Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #32,101 of 46,499

I've now had much more time to get to know this software. I'm buying it!

The bottom end now hits quite a bit harder and still doesn't impinge on the mids. I think the top end is just that wee bit cleaner, emphasized just a bit over stock. It's pretty much the same at the top as I'd managed myself with JRMC's built-in EQ but the bottom end is better than I managed. I'm actually not too sure why that is but it's a done deal for me. Cheers for the heads-up @DougD

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

One more thing though - I have it on pretty good authority that G1217 analogue filters may appear before the year's out. In the same open frame chassis as their amps too. Drool..

The filter for the hd650?  I'm thinking of buying a Polaris this year, so that would be great news.  

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #32,102 of 46,499
Weird...yeah, HE-500 and HD650 are my two main headphones.

Quick question for anyone using HD650 with the Garage 1217 Project Polaris - what settings do you use? Gain and output impedance are the ones I'm wondering about most.

I use the Garage 1217 Project Sunrise with several different set of cans, and (so far) just leave leave it on low gain and medium output impedance. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #32,103 of 46,499
I set my Polaris and Ember on low output impedance amd I think it's on low gain. I adjusted the gain so that the vol pot was in a nice position, but the output z will affect the sound. Higher output z and it is a fraction bassier, which some don't like.

I have it on its highest bandwidth setting to the top isn't rolled away at all.

The filters may become avaiable via Jeremy depending on how much time he has. He's been working on a power supply for them, but perhaps if he doesn't do them, Solderdude may have a solution on DIYAH since he designs and makes them.

He is looking to get the filters out because they are just SO good.

If you have seen a 'Kameleon', that is in effect, a Polaris with a filter built in. It is superb and makes the hd6(0 go into another level of clarity.

The Kameleon is well worth having with the Senn.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #32,104 of 46,499

Audioengine D1. Takes a USB input from a computer source. Has a touch of warmth imo. Cheap too, and can do hi-rez.

I have a D1, and would not recommend it with the HD650 for what the original poster was asking about (i.e. a DAC/amp that is transportable, not necessarily for portable listening.)

While it certainly will work--and be an improvement over plugging directly into a laptop--I don't think USB powered headphone amps have the power to drive the HD650's well. Better off with a wall-powered DAC/amp, of which there are many in that price range.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #32,105 of 46,499
I set my Polaris and Ember on low output impedance amd I think it's on low gain. I adjusted the gain so that the vol pot was in a nice position, but the output z will affect the sound. Higher output z and it is a fraction bassier, which some don't like.

I have it on its highest bandwidth setting to the top isn't rolled away at all.

The filters may become avaiable via Jeremy depending on how much time he has. He's been working on a power supply for them, but perhaps if he doesn't do them, Solderdude may have a solution on DIYAH since he designs and makes them.

He is looking to get the filters out because they are just SO good.

If you have seen a 'Kameleon', that is in effect, a Polaris with a filter built in. It is superb and makes the hd6(0 go into another level of clarity.

The Kameleon is well worth having with the Senn.

Would the Kameleon be a good choice for ONLY using with the Senns, or is the built in filter interchangeable?

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #32,106 of 46,499
The ones that Solderdude has made so far, have a sliding door in the top so that you have to grab the chip, pull it out and insert the correct chip for another headphone. I had a collection of them for testing with me here for various headphones and they ALL improved what I heard.

He has even made a 3db bass boost since he knows that I like the bass just a tad raised from neutral.

In fact, regarding the chip, I was having a laugh with him yesterday on Skype when I said to him, 'how about a sliding draw like a cd tray when you switch on'.

He laughed and asked me how much I'd like to pay!!!

I also suggested rising tube on the Ember. :L3000:

Personally, I'd be happier dedicating it to the Senn only, since constant swapping of that chip couod perhaps cause problems. Without it, it's just a Polaris really. Just doesn't look like one!!

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #32,108 of 46,499
  Can anybody comment on whether an upgrade from a Asus Essence ST to a Epiphany Accoustics EHP-02D would be noticeable? I can get a good deal on it used for 90£..

not sure they will sound much different. but then again in here you need to define "upgrade". as a great many people call the coloration and/or distortions they enjoy, an upgrade over something objectively cleaner and more neutral.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #32,110 of 46,499
not sure they will sound much different. but then again in here you need to define "upgrade". as a great many people call the coloration and/or distortions they enjoy, an upgrade over something objectively cleaner and more neutral.

Yeah. I love the neutral sound of a clipping gain stage, myself. Adds real musicality to the sound.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #32,111 of 46,499

I've now had much more time to get to know this software. I'm buying it!

The bottom end now hits quite a bit harder and still doesn't impinge on the mids. I think the top end is just that wee bit cleaner, emphasized just a bit over stock. It's pretty much the same at the top as I'd managed myself with JRMC's built-in EQ but the bottom end is better than I managed. I'm actually not too sure why that is but it's a done deal for me. Cheers for the heads-up @DougD

Now I need to try this out... looks pretty cool.

When I looked at their website, it listed the "bundle" for the HD-650 at $370 US; I thought that was steep for an AU plug-in, until I finally figured out that price was for the HEADPHONES, not the plug-in. Doh! Yes... it's been a long day.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #32,112 of 46,499
Probably nothing wrong with yours, there's just something about the 650's that I really like. I don't claim the 650's are technically "better" but just make the music the most enjoyable. Other than the HE-1000 and Stax 009, I've had almost all the flagships through my system at one time or another. A few years back I actually brought home the HE-500 and the LCD-2.2 on the same day. Ended up keeping the LCD2.2 for my main phone a couple years then had the LCD-3 for a year before going back to the 650 a little over a year ago.

That really says something about the 650 when you prefer them to the Audeze's, considering the price difference. I had that reaction to them too. I mean they sound amazing, but they're sort of cold and calculating. I was recently at an audio shop testing out the LCD2 and LCD3 using a $4500 MacIntosh amp. The sound was amazingly 'clean'. You could even say it was almost 'perfect' sounding, but I just didn't find them engaging. I'm having a similar reaction to the 400i after quite a few hours of listening... maybe I just don't like planars. 

It's kind of funny, I've had the 650s for about 4 years as my primary phone. Then I picked up the 400i a few weeks ago and I loved them at first and had convinced myself that they're better than the 650 but now after going back to the Senns a bit today I remembered what I love about them. They have such a lush and balanced sound. 

I also recently picked up a pair of Grado GH1's as a gift for my brother and I've been having fun with them before giving them away (birthday's not til April). They're amazing cans but after A-B'ing them I can see that they're not perfect. The Grados are very revealing but also pick up more static that the Senns totally blank out. The Grados are amazing with top quality recordings like flac, wav or vinyl, but streaming music from youtube or whatever they pick up too much distortion. Senns can make pretty much anything listenable. I also think the bass is better. The Grados have a light and airy quality that I like for some things but at other times I like the way that the 650 makes the sound seem more interlaced and unified in a way... hopefully that makes sense. The Grados do vocals and guitar spectacularly, but the Senns get a lot right where the Grados lack. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #32,113 of 46,499
The ones that Solderdude has made so far, have a sliding door in the top so that you have to grab the chip, pull it out and insert the correct chip for another headphone. I had a collection of them for testing with me here for various headphones and they ALL improved what I heard.

He has even made a 3db bass boost since he knows that I like the bass just a tad raised from neutral.

In fact, regarding the chip, I was having a laugh with him yesterday on Skype when I said to him, 'how about a sliding draw like a cd tray when you switch on'.

He laughed and asked me how much I'd like to pay!!!

I also suggested rising tube on the Ember. :L3000:

Personally, I'd be happier dedicating it to the Senn only, since constant swapping of that chip couod perhaps cause problems. Without it, it's just a Polaris really. Just doesn't look like one!!

I'll stay tuned for further developments then. May end up with a Polaris before the Kameleon and filters are done though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back