Sennheiser HD700 Review
Jan 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #181 of 233
Measurements can only interpreted in the context they were taken. Its meaningless comparing different test results unless the test environment is identical. You also have to work in the confines of your test equipment which can be tricky and in some cases even repeating test results can be tough. I for one am really happy and appreciative that there are folks out there that put so much effort into giving us these measurements.

When I first put on the HD700s the peakiness was the first thing I noticed and the mids sounded really odd. Granted I was used listening to the HE-500. I guess one can used to the sound signature, but I would definitely want to EQ that peak lower and listen at lower volume to protect my hearing. I cancelled my subscription on a local audio magazine after they awarded the HD-700 nearly full marks. I was quite aghast with their conclusion and that they didn't notice any of its flaws and thought it terrific value at Sennheiser's original asking price. I thought it a good headphone when it comes to sound staging, imaging, comfort and the bass.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #183 of 233

I think so, too.  Based on my experience with three different HD700s.   

Yup it happens. It turned out a lot of stupid arguments in the past regarding other headphones such as the K550, DT1850, T1, etc. were because people were listening to specific headphones which were later found to actually measure differently.

I'd like to get my hands on another pair; but as I've said, I have strong suspicions Senn is going to kill it considering how heavily it's being discounted in light of Senn cracking down on retailers selling the HD600, HD650, and HD800 for even $5 below MSRP.

At $600 (and perhaps a new tuning), the HD700 may well be worth it. At $1000 and what I heard - I think I was being rather lenient (LFF was far more damning -  I had to make some edits to pull him back) in our assessment of the HD700 in the first post. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #184 of 233
Purrin this variation you found among different examples of the same phone was one of your most enlightening findings 2-3 years ago.

Not surprising many "stupid arguments" arise as you say - when people aren't even hearing the same thing (not to mention all the other differences in gear, brain etc).

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #186 of 233
In short, Alpha Dogs really ratcheted up the detail and clarity of the T50RP driver, to a level where I didn't think possible. The slight downside was a bit of hardness or glare in the treble (not too unlike the HD800). So in terms of overall tone, the Alpha's went in the opposite direction of the Mad Dogs (which were slightly too laid back for me.) I think if Dan tuned the Alpha's overall tonal response to be somewhere between the current Alpha and the Mad Dogs, that would be perfect. You can always resort to EQ.

Ultrabike took measurements of the Alpha Dogs and posted them somewhere else on the Interwebs. I can post them here if you want.

Looking forward to the HE-560.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #187 of 233
  In short, Alpha Dogs really ratcheted up the detail and clarity of the T50RP driver, to a level where I didn't think possible. The slight downside was a bit of hardness or glare in the treble (not too unlike the HD800). So in terms of overall tone, the Alpha's went in the opposite direction of the Mad Dogs (which were slightly too laid back for me.) I think if Dan tuned the Alpha's overall tonal response to be somewhere between the current Alpha and the Mad Dogs, that would be perfect. You can always resort to EQ.

Ultrabike took measurements of the Alpha Dogs and posted them somewhere else on the Interwebs. I can post them here if you want.

Looking forward to the HE-560.

I agree with that. 

I also found this but I don't know how accurate is it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #188 of 233
Alpha Dog FR

Above from ultrabike. He uses a measurement rig very similar to mine. The Alpha Dogs have funky pads, so it's difficult to get a consistent measurement between L+R. Also the T50RP drivers tend not to be matched well. The dip seems to be a measurement artifact.

Mad Dog measurement for comparison purposes:

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #191 of 233
I first had the HD700 and then I upgrade to the HD800. I don't think HD700 is a bad headphone but it can't stand out in the $1000 price range or even in it's $600 price range today. The HD800 is a master piece which transfer from the HD650 sound to a modern Sennheiser sound while improve the tech standards in all aspects. I think when Sennheiser design the HD700 for two purpose: first it needs to have a modern sound, second it needs to fill in the tech gap between HD800 and HD650. 
IMO Sennheiser succeed in the first one but failed in the second one. The HD700 has a more powerful modern sound and it beats the HD650 in some aspects but not everyone. Compared with the HD650 it becomes even less clear and transparent. With other headphone makers improving, the HD700 actually degenerates in such an important aspect makes it a less successful product. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #193 of 233
  I first had the HD700 and then I upgrade to the HD800. I don't think HD700 is a bad headphone but it can't stand out in the $1000 price range or even in it's $600 price range today. The HD800 is a master piece which transfer from the HD650 sound to a modern Sennheiser sound while improve the tech standards in all aspects. I think when Sennheiser design the HD700 for two purpose: first it needs to have a modern sound, second it needs to fill in the tech gap between HD800 and HD650. 
IMO Sennheiser succeed in the first one but failed in the second one. The HD700 has a more powerful modern sound and it beats the HD650 in some aspects but not everyone. Compared with the HD650 it becomes even less clear and transparent. With other headphone makers improving, the HD700 actually degenerates in such an important aspect makes it a less successful product. 

I beg to differ, the HD700's only problem is its harsh treble/sibilance that could be tamed with a proper amp (Tube), otherwise, HD700 is not much worse than HD800, and I have heard both before I bought the HD700, for the price asked I'm really happy, though I've got a somewhat better (by a lot) headphone (LCD-3) so HD700 doesn't get much happy time anymore after that, but switching back and forth so far shows that even though it's worse, it stands its own. It's about sound tailoring, as soon as I have my Lyr (Tomorrow perhaps) I'm thinking HD700 would get much more head/happy time so I don't have to reach to the back too much.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #194 of 233
I previously had HD600 and I wanted to upgrade. Saw that people either love or hate HD700, but still  bought them for 800$. And Im really happy with them. They are an upgrade for me from HD600 (soundstage, clarity, instrument separation etc.). Was thinking about HD800 too, but that costs 500$-600$ more than HD700, which is a lot. I think that they don't have to be as good as HD800s because of the 40% cheaper price (nobody would buy HD800s then), but they fill the gap between HD600s and HD800s. Even from Fiio E10 they don't seem that harsh to me (I listen music about 4-5h a day). Im upgrading my dac/amp to  BH Crack + Aune T1. I think tubes will be a great match with HD700. But yeah, people love them or hate them. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #195 of 233
  I previously had HD600 and I wanted to upgrade. Saw that people either love or hate HD700, but still  bought them for 800$. And Im really happy with them. They are an upgrade for me from HD600 (soundstage, clarity, instrument separation etc.). Was thinking about HD800 too, but that costs 500$-600$ more than HD700, which is a lot. I think that they don't have to be as good as HD800s because of the 40% cheaper price (nobody would buy HD800s then), but they fill the gap between HD600s and HD800s. Even from Fiio E10 they don't seem that harsh to me (I listen music about 4-5h a day). Im upgrading my dac/amp to  BH Crack + Aune T1. I think tubes will be a great match with HD700. But yeah, people love them or hate them. 

It's great to find the sound you love! Perhaps HD700 suffers a lot from the comments made by people who don't really own them. But for actually owners they are a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back