Sennheiser HD700 Review
Mar 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #196 of 233
^ I think it is necessarily true that if one of us buys something and keeps it for some time then it is a good choice :wink:

I once used the "number of owners" versus number who "used to own" a given piece of equipment as a measure of overall satisfaction. But that's just a consensus measure. If you find something that works for you it honestly doesn't matter how most of us found it.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #197 of 233
Anyone who has doubts about this headphone, keep in mind, high end speakers/headphones needs high end amps/dacs

Let me just tell you that Schiit Lyr and HD700 are a good pairing :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #200 of 233

In your opinion, what makes the HD700 high end, and how does the HD700 benefit from a high end amp/dac?

What makes it not high-end?

a tube amp is always good with sennheiser.

nuff` said

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #201 of 233

What makes it not high-end?

a tube amp is always good with sennheiser.

nuff` said

The uneven treble and emphasis, the relatively high distortion in the bass region and roll off, and the somewhat sunken upper mids of the HD700 are not necessarily all characteristics of a high-end headphone IMO.

Also, not all tube amps are always good with Sennheiser headphones, and not all tube amps are high-end.

You haven't answered my question, nor have to, but here it is again:

To you, what makes the HD700 headphone high end? To you, what makes it so special?

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #202 of 233
  One pair of tubes alone in the OP's amp costs over $2500.  I'm glad you managed to enjoy these headphones with the Lyr.

Oh yeah. Good memory. The 1930s globe Osram PX25s. Worked well on the modified BA with the HD800s. Huge regret I have for selling that amp, but I'm happy it went to a good home, and that I'll be getting the "God amp" to replace it.

Not so good with the HD700. A high-end amp and high-end DAC deserve a high-end headphone like the HD800, LCD3, Abyss, etc. or even something funky like the TH900 or AD2000.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #204 of 233
I heard the 700 at the NY audio show today in the Woo Audio room through a WA6-SE. I admit I was impressed, preferred it to the 800 (listened to it right after) and wondered why I hadn't read much about it. I almost ordered a pair on my phone on my way home. The generally negative reviews are somewhat surprising. Maybe the amp is crazy good, maybe I didn't listen long enough, maybe the 700 is actually pretty good, or maybe my ears are broken. Hope it's not the latter. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #205 of 233
Maybe the 700 actually suits you, doesn't have to be that the 700 is good or your ears broken.

Might be wise to get more listening time before committing though, considering those reviews!

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #206 of 233
  I heard the 700 at the NY audio show today in the Woo Audio room through a WA6-SE. I admit I was impressed, preferred it to the 800 (listened to it right after) and wondered why I hadn't read much about it. I almost ordered a pair on my phone on my way home. The generally negative reviews are somewhat surprising. Maybe the amp is crazy good, maybe I didn't listen long enough, maybe the 700 is actually pretty good, or maybe my ears are broken. Hope it's not the latter. 

Add a bag of salt to online audio reviews and trust your own ears. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #207 of 233
I've heard from others that Senn could have tweaked or made a silent change to the HD700. Not outside the realm of possibility since the original review was over two years ago and Senn has tweaked other models such as the HD650.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #208 of 233
The HD700's are underrated in my opinion. They sound pretty decent and not as hard to drive like others. 

Reviews are like indicators, but i still demo the headphones. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #210 of 233
Have had the HD700s about 2 months.  I have really enjoyed the comfort ( as compared to the LCD3f) and find them easier to enjoy than the HD800s. My system is listed below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back