Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #19,502 of 46,533
Other threads touted Phillips JAN 5687 driver tubes as an improvement over the M8100... Do you have knowledge or opinion on this?

Sorry! i can't comment on that I don't have both of those tubes but i can tell you what tubes i usually used for my MK III and 650.One RCA 6SN7 GTB driver tube and two RCA 6SN7 GTB for power tubes this combo have a wider soundstage and over all have a better bass and treble than any Plug and play tubes i've tried.You should checkout the LD tube Rolling Guide but this might put a dent on your wallet.

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #19,503 of 46,533
YEOW--
eek.gif
Phillips JAN 5687WB are power tubes, not driver tubes. Guess I'll read up more on tube rolling threads. Still interested, tho, if there's any familiarity with the JAN 5687WB

IMO you don't gain that much on rolling power tubes.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #19,507 of 46,533
 Sorry! i can't comment on that I don't have both of those tubes but i can tell you what tubes i usually used for my MK III and 650.One RCA 6SN7 GTB driver tube and two RCA 6SN7 GTB for power tubes this combo have a wider soundstage and over all have a better bass and treble than any Plug and play tubes i've tried.You should checkout the LD tube Rolling Guide but this might put a dent on your wallet.

So many tubes.. So little time LOL Seriously, thanks for your tip on this combo, especially since my goal is wider soundstage and decent
tonal range. Guess it's a quest for envisioned goal of 3D holographic audio

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #19,509 of 46,533
Recently ordered an LD MK IV SE tube amp and can hardly wait to try with my HD650s. Anyone else using this amp / headphone combination? I too, am searching for the WOW! factor in overall sound. I'm using ZY Hifi cables with my HD650s, and really improves sound stage, clarity, etc.

I have the LDMKIII and can say that they're great with the HD650's.Yours should be a bit better i guess.Do check out the Little Dot tube rolling thread before you buy any tubes and start from the last page instead from page one, because some great tubes (some with adapters) have been discovered recently for the Little Dot tube amps.
I also own a little dot mk3, and I have a few brands of 6ak5w tubes, including Siemens, and telefunken. Right now I'm using a pair of 6ha5 driver tubes, and also have a moon audio blue Dragon v3 headphone cable for my hd650's. And the 6ha5's, which are made my zenith, have to be ran in EF95 setting, when you use them :D but their very holographic, and very nice soundstage also. Good luck! :)

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #19,510 of 46,533
Also, the 6ha5's are easily find through tube suppliers, as I was not able to find the 6hm5's without buying from a supplier who i have no idea who they were, and I refused to wire them money through PayPal.....I ordered mine through a very reputable tube supplier in Canada.....Those are my thoughts, and actions

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #19,511 of 46,533
And I was told assembling that bottle head amp is very tough and tedious....one mistake, and your pretty much done....the little dot amps are assembled by professionals, and they're made from high quality parts....just so you know, and are aware :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #19,512 of 46,533
And I was told assembling that bottle head amp is very tough and tedious....one mistake, and your pretty much done....the little dot amps are assembled by professionals, and they're made from high quality parts....just so you know, and are aware
smily_headphones1.gif

You have been told wrong as that really is just total bollocks imo

A Crack build will take around 5 hrs if your going slow and carefully following and double/triple checking the instructions as you go. The manual is really superb and very detailed, probably 99% of builders have no problems. If you do have a problem this should show up firstly in the resistance checks and then subsequent in the voltage checks.

Bottlehead offer support and advice on the their forum that is really second to none and if you require some trouble shooting or fine tuning this is more often than not done by the amps designer himself or the other members of the bottlehead team. I would add assistance can be found seven days a week on the bottlehead forum for anyone who might encounter problems or just need some reassurance at any stage during the assembly. 

It is also very hard to make a catastrophic mistake with the Crack all the parts except the transformer cost less than a coffee and Bottlehead will often replace a part by return of post if its been damaged during the build for free.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #19,513 of 46,533
My Mum and I wanted to be the first on HeadFi to wish you the happiest Independence day, I am sure you "thought carefully" about your vote :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Kidding aside, may the day be great for Scotland!

I appreciate this my friends. Sadly, as you probably all know, Scotland died last night. Our old people chose their pension before the future of their grandchildren. Utterly shameful. I'm a grown man but we wept this morning. I still am.

TThat's the last I'll post politics here folks, sorry.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #19,514 of 46,533
I appreciate this my friends. Sadly, as you probably all know, Scotland died last night. Our old people chose their pension before the future of their grandchildren. Utterly shameful. I'm a grown man but we wept this morning. I still am.

Sorry.. just one more...

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #19,515 of 46,533

I was very disappointed to read the results; your interpretation of events seems accurate.  All kinds of people here in the US were predicting doom and gloom for the Scottish economy if the vote was 'Yes' (Google 'Paul Krugman Scotland' as an example).

Frankly, I think some people here are afraid that the US might try something similar; the US is not one country, despite what others may believe.  Keep your head up; despite Cameron's BS comment about the decision being over for this generation, I think the independence movement is not over for Scotland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back