Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #31,021 of 46,526
Sorry David, yes they are women's' stockings. Has she not got any old ones?

Maybe best to go straight for knickers then?
wink.gif

No old ones at the moment, found out why they cost $75, made of silk and she only uses them on special nights out where she has to ware stockings/garter belt (she looks great in them BTW).  GF said they have cheap nylon stocking for $2.99 so I told her to pickup a pair next time she goes shopping, don't want people to think I'm weird.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #31,024 of 46,526
Somebody needs to do an in depth comparison of the sound of all the different types of stockings.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #31,026 of 46,526
Dec 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #31,027 of 46,526
  650 has no "veil". Our hearing is tuned by everyday real world environmental sounds (e.g. street noises, human speech, etc) to "expect" higher-freq transient sounds. And many HPs (grados, for e.g.) are tuned for supposed clarity in upper mids and treble. So, by comparison, 650 may seem to be more bass-centric and "veiled", when it really isn't, with a good amp driving it.

+1 Agree on that. The veil is more like a myth. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #31,028 of 46,526
  +1 Agree on that. The veil is more like a myth. 

OR is it subjective?

If I compare my portable Denon AH400, HD800 to my HD650 back to back I would honestly say there is "less" clarity in the vocals. This is very apparent when you to a direct back to back test when "memory" is very fresh between swapping headphones. Even my PSB M4u4's have more clarity compared to my HD650. Currently I'm actually enjoying the SQ of my Denon's compared to the HD650. 

At the end of the day it's expected that different "speakers" will sound different using the same exact amplification and source.

When I remove the foam infront of the drivers the "veil" seems to be reduced dramatically enough for my low level listening. The soundstage is not very big with the HD650 this may also be another subjective comment.  

I should bring my copy of HD650 and test it against a fresh set at my local headphone shop. I'm quite curious what I will hear. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #31,029 of 46,526
  OR is it subjective?

If I compare my portable Denon AH400, HD800 to my HD650 back to back I would honestly say there is "less" clarity in the vocals. This is very apparent when you to a direct back to back test when "memory" is very fresh between swapping headphones. Even my PSB M4u4's have more clarity compared to my HD650. Currently I'm actually enjoying the SQ of my Denon's compared to the HD650. 

At the end of the day it's expected that different "speakers" will sound different using the same exact amplification and source.

When I remove the foam infront of the drivers the "veil" seems to be reduced dramatically enough for my low level listening. The soundstage is not very big with the HD650 this may also be another subjective comment.  

I should bring my copy of HD650 and test it against a fresh set at my local headphone shop. I'm quite curious what I will hear. 

The HD650 just has a more darker sound. The highs are shown in different way. Though like most of the things related to sound, it is subjective of course.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #31,030 of 46,526
the distortions figures in the mids are actually pretty darn good, so "veil" is wrong IMO. because if something is masked, it's only by other frequencies. and not noise or distortions that would actually "cover" some information like the veil idea could suggest.
here you can actually EQ the hd650 and "lift the veil", showing that the audio cues were there all along just a little quieter. to my own ears the hd650 is warmish and attenuating some sibilance and slight harshness. if I take the 5/6khz up for example, I get a good deal of that back. but do you want sibilance and slight harshness back? meh. at least not all of it for me.
it's a matter of taste in the end. what some call a veil is part of the reason why I spend so much time on the hd650. but a ER4 or hd800 fan will clearly find some of the mids to be too recessed. nothing surprising here.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #31,034 of 46,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back