Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #1,516 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Rosanne Cash CD and I don't hear a sibilance problem on that particular track. I have an original Latent LP pressing of The Trinity Sessions and I will check that out again.

I listened to the Misguided Angel track on that original LP pressing (using my vintage Yamaha HP-1), and while I don't hear obvious sibilance, it is not exactly an example of a dry vocal either. The real ambience in the church is obviously enhancing things.

I didn't hear any problem on the Rosanne Cash track.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #1,517 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the Misguided Angel track on that original LP pressing (using my vintage Yamaha HP-1), and while I don't hear obvious sibilance, it is not exactly an example of a dry vocal either. The real ambience in the church is obviously enhancing things.

I didn't hear any problem on the Rosanne Cash track.

Beagle, what I’m hearing is not “sibilance” a word I used previously but now feel that it’s the wrong adjective. A deviation in the upper most treble region would be better in describing what I’m hearing. It’s slight, but there. It doesn’t detract from my listening pleasure at all. If fact it’s probably giving the music a little excitement.

But it’s still early days and this could all be pre-mature considering the hours I’ve put on my phones.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #1,519 of 6,607
OK, kinda late impression, but I don't want to put myself in FOTM. So I listened more and waited more....

1.) HD800 are the most detailed phones I've ever heard/owned (and I really have experience with various kinds of headphones except stats) I mean, I really could hear some background noise I had not noticed in some recordings.

2.) They are a bit heavy in hand, but the weight disappear on head. They are also the most comfortable phones I've ever wore, even beating KH-K1000 and HD6x0.

3.) Overall sound is very neutral with some treble... They are indeed improved version of AKG K70x (ok, a lot of people are going to disagree with this......) Yet, the sound is very warm, general Sennheiser sound.

4.) While sometimes it lacks body, the sound is very effortless and not forced at all. Thanks god, I have too many headphones that try to push music into my ears, hurting them in process. These phones don't.

5.) the separation is extremely good as well.

6.) While HD800 reveal everything, the warm sound helps me to listen some of worse recorded pieces, but unlike HD6x0, they are not that crappy-record-proof. So for the wanna-be/future HD800 owners, I think you have to have at least one very forgiving headphones to solve this issue (i.e HD650, KH-K1000)

7.) They are indeed master of all trades (NOT jack of all trades), but obviously they are the best for Classicial, while some rock records can sound weird.

8.) The conclusion of sound is that HD800 have very neutral, balanced sound with some treble strength, yet very warm enough to be forgiving headphones, while revealing everything in the music.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #1,521 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the cable of HD800 as flexibile as that of HD650 ?

Not really. They are thick and a jack body is HUGE.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #1,522 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beagle, what I’m hearing is not “sibilance” a word I used previously but now feel that it’s the wrong adjective. A deviation in the upper most treble region would be better in describing what I’m hearing. It’s slight, but there. It doesn’t detract from my listening pleasure at all. If fact it’s probably giving the music a little excitement.

I would think if you heard the "sibilance" enough at high volumes, your ears would eventually adapt to it, and you won't hear it much anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #1,523 of 6,607
There's something about the HD 800 that I've never found before in any other set (though I'm really hoping to be able to).

It punches out the fundamentals of all the notes really well. So what happens is that you can tell even when there's a slight bit out of tune on the PIANO.

I heard that on Best Audiophile Voices recording on Jane Monheit's Somewhere Over The Rainbow for the first time I tried the HD800 paired with Heed Canamp in Jaben. Blew my mind away as the Lavry DA11 + R10 combo couldn't bring the same thing out to me. It was that sensitive to pitch with its strong sense of fundamentals.

Fell in love with it. But I'm just waiting for JH13s and hopefully it'll sound at the same level as that. =)

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #1,524 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obviously they are the best for Classicial, while some rock records can sound weird.

I'm interested in more detail on this point. Which rock records? Weird how?

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,525 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in more detail on this point. Which rock records? Weird how?

Well, some rock recordings are not supposed to have a large soundstage in the first place. With HD800's gigantic soundstage, the sound is kinda hallow. This is where Grados shine, but again, that's pretty only case when Grados shine.......

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,526 of 6,607
Quote:

Well, some rock recordings are not supposed to have a large soundstage in the first place. With HD800's gigantic soundstage, the sound is kinda hallow. This is where Grados shine, but again, that's pretty only case when Grados shine.......

I find one of the surprising things with the HD-800s, is that they seem to pull in the sound stage, unlike my K701s that do give me a very hallow feeling.

Yes my Grados do a good job for a small sound stage but are still lacking in the bass, as where the HD-800s are not.

ss

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,527 of 6,607
Quote:

This is EXACTLY like what i feel the first time i tried it on the audition with Sennheiser.

For songs that has not much reverb it sound detail and good, the additional reverb is welcome and adds feeling on a large soundstage, nice ...
For song which already have some reverb, it becoming a little too much like Eva Cassidy's "Over the Rainbow", Dido's "Burning Love" bass take a little longer to stop the bass completely, it's like the bass bouncing over a large stadium. I have a feeling the steel mesh 'might' partly responsible to the extra reverb effect.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #1,529 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll say it.....BEST HEADPHONES OF ALL TIME.....yes ALL TIME.
CASE CLOSED.

Yep they are. And with the Lehmann even better yet.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #1,530 of 6,607
Surely, we can only say that they are the best that we have heard, and that that is dependent on the equipment with which we have used them?

By way of simple example, I am currently feeding two signals from the same DAC (a Benchmark DAC1) into a Kimik-modified Stax 006t, with Nordost Vishnu mains cables feeding both of them (with Fururech mains plugs with hi-fi tuning fuses, one plug's terminals being rhodium coated, the other having gold coating; both have Furutech FI-50 IECs), and then into Omega 2 Mk 1 electrostatics. One signal, from the balanced output but converted to single-ended with a Neutrik converter, is going through a Nordost Heimdall interconnect. The other is the single-ended output and is going through a Nordost Quattro Fil. The latter is much less precise and punchy, but I suspect that with some software will sound better.

Can anyone let us know how a well-fed O2 Mk 1 sounds in comparison with the HD800s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back