, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #1,503 of 6,607
Quote:

Opps, didn't mean to open a can of worms, now we're bustin yer britches.
dt880smile.png

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #1,504 of 6,607
No worries - that actually basically is my plan for tomorrow.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #1,505 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one needs to temper expectations with respect to soundstage and 'phones in general. And specifically with respect to the 800, I think that some reviewers are characterizing the 800's ability to "disappear" as great soundstage. To me, this disappearing act is characteristic of the best 'stats and one of the most impressive feats by the 800 as a dynamic can. In my opinion, the 800 is vastly superior to the 600/650 in terms of soundstage because it does not have the "3 blobs" effect that seems to stay with those phones, even as they scale up. Conversely, the 800 just seems to melt away. However, this does not necessarily mean that the imaging becomes exponentially deeper or wider. Rather, I think it just becomes so much more precise. I think there are a lot of reviewers who have not yet experienced this perceived phenomenon of the "disappearing act," and they are overstating the soundstage of the 800.

Put another way, they don't sound like speakers; they sound like headphones.

As for your other question with respect to DAC and amp. I have found from past experience that a DAC like the north star m192 mk2 and an amp like the HR Balanced Desktop have increased my perception of depth and width of the soundstage. I will set aside for now the question of whether this peception is due to the gear itself or just my brain.

Fair enough. The personal investment in a pair of phones is important to acknowledge when formulating and reading impressions. I would just note 2 things: 1) many here know that they will be able to recoup most, if not all, of their costs should they decide to sell (for now...), so that the risk of paying a lot for something they cannot get rid of is limited (again, for now) and 2) do you plan to buy these phones if you like them? If so, I would argue that you are not purely an analyzer, but rather a potential purchaser. Perhaps a difference without a distinction, but a difference nevertheless.

EDIT: Sorry, skylab, reread your post and saw that you are considering buying the phones and that you want to like them. I think that is not quite the same as the completely neutral analyzer. Note, I do not mean to argue for argument's sake because I applaud the concerted effort to avoid FOTM hysteria here. I'm just trying to make sure the discussion is as transparent as possible because I think that will help us draw conclusions, if any. Regardless, I look forward to reading where you come out on these--for "better" or for "worse."
wink.gif

Not getting in the way of the music is what you mean by disappearing act?

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #1,506 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm the guy kool bubba ice was referring to. I had my SA5000's with me all day Sunday out and about, so I'm sorry you didn't see me, IpodPJ. I was doing a lot of comparison listening, since I was looking for great thrash metal headphones.

I stuffed some foam in the back of the earcups of my SA5000, which kills that terrible echo, but swallows up some of the soundstage. I agree that the HD 800 are better headphones overall, and what surprised me is really how close in speed the SA5000 and HD 800 are to the electrostats I listened to. I'd say it's about 85% to 90% of the way to a Stax earspeaker. However, the HD 800 had a slightly hot treble sound, just like the Stax Omega 2, and it gave an airy presentation, whereas the SA5000 does not.

By the way, I heard those Qualia's too. It was like putting a couple of hard leather dress shoes on my head, and sounded like a conch shell inside with no music playing. They were way too big.

Wasn't meant to put you on the spot.. I just expected the HD800 to be 010 fast like, if not faster..

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #1,507 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not getting in the way of the music is what you mean by disappearing act?

Maybe. I guess I don't really know what that means even though I use the term, too. All I can do is try to convey the feeling of it: the headphone seems to melt away and there's just sound. However, this does not mean that the soundstage increases vastly. Maybe a bit, but the soundstage still presents like a headphone, albeit a very good one.

This is why I don't write reviews.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #1,509 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just coming up for air.

Holy balls... these things good.

I'm going to close the laptop and get back to listening.

Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #1,510 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just coming up for air.

Holy balls... these things good.

I'm going to close the laptop and get back to listening.

I though you said you would rather spend the money on speakers than get the hd800s
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #1,511 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I though you said you would rather spend the money on speakers than get the hd800s
biggrin.gif

Yep, and now he has both
biggrin.gif
(come on, I think it's time for an HD800 smiley already
tongue.gif
)

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #1,512 of 6,607
I decided for fun to build an adaptor so I could plug them into the speaker terminals of an old Luxman tube amp. I now understand why some people would prefer a tube amp for these.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #1,515 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm officially selling pretty much everything b/c the 800 is that good.

I've been very tempted to sell the K1K without even being able to power it right now lol. I am really trying not too(so I can at least try them on the Woo), but I don't see the purpose in owning another headphone at the moment. When I have them on, I am very content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back