Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #1,471 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it was Kurosawa who did a movie showing the same events through different sets of eyes, demonstrating just how different things looked, from the different perspectives. Then The Simpsons picked it up.

<<<OT thread diversion>>>

Kurosawa's 1950 film was "Rashomon". Highly recommended.

<<<Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.>>>

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #1,473 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had a chance to compare lossy to lossless using the HD800? If so, is it any more/less revealing of differences of encoding, if any, than other phones?

I haven't try on my HD-800, however I did on my HD-650s.

imo Lossless is the only way to go. Lossless is a very rich, full and deep sound

There has been a ongoing debate about lossy and lossless over on AVS.

However most of the folks debating this issue use a speaker system.

ss

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,474 of 6,607
Given how revealing the HD800 are in the treble, I cannot imagine using lossy-coded music with them.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #1,476 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why someone would use anything other than lossless with a home rig, especially if paired with a $1400 headphone, is beyond me.

On this point, we can definitely agree 100%
atsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #1,477 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, for all you HD800 owners, here is a test track for you - "Burn Down This Town", by Roseanne Cash, from Black Cadillac. The HD800 are over-emphasizing the sibilants on this recording, on my 70 hour pair and in my current test system (SP Extreme/Denon CDR-W1500).

I'd like others who have the time and inclination, and who have the HD800 *and* another very high quality pair of headphones or speakers, and who happen to own this excellent CD, to give it a listen and comment, if possible.

BTW, it isn't just vocal sibilants that are at issue. Cymbals are also hotter than is natural, IMO - it's a question/issue regarding the treble in general.

And again, so no one gets ruffled feathers - this is all in the context of a $1,400 headphone, which I believe deserves microscopic scrutiny given the asking price. I'm already willing to state that the midrange and soundstaging are the best I have ever heard in a dynamic headphone. I'm reserving judgment on the bass for now, because this is going to be just the classic quantity vs quality issue, and this it seems will require a SS amp to sort out. But the treble performance is still a question mark for me given this is an expensive, "statement" headphone.

the 800'S are far from sibilant...I haven't heard sibilance on any recording with the 800's....you want to hear REAL sibilance try the GS1K

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #1,478 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 800'S are far from sibilant...I haven't heard sibilance on any recording with the 800's....you want to hear REAL sibilance try the GS1K

Well while I don't agree with your first point, I did own, and pretty quickly sold GS1000's. Not my cup of tea. So there we agree.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #1,479 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it time, people will start to dial in the flaws along with the goodness in the HD800 and we will have a clearer picture.

Yes, I made reference to this a while back. I recall early reviews of the HD650 indicated that it smoothed out a midbass hump inherent in the HD600. A year or two later, the HD800 had more bass than the 600. What sometimes occurs is that one is so impressed by the strong points that they overlook the weak ones, which become apparent later on. It is also possible that the strong points get stronger and the weak ones are never intrusive.

Quote:

Obviously the HD800 doesn't create sibilance if its not in the recording. No headphone I've heard does. But it's good for people that are sensitive that to know that it is an issue with the HD800s.

Not create but can emphasize normal sibilants.

BTW, I have the Rosanne Cash CD and I don't hear a sibilance problem on that particular track. I have an original Latent LP pressing of The Trinity Sessions and I will check that out again.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #1,480 of 6,607
Quote:

why someone would use anything other than lossless with a home rig, especially if paired with a $1400 headphone, is beyond me.

As it is with me, though I strongly suspect that we have read many such impressions thus far.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #1,481 of 6,607
Quote:

well...maybe it's all because it's a $1400 headphone...makes you unable to buy SACD cd / good rig?
atsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #1,483 of 6,607
One other major consideration when comparing lossy to lossless is in the downmix of a 5.1/7.1 channel track. At least for most of are headphone amps.

And if you are using lossless 5.1/7.1 track that is well downmixed, the HD-800 really excel. There is very little if any problem with the tones from high to low.

Also one thing I have found when breaking in the HD-800, is at least some of the time to use a well mixed track with a large sound stage. There by insuring the sound stage of the HD-800.

ss

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #1,485 of 6,607
sorry gurus,
could i please ask a question about your experiences on the soundstage of HD800? After reading lots of reviews about it I expected to hear huge soundstage which is filling the room, with the help of tilted drivers. But I still hear music coming from my head like normal IE phones (but of course wider). I'm very new to high end gears, this is my second investment after Shure E500. I am using my laptop->iBasso D2 Boa DAC/amp combo. would better DAC and headphone amp enlarge the soundstage? will it bring the music to the "room"?

best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back