Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #32,071 of 46,534
IL 3rd the recommendation for the Asgard 2. Very nice sounding ss amp. I will say though, in my opinion a mid level to totl vintage receiver sounds better. My totl Sansui from 75 kills it in every way except noise floor. The soundstage is easily twice as wide and deep...

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #32,072 of 46,534
If you want to check out something different that sounds awesome, try Buena Vista Social Club. It's Ry Cooder playing with old Cuban musicians. Very 3 dimensional sounding. 

+1 on this. I return to this album on a very regular basis. Well played, well recorded, and fun. It's a gem IMO, and I don't have any particular affinity or knowledge of Latin music.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #32,073 of 46,534
IL 3rd the recommendation for the Asgard 2. Very nice sounding ss amp. I will say though, in my opinion a mid level to totl vintage receiver sounds better. My totl Sansui from 75 kills it in every way except noise floor. The soundstage is easily twice as wide and deep...

What model SirMarc? I may have to set up an alarm on eBay.... :D

Haven't listened to one of those since my parents old Fischer from '70-72. I remember the horror I felt waiting for my father to get home to this day because of the first time I heard the "pot" screech, thinking I had broken it! :p

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #32,074 of 46,534

Haven't listened to one of those since my parents old Fischer from '70-72. I remember the horror I felt waiting for my father to get home to this day because of the first time I heard the "pot" screech, thinking I had broken it! :p

Lol. It's a Sansui 9090, 110 '70's' wpc. They're going for some pretty hefty bucks the last couple years. It was rated on audio karma as one of, if not the best receivers ever made. I love it with my Dahlquist speakers and my 650's. My only complaint is the phono stage, but I use a Dynaco phono stage anyway. Looks cool as hell too, and has VU meters!

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #32,075 of 46,534

I think I posted a pic already on this thread, but here's my mostly vintage rig.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #32,076 of 46,534
Unfortunately, I can't make out the model though... Old eyes I guess. LOL

EDIT: Never mind. I just saw that you were kind enough to spell it out for me while I was typing!

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #32,078 of 46,534

Been there done that....in the end...this is a great all round headphone.

I second that...as a matter of fact that would be an interesting poll to do. How many people have sold their HD650/HD600 only to buy another pair within the year. I think you would see a LOT of raised hands.

I did & bought another pair within a couple of months.  I'll never sell them again.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #32,079 of 46,534
Anyone using these with an Oppo HA2?

Looking for new full size and its between these (£225), Philips X2 (£200), and Hifiman HE400i (£360). Upgrading from HD595, Amperiors and AKG551.

Wanting something with more punch for (in order) rock, blues, soul, country, hip hop, drum and bass. I sometimes EQ in a gentle V and like a fun sound, but still appreciate a neutral sound.

Will also spend a lot of time for films and a bit of gaming.

Won't be looking to upgrade the Oppo in a hurry though so they need to be drivable well from that.

Anyone with similar tastes and setup, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #32,080 of 46,534

Over in The DIY'r Cookbook thread, JohnJen and atomicbob have a lot of posts discussing their critical listening and tests ... 

The Bifrost Multibit DAC, Project Sunrise III amp with 12BH7 tube, a linear power supply for the amp (approx $140, although you can certainly spend get more to get better), plus the Sonarworks Ref3 std s/w compensation for the HD-650 will collectively run a bit under $1000 USD I think....

Why would he want to use a DAW with a Sonarworks plug in to listen to his music?
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #32,081 of 46,534
Well after a week and a half with the hifiman Edition X ($1800.00) and a nice long, relaxed listening session this evening, it's starting to look like the good old 650 will beat another TOTL phone. I've lost track of all of them. The Edition X comes closer than most and actually has a lot of similarities to the 650 but lacks the magic. Will there ever be anything clearly better?

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #32,082 of 46,534
  Why would he want to use a DAW with a Sonarworks plug in to listen to his music?
blink.gif

The SW Ref3 is a VST plug-in. It will work fine in the likes of JRMC.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #32,084 of 46,534
Well after a week and a half with the hifiman Edition X ($1800.00) and a nice long, relaxed listening session this evening, it's starting to look like the good old 650 will beat another TOTL phone. I've lost track of all of them. The Edition X comes closer than most and actually has a lot of similarities to the 650 but lacks the magic. Will there ever be anything clearly better?

Have you heard the HE-500? To me they're clearly better. They need a good source and amp to open the sound stage though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back