Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #1,546 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw,did anyone try them with a receiver or a T-amp? I'm looking for a cheap way to drive them,sorry if it's off topic..

At the Bristol Hi-Fi show, Sceptre tried them with a Graham Slee Voyager (the portable amp at less than £200) and was happy how it drove them.

He did post it here somewhere, but there are too many posts to trawl through to find the original post.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #1,547 of 6,607
Just ordered my Little Dot MK V "Dual-Mono" Headphone Amp and Little Dot DAC USB Digital to Analog Converter. I hope they are going to bring life into my HD 800. I tried it with iBasso D2 and the D2 couldn't drive it properly.

I am still very new into hi-fi and previous experience was a bit disappointing. Any suggestions or expectations?

cheers

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #1,549 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HP2s definitely need some java in their veins! Great observation.

Actually, they just need a good amp. I found the HPA to make them sound lifeless. IMO - find a Melos or upper end tube amp, the impact they provide is breathtaking.

Also, superman's ears would have a different opinion if he had a sufficient amp for the Ks. Super sell some of those phones and amp them right. You won't regret it. They scale with source, ICs, power cables, power conditioners, isolation, etc.

Or keep it simple by selling them and just keeping the HD800s - only problem is that "content" feeling is always the case when something new comes out, and after time it usually gets old except for the K-1000s. Every time I put them on after years of ownership I'm blown away like it's my first time....

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #1,550 of 6,607
Today i tried hd 800 with my x can v8,sony dvp ns 705 and i liked them better than my hd 600.I didn't find sibilance to be an issue.Maybe they are a bit metalic sounding and slight more edgier in the treble but they are not sibilant,at least with my set up.(and i am sensitive to harsh sssssss and cymbals)
I really can't get these cans out of my mind.They sounded wonderfull,but unfortunately i don't have the money to buy them now
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #1,551 of 6,607
Quote:

Hehe,you just made me reconsider them, and my wallet will suffer because of you
happy_face1.gif

it's just that 1400$ is a TON of money for me,and i am kind of affraid to buy them and regret it...
but i hope to audition them sometime,i am sure i'll like them,i have a gut feeling about it.

btw,did anyone try them with a receiver or a T-amp?i'm looking for a cheap way to drive them,sorry if it's off topic..

I have about 300 hours on a head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube hybrid DAC/amp, and at first it was a bit bright with the HD800 but it has opened up and developed a more solid foundation, and with Raytheon tubes it has improved another notch. It can still be a tiny bit bright at times with some highly compressed rock music but is just right for jazz, classical, acoustic, new age and electronic. I only hear sibilance if it is there in the recording (some diana krall recordings, but not all). At under $200 it is the cheapest decent DAC/amp for the HD800 that beats using most portables and keeps up with some more costly desktop amps (I will try the Millett SSH later this week with HD800). Adding my Pico DAC-only instead of the built in Burr Brown PCM2702 Japan DAC brings the level of sound up further, but the stock DAC is not bad at all (same as in 3MOVE and XM5 portable DAC/amps). The point is, EF2 will drive them and buy you some time to get a better amp, without making you wish you had the better amp like yesterday. I am listening to this combo right now, with Patricia Barber "Companion" and enjoying it very much.

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #1,552 of 6,607
Thank you very much
beyersmile.png

points taken.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 300 hours on a head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube hybrid DAC/amp, and at first it was a bit bright with the HD800 but it has opened up and developed a more solid foundation, and with Raytheon tubes it has improved another notch. It can still be a tiny bit bright at times with some highly compressed rock music but is just right for jazz, classical, acoustic, new age and electronic. I only hear sibilance if it is there in the recording (some diana krall recordings, but not all). At under $200 it is the cheapest decent DAC/amp for the HD800 that beats using most portables and keeps up with some more costly desktop amps (I will try the Millett SSH later this week with HD800). Adding my Pico DAC-only instead of the built in Burr Brown PCM2702 Japan DAC brings the level of sound up further, but the stock DAC is not bad at all (same as in 3MOVE and XM5 portable DAC/amps). The point is, EF2 will drive them and buy you some time to get a better amp, without making you wish you had the better amp like yesterday. I am listening to this combo right now, with Patricia Barber "Companion" and enjoying it very much.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #1,554 of 6,607
Quote:

i'm looking for a cheap way to drive them,sorry if it's off topic..

I'm testing the HD800 in a lineup with the Diyeden SVDAC06 DAC and Shanling PH100 amp and I'm getting great sound. No sibilance and treble distortion. (In this rig, I'm also using the Shanling PCD300A CD player as source.)

My usual listen, though, is computer as source, USB to HR desktop Ultra.

I just checked eBay and found that the Diyeden is now being sold as the Musiland DAC SVDAC06 for around $120. The PH100, for around $218.

I'd like to hear what others are hearing with these and similar inexpensive equipment.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #1,555 of 6,607
Headroom (headphone.com) and ttvj.com have a 30 money back guarantee. I suggest you buy from them then you can hear for yourself!
smile.gif

Quote:

happy_face1.gif

it's just that 1400$ is a TON of money for me,and i am kind of affraid to buy them and regret it...
but i hope to audition them sometime,i am sure i'll like them,i have a gut feeling about it.

btw,did anyone try them with a receiver or a T-amp?i'm looking for a cheap way to drive them,sorry if it's off topic..

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #1,556 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm testing the HD800 in a lineup with the Diyeden SVDAC06 DAC and Shanling PH100 amp and I'm getting great sound. No sibilance and treble distortion. (In this rig, I'm also using the Shanling PCD300A CD player as source.)

My usual listen, though, is computer as source, USB to HR desktop Ultra.

I just checked eBay and found that the Diyeden is now being sold as the Musiland DAC SVDAC06 for around $120. The PH100, for around $218.

I'd like to hear what others are hearing with these and similar inexpensive equipment.

Gilmore Lite did a very good job of driving the HD800.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #1,557 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed today when lifting the HD800 that i put my finger on the silver plastic part which is soft, it bounced down like a bubble and then bounced back up.......should I be concerned about this?

I’m not sure which part you mean David, you are perfectly same to handle the phone all over, as the drivers are protected.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #1,558 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m not sure which part you mean David, you are perfectly same to handle the phone all over, as the drivers are protected.

It's the greyish dust cover on the outside of the cans that angles out and down towards the back of the ear pads. I don't think there is a problem if it is inadvertently poked.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #1,559 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gilmore Lite did a very good job of driving the HD800.

OK, the Gilmore Lite for around $400. So based on the limited reports thus far, the HD800 doesn't need a wallet-breaking amp to sound good.

Are there other amps in this $400 range that match up well with the HD800?

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,560 of 6,607
Quote:

happy_face1.gif

You cannot use a standard 1/4" phone plug with T-amps, as both positive and negative outputs are driven, and attempting to drive a headphone with a common ground, such as comes standard with the HD800 will destroy the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back