Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #23,416 of 46,535
  Hi guys, saw this headphone on sale. Would you recommend this as a good headphone to get into the 'headphone game'? I will be using my Sony laptop for a source for now, but eventually I'd like to get a Dac/Amp that these 'cans' deserve.

Um...yes. Getting into headphones and not need to get anything else. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #23,417 of 46,535

Um...yes. Getting into headphones and not need to get anything else. 

I'm looking for something that can keep me satisfied for awhile. Preferable one that does well with most genres. I do like rock and it's variations aside from heavy stuff and metal, as well as classical/symphony.

Would this be a recommended headphone to get first or should I get this further when I've become used to top end headphones. Don't really know what I'm asking but that if this is a good first headphone or if something else is recommended. Price range is up to $400 at max.

Edit: Will I be able to enjoy these out of a laptop for a couple of months or will I be disappointed? Looking up at the thread there's a tube amp that looks like it means business for these headphones.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #23,418 of 46,535
I am tempted, but I must be strong and devote all resources towards the mythical Yggdrasil dac, then I can start collecting different, headphones.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #23,419 of 46,535
I think you might be disappointed in the hd650 straight out of a laptop. Although maybe if you're talking a few weeks to a month then you'll get a proper amp (and dac) then I think you might be ok. Just knoq that the hd650 will probably be around 50% of its capabilities straight to a computer sound-wise. If that makes any sense.

Maybe look at something around 32 ohms which is easier to drive rather than 300ohms. Of course my first headphone was the dt880 250ohms and that seemed fined out of my Lenovo at the time lol. I had a lot to learn then.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #23,420 of 46,535
^^
I'm looking for something that can keep me satisfied for awhile. Preferable one that does well with most genres. I do like rock and it's variations aside from heavy stuff and metal, as well as classical/symphony.

Would this be a recommended headphone to get first or should I get this further when I've become used to top end headphones. Don't really know what I'm asking but that if this is a good first headphone or if something else is recommended. Price range is up to $400 at max.

Edit: Will I be able to enjoy these out of a laptop for a couple of months or will I be disappointed? Looking up at the thread there's a tube amp that looks like it means business for these headphones.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #23,421 of 46,535

The only genre that I personally do not feel that the 650 excels with is classical. Still it's pretty darn good. It's just that once you've heard classical on the hd800 everything else will be a let down. The 650 will sounds pretty good from any modest source but it's ability to scale with good amps like the Crack will make the goosebumps stand at attention. 

Other $400 contenders:

*Hifiman he400i (actually $500)

*Sony mdr-z7

*AKG k702 anniversary edition

...among others. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #23,422 of 46,535
I think you might be disappointed in the hd650 straight out of a laptop. Although maybe if you're talking a few weeks to a month then you'll get a proper amp (and dac) then I think you might be ok. Just knoq that the hd650 will probably be around 50% of its capabilities straight to a computer sound-wise. If that makes any sense.

Maybe look at something around 32 ohms which is easier to drive rather than 300ohms. Of course my first headphone was the dt880 250ohms and that seemed fined out of my Lenovo at the time lol. I had a lot to learn then.

Oh thanks, so the lower ohm rating the easier to drive. Good to know! I might be able to just get a dac/amp right away I suppose but I'll probably opt to waiting for more money to come in before going completely crazy and spending around $600-$700 on gear. Lol Would you say the HD650 is a good headphone for a lot of genres?

Bonus talk:
Hey guess what "sounds good to me"?

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #23,423 of 46,535

Oh thanks, so the lower ohm rating the easier to drive. Good to know! I might be able to just get a dac/amp right away I suppose but I'll probably opt to waiting for more money to come in before going completely crazy and spending around $600-$700 on gear. Lol Would you say the HD650 is a good headphone for a lot of genres?

Bonus talk:
Hey guess what "sounds good to me"?

Lower ohm is usually easier to drive, that is until you get to something like AKGs. The AKG K7xx series(62 ohms) is harder to drive than the HD 650 in my experience. The HD 650 sounds great with a wide variety of genres. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #23,425 of 46,535
I like it with classical as well, specially winding down at the end of the day. Its not accurate but its nice. However I do much prefer the he560 over the hd650 in classical of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

@TheBaconSound Too easy, oink?

Yes, I agree. Classical works better on the he560 and then even better on the hd800. You could buy the hd800 if only just for classical. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #23,426 of 46,535

The only genre that I personally do not feel that the 650 excels with is classical. Still it's pretty darn good. It's just that once you've heard classical on the hd800 everything else will be a let down. The 650 will sounds pretty good from any modest source but it's ability to scale with good amps like the Crack will make the goosebumps stand at attention. 

Other $400 contenders:

*Hifiman he400i (actually $500)

*Sony mdr-z7

*AKG k702 anniversary edition

...among others. 

Great recommendations! I'm not big into Sony, I've had their extra bass before and it was like beats by Dre. The AKG and Hifimans are definitely on my radar. I saw a few Q701 which seems to be a colorful version of the K701 at a good price. The K702 is just another color scheme or? I don't mind buying used btw, seems a lot of people here sell at really good conditions in the classifieds. I'd love to have something like the HD800 but that's way outside of my budget and probably something I'll just stare at and read about. Lol

Lower ohm is usually easier to drive, that is until you get to something like AKGs. The AKG K7xx series(62 ohms) is harder to drive than the HD 650 in my experience. The HD 650 sounds great with a wide variety of genres. 

I don't understand. Why would 62ohms be harder to drive...?

I like it with classical as well, specially winding down at the end of the day. Its not accurate but its nice. However I do much prefer the he560 over the hd650 in classical of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

@TheBaconSound Too easy, oink?

Hahaha close. Just bacon.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #23,427 of 46,535
If I end up building a BT Crack for the hd650 then I'd have the AMP to power it too. God I hate this hobby. I could sell the he560 and almost be there price wise I suppose. Although this new flagship should be interesting (which btw is probably why the prices are going down across the board on the HDxxx).

Yes, I agree. Classical works better on the he560 and then even better on the hd800. You could buy the hd800 if only just for classical. 

Run bacon run!

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #23,429 of 46,535
If I end up building a BT Crack for the hd650 then I'd have the AMP to power it too. God I hate this hobby. I could sell the he560 and almost be there price wise I suppose. Although this new flagship should be interesting (which btw is probably why the prices are going down across the board on the HDxxx).
Run bacon run!

haha!! True, but honestly if I only listened to classical I'd own the hd800 and nothing else. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #23,430 of 46,535
  With all due respect to Jamie...even the stock crack, no speedball, is damned good. 

Oh yes totally agree with you there and really just posting a observation in comparison to fancy aftermarket cables where the results are somewhat pot luck to going down the modding route where different components are know to reliably achieve certain results.

Is there such guide to hot-rod a Crack or is it pretty much a well understanding of how amps work and knowing which parts to swap/modify? I can believe it on the mods making the Crack into a refined amp.

On the Bottlehead forum there must be dozens of examples it is a mine of information to what is generally referred to there as the Crack upgrade path.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back