Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #29,163 of 46,570
It's really too bad that some are perpetually searching for the "perfect" HP or FOTM. Lost time, imo. Better to just kick back, reach for the favorite HP, and enjoy the music. 

I understand what you're saying but I really enjoy trying out and comparing different headphones, it's a lot of fun.

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #29,164 of 46,570
I understand what you're saying but I really enjoy trying out and comparing different headphones, it's a lot of fun.

I have no problem with comparing, long-term. It's those who BUY cans, spend only hrs with them, then resell, always listening for tiny flaws, and claiming to have acquired the latest greatest HP, when in fact they really haven't lived with the cans....

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #29,166 of 46,570
What do you drive the T90 with? I can't seem to like it, the treble is hot and sounds like scraping metal.

They are very resolving and it is important to drive them with good amp and decent high fidelity source. I use Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD player as source and Matrix M-Stage as amp. No scraping metal sounds here. I only hear a fantastically crisp and resolving headphone, the sound I extremely enjoy.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #29,168 of 46,570

I remember wait a long time for the Daft Punk album to break, thinking that there was no way that the album would live up to the hype...it did. I often use this album to test new headphones and gear. 

You know, I became very prejudiced against Daft Punk for two specific reasons. The first was a much-hyped party I went to a few years ago. We got there early and people were just sitting around in the living room & kitchen with nobody really loosened up. That didn't stop the host pumping out Daft Punk at frankly ludicrous levels. I could actually hear the speakers of the mini-system screaming in pain. That was all I heard as conversation was out the window. Awful.

The second was when this album was released. The song 'Get Lucky' was played to death and as I was generally in my work environment it was being played back, again, on a crap system or the tinny radio in my van. That song drove me nuts & so Daft Punk were soured for me once more.

But now that I have the album myself and I'm able to play it back through a decent system I really like it. Even 'Get Lucky' sounds good. There's subtle inflections on the vocals that are just not there on inferior equipment. I'm not a fan yet but I can see it going that way. I am a completist so I guess I'll eventually buy everything they've done. I already have the Tron soundtrack and like that, even 'though I'm not really a fan of soundtracks in general.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #29,169 of 46,570

I remember wait a long time for the Daft Punk album to break, thinking that there was no way that the album would live up to the hype...it did. I often use this album to test new headphones and gear. 

You know, I became very prejudiced against Daft Punk for two specific reasons. The first was a much-hyped party I went to a few years ago. We got there early and people were just sitting around in the living room & kitchen with nobody really loosened up. That didn't stop the host pumping out Daft Punk at frankly ludicrous levels. I could actually hear the speakers of the mini-system screaming in pain. That was all I heard as conversation was out the window. Awful.

The second was when this album was released. The song 'Get Lucky' was played to death and as I was generally in my work environment it was being played back, again, on a crap system or the tinny radio in my van. That song drove me nuts & so Daft Punk were soured for me once more.

But now that I have the album myself and I'm able to play it back through a decent system I really like it. Even 'Get Lucky' sounds good. There's subtle inflections on the vocals that are just not there on inferior equipment. I'm not a fan yet but I can see it going that way. I am a completist so I guess I'll eventually buy everything they've done. I already have the Tron soundtrack and like that, even 'though I'm not really a fan of soundtracks in general.

BTW, have you heard 'The Inevitable End' by Röyksopp? That's an astonishing album. If you like Daft Punk you'll like Röyksopp.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #29,170 of 46,570
They are very resolving and it is important to drive them with good amp and decent high fidelity source. I use Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD player as source and Matrix M-Stage as amp. No scraping metal sounds here. I only hear a fantastically crisp and resolving headphone, the sound I extremely enjoy.

I do have the Lovely Cube Premium, sort of a cousin to the M-Stage if you look at the topography. I still can't listen to them due to their brightness. Tried them out at Jaben through the Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp too, no dice. The HD800 and T1 got driven properly with no piercing highs by it though so I couldn't really blame the amp. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to highs.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #29,171 of 46,570
  I do have the Lovely Cube Premium, sort of a cousin to the M-Stage if you look at the topography. I still can't listen to them due to their brightness. Tried them out at Jaben through the Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp too, no dice. The HD800 and T1 got driven properly with no piercing highs by it though so I couldn't really blame the amp. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to highs.

Can't blame you. T90's treble is insane. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #29,172 of 46,570

What can I say? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I advise you to choose some other headphones then. There are plenty of other headphones out there and you can probably find something to fit your needs 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #29,174 of 46,570
  Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "insane"? T90 has very clear and resolving treble. I am not sure in what way it is "insane" 
confused_face(1).gif

T90's treble is one big peak. Picture says it all. I mean if you enjoy it that's all that matters but I was just letting  him know that it isn't abnormal to find T90 bright and fatuiging. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back