Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #31,006 of 46,554
Well, the Shure SE846 has no treble, so I don't think it's related with the frequency response (it's darker than the HD650). 

Below is a graph:

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #31,007 of 46,554
Well, I don't really know because I don't feel that it has a 'veil'.

This is an old as the hills complaint about the hd650 that I don't understand. Some say old drivers, others say pad condition.

Many headphones by comparison though have a lifted treble response and the SE846 I'd say isn't typical.

If it's not related to frequency response, then I'm at a loss.

Your other headphones, with the exception of the P5 have quite a healthy top end though don't they? I wonder if you use the SE846 a lot? If not, that may account for you hearing a veil?

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #31,008 of 46,554
Well, I don't really know because I don't feel that it has a 'veil'.

This is an old as the hills complaint about the hd650 that I don't understand. Some say old drivers, others say pad condition.

Many headphones by comparison though have a lifted treble response and the SE846 I'd say isn't typical.

If it's not related to frequency response, then I'm at a loss.

Your other headphones, with the exception of the P5 have quite a healthy top end though don't they? I wonder if you use the SE846 a lot? If not, that may account for you hearing a veil?

Well, I only listen to the Sennheiser HD800 and the Shure SE846 nowadays. The B&W P5 also lacks clarity. I suspect it's related to the speed of the drivers and how transparent they are.

It's no big deal though since it is a forgiving headphone. That is what I got them for. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #31,009 of 46,554
A lot of people who have not been following this hobby for a long time probably don't remember that the HD600 was also accused of having a veil when it first came out as well.  It was simply referred to as the "Sennheiser Veil".  Back at that time, there were basically only Grados and Sennheisers competing for the top of the heap (Stax was off in another area and really not discussed much).  The Grado's of course were very bright and the Grado fans accused the Sennheisers of having a veil, putting you to sleep, being boring, etc.  The Sennheiser fans accused the Grados of being colored, only for fun, etc.  As has been stated above, in more recent times, the trend has been toward more treble to give the impression of high resolution so a more real-life sounding phone like the HD650 is still accused of having a veil.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #31,010 of 46,554
I'm not sure if this is real-life sounding because high-end reference speakers don't have this HD650 veil. I also heard speaker setups in the $150.000 range (they weren't reference) and they also have got great clarity. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #31,011 of 46,554

I have only had my HD650 for a few hours, but it's definetly something I noticed in comparison to my other headphones. 

So far, it does what I bought them for very good. It handles old and bad recorded music pretty good. 

I remove the foam between the driver and your ears. I listen to music at low levels so I've enjoyed my hd650's alot more without the foam. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #31,012 of 46,554
Without the foam, you do get slight resonances happening as well. It's not bad but they do increase at one frequency. Others remove the felt from the inside back of the drivers. I haven't done that to a 650, but I have to a 600.

I suppose that you know about using women's' tights to cover the drivers?

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #31,013 of 46,554
Without the foam, you do get slight resonances happening as well. It's not bad but they do increase at one frequency. Others remove the felt from the inside back of the drivers. I haven't done that to a 650, but I have to a 600.

I suppose that you know about using women's' tights to cover the drivers?

women's tights? hmmm interesting :)

With my low level listening I think I may just scratch by without getting resonance. 

I'm always willing to experiment. I will see if I have time to play around more with my HD650's. 

Thanks for the info!!!

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #31,014 of 46,554
To do the tights thing for protection of the drivers, it's actually quite easy.

Cut out a nice sized patch. Take off the pads and stretch the nylon over the drivers and clip the pads back over the top, trapping the tights.

Then I pull on the tights to get them really tight. They will slip with a good tug.

Then cut the edges of the tights away by pulling them outwards from the cup while cutting. Then they spring back and you don't see too much.

If you remove the pads again, the tights jump off!!! :wink:

Stops hairs going in.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #31,015 of 46,554
650 has no "veil". Our hearing is tuned by everyday real world environmental sounds (e.g. street noises, human speech, etc) to "expect" higher-freq transient sounds. And many HPs (grados, for e.g.) are tuned for supposed clarity in upper mids and treble. So, by comparison, 650 may seem to be more bass-centric and "veiled", when it really isn't, with a good amp driving it.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #31,018 of 46,554
To do the tights thing for protection of the drivers, it's actually quite easy.

Cut out a nice sized patch. Take off the pads and stretch the nylon over the drivers and clip the pads back over the top, trapping the tights.

Then I pull on the tights to get them really tight. They will slip with a good tug.

Then cut the edges of the tights away by pulling them outwards from the cup while cutting. Then they spring back and you don't see too much.

If you remove the pads again, the tights jump off!!!
wink.gif

Stops hairs going in.

"tights" are women's stockings right?  My GF said no-way am I using her stockings, they cost $75, said I have to wait until she ruins one to try this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back