Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #19,532 of 46,554
  Decided to sell my HD650. Time to move on to the HD800. Mint condition, new driver version, 3 Months old. Germany only. PM me.

Mistake. IMHO. Get the HD800. Keep the HD650.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #19,533 of 46,554
Does anyone here that owns both the HD600 and HD650 notice any difference between the headband padding? I know they're interchangeabale, but how different are they really and is one more comfortable than the other? I need to replace mine and wondering whether to just order the HD600 padding or wait for the HD650 padding to come back in stock. I know the difference is probably trivial, but just curious.

Also I'm curious if anyone could comment on the difference between the HD650 and HiFiMan 400i?

thanks!

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #19,536 of 46,554
Does anyone here that owns both the HD600 and HD650 notice any difference between the headband padding? I know they're interchangeabale, but how different are they really and is one more comfortable than the other? I need to replace mine and wondering whether to just order the HD600 padding or wait for the HD650 padding to come back in stock. I know the difference is probably trivial, but just curious.

Also I'm curious if anyone could comment on the difference between the HD650 and HiFiMan 400i?

thanks!

I am also curious whether the HE400 would be an upgrade or a sidestep and whether the HE500 should be my next purchase. I really want to try out some planar magnetic goodness for size!

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #19,537 of 46,554
I am also curious whether the HE400 would be an upgrade or a sidestep and whether the HE500 should be my next purchase. I really want to try out some planar magnetic goodness for size!

I was actually specifically asking about the HE-400i for what it's worth. However, I can also answer your question as I used to own both the HE-400 and the HD650 at the same time. Keep in mind that I don't listen to any EDM at all, mostly prog rock, metal, classical, hip-hop, americana... basically a little bit of everything except EDM. I feel like the HE-400 would excel at EDM though.

The HE-400 are faster and have truly incredible bass that I genuinely miss. Just insane texture and accuracy to the whole thing. They're also really fast, which I really appreciate. However, I strongly prefer the HD650 for the music that I listen to simply because the HE-400 have a dip in the upper midrange that stops them short of sounding totally natural. The HD650, on the other hand, maintain a natural sound and still have that great bass boost that I love so much, while the slight dip in treble helps harsh recordings. The HE-400 have also been described as sibilant and bright, which I think is true but didn't really bother me nearly as much as the weird dip in the frequency response. The HE-400 are also really frickin' heavy and awkward. My girlfriend at the time remarked that they looked like something you would use to apply shock treatment to someone's head. I had both pleather and velour pads and neither were really that comfortable.

The reason I'm asking about the HE-400i is because, from what I'm hearing, it's everything I loved about the HE-400 but without any of the issues I mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #19,538 of 46,554
I have a big, so take that for whatever it's worth.

More information, please
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #19,539 of 46,554
I was actually specifically asking about the HE-400i for what it's worth. However, I can also answer your question as I used to own both the HE-400 and the HD650 at the same time. Keep in mind that I don't listen to any EDM at all, mostly prog rock, metal, classical, hip-hop, americana... basically a little bit of everything except EDM. I feel like the HE-400 would excel at EDM though.

The HE-400 are faster and have truly incredible bass that I genuinely miss. Just insane texture and accuracy to the whole thing. They're also really fast, which I really appreciate. However, I strongly prefer the HD650 for the music that I listen to simply because the HE-400 have a dip in the upper midrange that stops them short of sounding totally natural. The HD650, on the other hand, maintain a natural sound and still have that great bass boost that I love so much, while the slight dip in treble helps harsh recordings. The HE-400 have also been described as sibilant and bright, which I think is true but didn't really bother me nearly as much as the weird dip in the frequency response. The HE-400 are also really frickin' heavy and awkward. My girlfriend at the time remarked that they looked like something you would use to apply shock treatment to someone's head. I had both pleather and velour pads and neither were really that comfortable.

The reason I'm asking about the HE-400i is because, from what I'm hearing, it's everything I loved about the HE-400 but without any of the issues I mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

Just read these reviews on Amazon for the 400i, sounds like they brought these up to your standards, will have to try these, sound interesting.

This review is from: HIFIMAN HE-400i Full-Size Planar Magnetic Headphone (Electronics)

I feel these are one of the best headphones, and also one of the best headphone values, available. In price-to-quality, probably nothing is better. I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD650 dynamic headphones and Koss ESP/950 electrostatic headphones, so I have a couple of other audiophile quality benchmarks to compare the HE-400i's to. I have not been able to compare them to Audeze yet, but feel these could compare favorably to those highly-praised, but much more expensive, headphones. But based on the few times I've worn the Audeze, the HE-400i's are much more comfortable. I love my Koss 950's, but not being able to upgrade the 600v amp without spending $2-5k for another brand is a major drawback. Compared to the Sennheiser 650's, the 400i's leave them well behind in terms of definition and sound staging.

So what about the sound quality? In short, it is extremely detailed and precise without being shrill or taxing. Indeed, the sound emanating from these 'phones is sweet, soothing, and non-fatiguing over long listening sessions. The mids are liquid, the highs are sparkling, the bass is firm and controlled, and instruments and voices are clearly spaced in a wide and deep sound stage. Like all top-quality audio gear, you will find yourself immersed in the music, not analyzing your electronics.

I'm currently using these with both Project Ember and Schiit Valhalla headphones amps, and enjoying a lot of NOS tube-rolling in them. Though they are pretty easy to drive due to 92 db efficiency, I would definitely advise you to use a very high quality amp to get the most out of these headphones. Ditto for your interconnects and other associated gear. (I am currently using Kimber Kable Hero and Signal Cable Analog Two interchangeably with a Jolida JD100 CD player; for analog I am using an Oracle Delphi Mk. V/SME V/Shelter 501/Cary PH301 combo.)

As far as comfort, HiFiMan really did their homework to make these much more comfortable than the earlier HE-400 ("non i") version. They are quite lightweight with a wide, comfortable top band. Most importantly, they don't grip your head in a vise like Sennheiser's do. I always liked the comfort of the Koss ESP's, and the 400i's are on par with those. I feel the "comfort factor" is almost as important in headphones as the sound themselves. What good are headphones if they are uncomfortable to wear even for short periods of time?

Build quality is first-class in every way. The only complaint is that the supplied cables are too short - only about 5'. They do appear to be top-quality (OFC with gold-plated, screw-on connectors). However, since every supplied stock headphone cable is too short for my needs on every brand I've tried, this may be a minor point. I am using a 10' DiMarzio "Big Red" extension cable, and highly recommend them.

So to summarize, I just don't think you can go wrong with these very fine 'phones. Truly superb and reference quality!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

2 of 3 people found the following review helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, September 4, 2014

By 
Brad Bortner (Somerville, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: HIFIMAN HE-400i Full-Size Planar Magnetic Headphone (Electronics)

I upgraded from the HE-400 headphones to these. These are fantastic. The sound quality is several steps better, they are more efficient (shockingly so for a planar magnetic) and probably the most comfortable over the ear headphone I have ever worn.

The only downside I can think of about them is that the stock cable is too short. It seems to be made for those using portable sources (such as an iphone) would could indeed drive them, but for my system I need a longer cord.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #19,541 of 46,554
Just bought the HD650 and am waiting for the delivery. Any suggestions for a good but cheap cable replacement? 6'

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #19,542 of 46,554
  Wrong thread.

If you would have read the reply it was in reply to ohcrapgorillas someone that was interested to see if the 400i had been improved.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #19,545 of 46,554
Just bought the HD650 and am waiting for the delivery. Any suggestions for a good but cheap cable replacement? 6'

Chop it and reterminate it. Cheap as it gets. 
wink.gif

Trevor at Norne makes some great cables for a reasonable price. If you are looking for cheaper but good quality, wje will make you one to order. Just pm him. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back