Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #31,053 of 46,554
  which amp is better for the hd650. lyr or vahalla 2.
i like to know the differences between these in sound.

Why are you locked onto tubes?
Like loudspeakers that are high impedance power hungry loads IMHO a very high quality solid state amp is the way to go. Something with a large well regulated power supply and a output circuit that can grab ahold of the drivers and deliever smooth clean sound.
Some canidates are Emotiva DC-1, Oppo HA1, Marantz HD DAC1  Benchmark DAC2 HGC.  All would be excellent choices and deliever sound quality that is hard to surpass.  JNHO

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #31,054 of 46,554
  Why are you locked onto tubes?
Like loudspeakers that are high impedance power hungry loads IMHO a very high quality solid state amp is the way to go. Something with a large well regulated power supply and a output circuit that can grab ahold of the drivers and deliever smooth clean sound.
Some canidates are Emotiva DC-1, Oppo HA1, Marantz HD DAC1  Benchmark DAC2 HGC.  All would be excellent choices and deliever sound quality that is hard to surpass.  JNHO

half of these candidates are out of my price range.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #31,055 of 46,554
if you compare it to most flagships and stuff called "neutral" (yeah right a neutral headphone, million laughs pal), then it's very obvious how the 5khz area is a good deal quieter. not the only thing that needs EQing IMO, but the most obvious in the supposed "mid veil".
the thing is, I can't stand how it is too loud on a hd800, k701, SR009 and all those stuff supposedly "neutral"(read it with dr evil in mind). to my ears a headphone should slowly go down past 3khz(raw response) and anything not doing that is mistaking brightness for resolution(again to my ears).
to me the hd650 goes down too fast  after 3khz, but at the right time. so I accept the idea that hd650 is "veiled" if you give me that too many flagships are "bright".
biggrin.gif

anway, it's all the same I still have to EQ them all in the end.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #31,056 of 46,554
castleofargh, you might like the Audioquest NightHawk!  Or the Sony Z7, perhaps.  Downward-sloping treble.....................

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #31,057 of 46,554
So far they do what I expected to do, they are very forgiving. Bad recorded music is listenable on these. Seems Tyll (from innerfidelity) was correct. I think I'll keep these. 

I hope the comfort will improve though with longer use. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #31,058 of 46,554
  So far they do what I expected to do, they are very forgiving. Bad recorded music is listenable on these. Seems Tyll (from innerfidelity) was correct. I think I'll keep these. 

The comfort will get better with use, at least mine did....I agree, these make your not so good recorded music very listenable as they are very forgiving....they also scale wonderful with upgraded gear.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #31,059 of 46,554
castleofargh, you might like the Audioquest NightHawk!  Or the Sony Z7, perhaps.  Downward-sloping treble.....................

The Nighthawk is a great headphone. Have been listening to it a lot since getting the Oppo headphone amp. Had the Sony for a while but that is a truly dark phone, it always sounded a little off.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #31,060 of 46,554

Comfort will get better, if you're refering to the clamping force. If it doesn't you can always bend the metal a little, not the plastic mind you.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #31,061 of 46,554
Hasn't been my experience personally. I personally found most veiled headphones I've heard on the brighter side. I never found brighter headphones to have inherently greater clarity than darker headphones. Veiled and non-veiled to me comes down to how transparent a headphone is to my ears. I found there is a lot of veiled sounding headphones whether bright or dark. I think a veil is more related to transparency for some people and others it seems to be more frequency response dependent. It's really heavily perception based and honestly some people will find the HD 650's veiled and others won't, can't really do anything about it. Honestly I wouldn't consider what they are hearing is wrong, because it is what they are hearing after all. I personally found the HD 600 quite veiled but I didn't really find the HD 650 veiled. 
Amps are veiled! Not HD650 or 600... Trie it with neutral amp and both 600 Series will never sound veiled. People listening HD600Series with highly colored Tube amps and then call them Veiled... This is joke.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #31,063 of 46,554
Amps are veiled! Not HD650 or 600... Trie it with neutral amp and both 600 Series will never sound veiled. People listening HD600Series with highly colored Tube amps and then call them Veiled... This is joke.

My Burson Virtuoso still has a muffled veil to my ears while using the HD650. My HD650's have an ever so slight muffle using an amplifier that does not overly warm characteristics. 

If the source is not overly coloured and the amp is simply doing it's job  (solid state) there shouldn't be such a manipulated frequency response. The HD650 is not muddy it's more like a soft warm flow of music. Subjectively some can find it cloaked with some dark heaviness with some high roll off.  

I'm not debating because I do accept the nature of the performance the HD650 provides. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #31,064 of 46,554
My Burson Virtuoso still has a muffled veil to my ears while using the HD650. My HD650's have an ever so slight muffle using an amplifier that does not overly warm characteristics. 

If the source is not overly coloured and the amp is simply doing it's job  (solid state) there shouldn't be such a manipulated frequency response. 

I'm not debating because I do accept the nature of the performance the HD650 provides. 
Strange, i tried Little dot 3 for example and it make even my Dt990 muffled... I understand Warm amp is good for enjoying music, but some amps go to far that all the details gonna disappear on such setups. Next amp specifically for My HD650 gonna be neutral with very little warm.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #31,065 of 46,554
Project Starlight, Sunrise III or Solstice for matching with my hd650, plus future headphone purchases?

EDIT:  Or should I not bother if I'm not going for the ember?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back