Sennheiser HD700 Review
Dec 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #213 of 233
Yes, the Tari mod has very good application to the HD700.

Here is a frequency response graph, original right and left channels in red/green, with Tari mod applied in blue:

Pretty much flat until 4K point when it begins a gentle downward slope. This mod is not for the faint of heart or those who easily suffer acid reflux though.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #215 of 233
  I first had the HD700 and then I upgrade to the HD800. I don't think HD700 is a bad headphone but it can't stand out in the $1000 price range or even in it's $600 price range today. The HD800 is a master piece which transfer from the HD650 sound to a modern Sennheiser sound while improve the tech standards in all aspects. I think when Sennheiser design the HD700 for two purpose: first it needs to have a modern sound, second it needs to fill in the tech gap between HD800 and HD650. 
IMO Sennheiser succeed in the first one but failed in the second one. The HD700 has a more powerful modern sound and it beats the HD650 in some aspects but not everyone. Compared with the HD650 it becomes even less clear and transparent. With other headphone makers improving, the HD700 actually degenerates in such an important aspect makes it a less successful product. 

Ok, this is an alternative view, so don't take it personally.

The HD700 is a cracking phone. I'm stating my view, as I want more people trying this phone, and making their own judgements. It's important to counter the negativity surrounding it, as my ears hear almost a polar opposite from what you've said.

To my ears, it's dynamic, lively, powerful, natural, big soundstage.

If anyone like me finds the 650 boring, dull, muffled (regardless of amplification, and trust me, I've had some high end setups) should try this phone.

I get completely immersed. can't take the things off:wink: 

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #216 of 233
My experience was similar to Migasson's. I have owned 650s, 700s and 800s. For my taste and music choices the 700s were the best. I think the 800s are a better choice for music professionals focused on recording imperfections and mixing. For pure joy of listening I found the 700s better suited to task. The 650s were and still are a great set of phones, easy to listen to and comfortable but they were just a little bit less in every area than the 700s. My advice is to form your own opinion.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #217 of 233
Hey guys! I have some really annoying HISS sound coming out of my HD700s, when I play any sound (96+kbps/FLAC/ALAC) on them through my ASUS Xonar U7 or STX II.
Is it my headphones or just the audio hardware. When there's no sound they are dead silent, so it's not static from my PC.
P.S. the hiss scaless with the output gain

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #219 of 233
Purrin:  I'm very late to the game. I appreciate all of your time and effort in writing the review and responding to a number of biased based comments. Both the objective and subjective worshipers seem way off point. I think you presented a very informative and balanced review.

I am using an HD598. System is Aune T1 Mk2 DAC section only and Bravo Ocean tube amp. Last night I received a pair of HD700s. So far, with minimal listening time and burn-in I'm certainly (and not surprisingly) impressed with the improvement over the 598's. I can't afford something like the HD800 and the current $525 price for the HD700 has given me the potential opportunity to move into a new level of enjoyment.

I know I can improve on the Brave amp, but for now it seems to be doing pretty well. Just a short introduction. I'm a recovering audiophile from the 80's and 90s. Had an analogue, tube electronics, electrostatic speakers system that cost in excess of $80,000. But that was back in the day!!! Now I enjoy the convenience of flac streaming from Tidal HD and being able to truly enjoy music through headphones.

Again, thank you for all your efforts. I may disagree with your conclusions and end up keeping the 700's, but you have been very helpful to me in my search.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #220 of 233
  Purrin:  I'm very late to the game. I appreciate all of your time and effort in writing the review and responding to a number of biased based comments. Both the objective and subjective worshipers seem way off point. I think you presented a very informative and balanced review.

I am using an HD598. System is Aune T1 Mk2 DAC section only and Bravo Ocean tube amp. Last night I received a pair of HD700s. So far, with minimal listening time and burn-in I'm certainly (and not surprisingly) impressed with the improvement over the 598's. I can't afford something like the HD800 and the current $525 price for the HD700 has given me the potential opportunity to move into a new level of enjoyment.

I know I can improve on the Brave amp, but for now it seems to be doing pretty well. Just a short introduction. I'm a recovering audiophile from the 80's and 90s. Had an analogue, tube electronics, electrostatic speakers system that cost in excess of $80,000. But that was back in the day!!! Now I enjoy the convenience of flac streaming from Tidal HD and being able to truly enjoy music through headphones.

Again, thank you for all your efforts. I may disagree with your conclusions and end up keeping the 700's, but you have been very helpful to me in my search.

Have you compared these with the AKG q701s before or another AKG or Grados? Also do these sound very warm at all like veiled in any way? Thanks

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #221 of 233
  Have you compared these with the AKG q701s before or another AKG or Grados? Also do these sound very warm at all like veiled in any way? Thanks

The only cans I have compared the HD700 with is the HD598. I'm pretty new getting back into high end earphones and unfortunately just don't have a feel for the models you mention. Right now I'm running the HD700s from a Little Dot MK III (stock tubes) fed by the DAC section of my Aune T1 Mk II with a Gold Lion tube.I really feel with that combination the HD700s sound pretty neutral. Loads of detail and well defined sound stage. I don't hear any unpleasant spike, but I'm 70 years old so my ears are exactly reference grade anymore)))

The strong interest I see on this site in achieving the holy grail of sonic nirvana reminds me of my old audiophile days, and I was as obsessed as any person I have seen here))) At this point I just want a system that allows me to enjoy music without constantly obsessing on what could come next in new gear!!! I can listen for hours of enjoyment with my current setup. The music is both "present" but also "relaxed" - terms I draw from the recesses of my mind from long ago))) If I become dissatisfied with my listening experience my initial gut reflex reaction (as a recovering audiophile) is to ask what is wrong with my system. But I pretty quickly realize that my irritation is not coming from my system but from the crappy recording I happen to be listening to at the moment.

I really love this site. Just hope I don't relapse into my old ways )))

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #222 of 233
The HD-650 compared to the HD-700 do sound distorted and is audible when comparing the two side by side. I am not saying the HD-700 is better but I did notice what Purrin described in his review. He is very accurate with his review and spot on. The HD-700 however don't sound bad. I do enjoy them but like he said as well, some songs will emphasize the treble and will become fatiguing. I am looking for a replacement that is more enjoyable for long periods of time. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #223 of 233
Excellent thread! Thanks for some great insights. I'm wondering what this thread would have looked like now that the HD700s can be had for less then $500? For the $425 I paid I'm pretty pleased.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #224 of 233
  Excellent thread! Thanks for some great insights. I'm wondering what this thread would have looked like now that the HD700s can be had for less then $500? For the $425 I paid I'm pretty pleased.

They can now be had for around $360-$380 open box. 

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #225 of 233
Just bought a barely used one for $350 on Ebay.  Thought it was a good deal.  Should be in tomorrow.  Looking forward to hearing these.  Sounds like they are a faster, more detailed, with better treble 650.  Which is what I'm looking for.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back