Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #23,401 of 46,499

Well, I don't believe in the tube hype either, but the Draug 2 puts the HD650 into a larger venue for me, and I like that! 

No need to "believe" in tube hype. Just try them and see if you like them better. They are a different circuit design than solid state, so they can have different characteristics. There's no weird hypothesis to believe or not.

I've got a very nice tube setup, but my SS Denon's outclass it from speaker taps to the HD650, Draug 2 cannot be DIY'ed, it's a great design that only Trevor can accomplish!

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #23,402 of 46,499
Ah so they too are shaman blessed or chuck Norris tears baptized. Very unique! Maybe I'll try to come close but that last bit of the recipe is like the KFC. Super secret

I've got a very nice tube setup, but my SS Denon's outclass it from speaker taps to the HD650, Draug 2 cannot be DIY'ed, it's a great design that only Trevor can accomplish!

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #23,403 of 46,499
Ah so they too are shaman blessed or chuck Norris tears baptized. Very unique! Maybe I'll try to come close but that last bit of the recipe is like the KFC. Super secret

Ah yes, I've had that KFC recipe, mmmmm!

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #23,404 of 46,499
It's been said that the Bottlehead Crack and HD650 is some of the best listening you'll ever experience. I listen to mine in all SS amps and still find it very nice.

Cables is a lot of rip and not a lot gain, imo + ymmv. I did get special pricing on my shaman blessed interconnects though.

After owning most mid and flagship hp's, the 650/crack remains one of the very best experiences that I've had. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #23,405 of 46,499
Years ago I re-wired my McIntosh system and Magnat Speakers with Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker wire.

It totally ruined the sound of my system making it too bight and and hollow sounding.
I was told later that KK's are too bright for an already bright speaker.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #23,406 of 46,499
  Years ago I re-wired my McIntosh system and Magnat Speakers with Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker wire.

It totally ruined the sound of my system making it too bight and and hollow sounding.

Jesus... 
popcorn.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #23,407 of 46,499

After owning most mid and flagship hp's, the 650/crack remains one of the very best experiences that I've had. 

I've heard local guys say the same. At that time the HD650 commanded the highest price and prices were stable, which was out of my reach for what I wanted to spend so I paid no mind. Now that they're around $300 well I can't help myself anymore. Now I'm looking at tube options...after I said I was done with tubes
rolleyes.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #23,410 of 46,499
I told myself I'd get these the next time they were on sale. And of course they would go on sale the same week I need a car tune up. Pulled the trigger anyway. I am not a responsible adult.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #23,411 of 46,499
Quote:
My local guys also tell me that crack goes well with a variety of things.

Appreciate this thread, the 650 is probably next on my list of things to acquire.

Crack is seriously good with the HD650 HD800 and Beyer T1 higher impedance cans. It also responds very well to further modifications which allow the phones to also scale. The $250 mentioned for a after market cable would take the Crack to pretty serious levels probably end game for many certainly way beyond what is achievable with any cable.

The difference between stock and modded Crack when compared side to side is a bit of a eye opener and you need to switch to a more resolving phone than the HD650 to get a better understanding of what a hot rodded Crack is capable of delivering.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #23,412 of 46,499
  Quote:

Crack is seriously good with the HD650 HD800 and Beyer T1 higher impedance cans. It also responds very well to further modifications which allow the phones to also scale. The $250 mentioned for a after market cable would take the Crack to pretty serious levels probably end game for many certainly way beyond what is achievable with any cable.

The difference between stock and modded Crack when compared side to side is a bit of a eye opener and you need to switch to a more resolving phone than the HD650 to get a better understanding of what a hot rodded Crack is capable of delivering.

Is there such guide to hot-rod a Crack or is it pretty much a well understanding of how amps work and knowing which parts to swap/modify? I can believe it on the mods making the Crack into a refined amp.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #23,414 of 46,499

Jesus... 
popcorn.gif

I just thought I'd post this for people who don't believe wire matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back