Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #19,486 of 46,499
Recently ordered an LD MK IV SE tube amp and can hardly wait to try with my HD650s. Anyone else using this amp / headphone combination? I too, am searching for the WOW! factor in overall sound. I'm using ZY Hifi cables with my HD650s, and really improves sound stage, clarity, etc.

Congrats! for your MK IV SE,I have the MK III it's not bad for the HD 650 however if you are looking for the WOW Factor you should get the Bottlehead CRACK instead of MK IV SE. 
I don't know what is the big difference between MK III and MK IV besides their Price Gap and a little better components,IMO there is no comparison between the CRACK and MK III,The MK III with the 650 it sound thin but 650 with the CRACK sound full and thick for me the CRACK is my wow factor.If you do checkout the LD Tube Rolling Thread i can tell you this I'am sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #19,487 of 46,499
   Congrats! for your MK IV SE,I have the MK III it's not bad for the HD 650 however if you are looking for the WOW Factor you should get the Bottlehead CRACK instead of MK IV SE. 
I don't know what is the big difference between MK III and MK IV besides their Price Gap and a little better components,IMO there is no comparison between the CRACK and MK III,The MK III with the 650 it sound thin but 650 with the CRACK sound full and thick for me the CRACK is my wow factor.If you do checkout the LD Tube Rolling Thread i can tell you this I'am sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Wow,  that's really so nice to say. Hopefully it will also work for you when you enthusiastically enter a thread with your bottlehead crack and someone tells you the crack sounds thin and you need a mackintosh amp for the wow factor. And then adds a smiley ofcourse
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #19,488 of 46,499

biggrin.gif

Wow,  that's really so nice to say. Hopefully it will also work for you when you enthusiastically enter a thread with your bottlehead crack and someone tells you the crack sounds thin and you need a mackintosh amp for the wow factor. And then adds a smiley ofcourse
beerchug.gif

I did not say the MK IV is thin MK IV is his amp i'am refering to my amp MK III as i said i don't know much of a difference between the two amps.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #19,490 of 46,499
  I have owned my 650s for 3 years now . I have listened to more headphones than I can remember and have yet to find one that has made me want to sell mine and buy them.

Sheesh, I loved my 650's when I had em (about 2 years), but I am glad I had the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things.  The LCD-X is just so much more engaging and "fun" sounding, aside from being better in basically every aspect (at a price of course... $$$$).  I am glad I was able to sell my 650s to a friend though.  I know someone's enjoying the heck out of them and taking good care of them.  Really an amazing headphone at its price point.  Highly recommended for anyone who likes a deep, emotional sound.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #19,492 of 46,499
I occasionally drive my 650's with my E18 and whilst it's not as happy as it is with my O2 it's still pretty good overall. Your E12 is even more powerful than my E18 so I don't think lack of power is the problem.

I think it's fair to say that, compared to most headphones you may be coming from, the HD650's sound signature takes a bit of getting used to. Also, more than any other piece of audio equipment I've used, they really do improve with the hours. You may find you'll find the sweet spot before you have to spend any more money.

My Mum and I wanted to be the first on HeadFi to wish you the happiest Independence day, I am sure you "thought carefully" about your vote :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Kidding aside, may the day be great for Scotland!

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #19,493 of 46,499
I don't know what is the big difference between MK III and MK IV besides their Price Gap and a little better components,IMO there is no comparison between the CRACK and MK III,The MK III with the 650 it sound thin but 650 with the CRACK sound full and thick for me the CRACK is my wow factor.If you do checkout the LD Tube Rolling Thread i can tell you this I'am sorry for your wallet.:D

Thanks.. and for tip.. will put Bottlehead CRACK on wish list. MK IV SE components are premium, including capacitors, transformer. MK IV SE tubes
are M8100 and EH 6H30PI gold pin tubes, which I may have rolled to if I'd chosen MKIII. My nirvana sound objective is a detailed, deep 3D near
holographic soundstage. Is this achievable? I certainly hope so!

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #19,494 of 46,499
one step at a time...get some hours into the amp n tubes..
and come back with your impressions...
and then work on getting u into holosphere :p

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #19,496 of 46,499
Recently ordered an LD MK IV SE tube amp and can hardly wait to try with my HD650s. Anyone else using this amp / headphone combination? I too, am searching for the WOW! factor in overall sound. I'm using ZY Hifi cables with my HD650s, and really improves sound stage, clarity, etc.

I have the LDMKIII and can say that they're great with the HD650's.Yours should be a bit better i guess.Do check out the Little Dot tube rolling thread before you buy any tubes and start from the last page instead from page one, because some great tubes (some with adapters) have been discovered recently for the Little Dot tube amps.

Yeah, I'm interested in tube rolling but M8100 & EH 6H30PI standard tubes of MKIV SE are pretty good already, but have to agree with LORSPEAKER's advice of progressing incrementally toward my audio nirvana goal.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #19,497 of 46,499
Can't blame me for enthusiasm, I guess... but yeah, your right!

biggrin.gif

Thanks.. and for tip.. will put Bottlehead CRACK on wish list. MK IV SE components are premium, including capacitors, transformer. MK IV SE tubes
are M8100 and EH 6H30PI gold pin tubes, which I may have rolled to if I'd chosen MKIII. My nirvana sound objective is a detailed, deep 3D near
holographic soundstage. Is this achievable? I certainly hope so!

If you decide to roll some tubes start with the Yugoslavia 6HM5,This is one of my Favourite plug and play driver tubes it sound nice with 650.I do not intend to offend you or anyone regarding my above post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back