Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #29,146 of 46,553

The sound of the Nighthawks is kind of hard to pin down because it's a quite different approach than other phones.  To simplify, I'd say the NH is very coherent in all respects with nothing sticking out more than the rest tonally or spatially. Where the 650's tend to bring the midrange forward, the NH is very even across the frequencies.  Also, the soundstage for the 650's seems wider, but with more of a left/right/center feeling where the NH is continuous left to right with less spotlighting of certain sounds, less pinpoint.  I'd say the NH has more extension at the frequency extremes but the bass is more impactful on the 650.  All that being said, that certain special magic of the 650's that we all know is still very appealing.

I have to agree with you on that. I have similar impressions of the Nighthawk vs my HD 650 though I do find the Nighthawks a bit wider soundstage wise, though that could simply be differences with my system, but definitely agree about the 3 blob soundstage(left/center/right) of the HD 650 compared to the Nighthawks. With the Nighthawks there is no blobbing of the soundstage like many other headphones as the soundstage is a coherent whole. I personally prefer the Nighthawks as I find them more resolving, refined, and tonally correct, but decided to try the HD 650 more after tinkering with the tubes on my system, was quite a nice experience as it lightly colors the music in a euphoric sense with it's subtle layer of warmth over the whole sound, will spend more time with the HD 650s after spending a month pretty much exclusively with the nighthawks, thought I am currently letting a friend borrow the 650s.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #29,147 of 46,553
@Youth
, I've never heard anyone saying the HD-650 was uncomfortable but then I haven't really looked around.  I'm interested in what type of possible change in sound they would give?  Please post if you do get the Hd60 pads about any sound and comfort changes.

There where complains about HD650 comfort in issues like clamping pressure, but thats then only one saw mostly.
Using he60 pads with HD650 seems a great idea Youth, never thought about it.
I'm curious about it too, especially in terms of sound.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #29,148 of 46,553
Everyone's head and ears are shaped different so no set of phones are going to be perfect for everyone. I Don't wear phones on the job 8 hours a day but do listen in 2-3 hour sessions 2-4 nights a week. I find my HD 650s along with my Momentum V1 OE, and Grado 80i perfectly acceptable for this use. I think some people just look for some thing to whine about.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #29,149 of 46,553
It's really too bad that some are perpetually searching for the "perfect" HP or FOTM. Lost time, imo. Better to just kick back, reach for the favorite HP, and enjoy the music. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #29,152 of 46,553
Everyone's head and ears are shaped different so no set of phones are going to be perfect for everyone. I Don't wear phones on the job 8 hours a day but do listen in 2-3 hour sessions 2-4 nights a week. I find my HD 650s along with my Momentum V1 OE, and Grado 80i perfectly acceptable for this use. I think some people just look for some thing to whine about.

Yeah, HD650 is very confortable, they are light. Though when you cut your hair you can indeed feel some clamping force after xD

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #29,154 of 46,553
  It's really too bad that some are perpetually searching for the "perfect" HP or FOTM. Lost time, imo. Better to just kick back, reach for the favorite HP, and enjoy the music. 

+2

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #29,156 of 46,553
  Daft Punk sounds pretty fantastic on these I've found. Especially the Random Access Memories album. :) Sill loving these headphones after maybe 6 months? i dunno how long it has been. 

I'd never heard this album before but I've managed to source it & you're absolutely right! Outstanding sound and, although I've never heard it before, I can well imagine it sounding a bit edgy with different headphones (looking at you, Q701). I like smoooth, not edgy.

beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #29,158 of 46,553

I'd never heard this album before but I've managed to source it & you're absolutely right! Outstanding sound and, although I've never heard it before, I can well imagine it sounding a bit edgy with different headphones (looking at you, Q701). I like smoooth, not edgy.

beerchug.gif

Random Access Memories is indeed a great album. I think I read somewhere that they put more than $1.000.000 into it.

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #29,160 of 46,553

beerchug.gif

I remember wait a long time for the Daft Punk album to break, thinking that there was no way that the album would live up to the hype...it did. I often use this album to test new headphones and gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back