Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #20,386 of 46,533
  but from the same amp in SE and in BA, I have always experienced a good deal of change. that I attributed to the SE being bad, or a big impedance or crosstalk change. still, whatever the reason I also felt as if there were differences.

I guess if the amp is inherently balanced design, then it would work best in balanced mode, rather than summing things up for SE output.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #20,387 of 46,533

but from the same amp in SE and in BA, I have always experienced a good deal of change. that I attributed to the SE being bad, or a big impedance or crosstalk change. still, whatever the reason I also felt as if there were differences.

I guess if the amp is inherently balanced design, then it would work best in balanced mode, rather than summing things up for SE output.

that's also my idea, but I really don't know enough on the subject.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #20,388 of 46,533
  Try the same amp in SE and then in balanced. Then do it blind. Then I'll have more evidence.

When you have a balanced amp, which was designed to be used balanced, naturally you're not using 'all' of the amp by using the SE out. That's why with the same amp, as long as it is a balanced design SE-out and XLR-out would make a lot of difference. Although there are some other amps that have XLR-out just purely for convenience, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #20,389 of 46,533

When you have a balanced amp, which was designed to be used balanced, naturally you're not using 'all' of the amp by using the SE out. That's why with the same amp, as long as it is a balanced design SE-out and XLR-out would make a lot of difference. Although there are some other amps that have XLR-out just purely for convenience, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Nicely put, I think if your not sure or your a non-believer and are not running balanced gear, you should maybe get your hands on some balanced gear at local meets or retailers, the only real way of knowing for sure is to hear it for yourself

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #20,390 of 46,533
Never fell in love with my HD650's. I barely use them so I'm selling. I'll probably hold off for a while, and get some better headphones when I have more money.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #20,391 of 46,533
Never fell in love with my HD650's. I barely use them so I'm selling. I'll probably hold off for a while, and get some better headphones when I have more money.

I recommend you try Philips Fidelio X2. I was thinking about buying an expensive amp (Senn HDVD800) to make HD650 reach their full potential, however after hearing Fidelio X2 yesterday out of an iPad's headphone jack, my thoughts changed. X2 is amazing for the price, and sounds better than HD650 in my opinion. Plus I don't need an amp so it's a win-win situation. I've ordered mine and it'll probably arrive in 2-3 days. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #20,393 of 46,533

The above for me = LOVE.

Best I can get without being tethered to the Home Audio System.

iBASSO DX90 Coaxial - OUT
Forza Audio Works 5cm RCA-W&M cable (FAW Copper Series Digital LO for Hifiman/iBasso/JH3-A - DAPDAC : iBasso DX100, Length : 5 cm, Termination : W&M RCA)
iFi iDSD Micro Amp/DAC SPDiF - IN  Settings:  Power|TURBO, Polarity| +, Filter| BIT PERFECT,  IE Match| OFF, 3D| ON, XBass| ON 

Most Music never needs me to turn the volume past 11 or 12 o'clock  Can't even max-out the pot with the headphones on!  (AKA "Louder than I'd EVER go no matter what".)

Great full sound, wide soundstage, solid BASS but controlled.  (I drop the XBASS for most piano or classical though.  Not because it's bad, but because it doesn't add anything.)  Clear vocals!  I love the female voice with this setup more than ever before.  I'm not a bass-head, but had always been listening to bass-forward headphones (VMODA Bass-Freqs, PHOTIVE PH-BTX6, etc..) when not slumming on Apple earbuds or Koss Sparkplugs for the gym.  Consequently, I believe my "normal" to my ears is a bit warmer and bassier than "Flat" representation, but it's not like I can't appreciate a good representation.  So I think that I'm overly-sensitive to sibilance.  (I.e. I couldn't take the GRADO SR-225e sound, though I immensely respected the detail that it provided.)

At the moment:  Listening to Roger Waters "What God Wants Part-1" while adjusting a project plan for the millionth time....  Changing the project plan yet again, IMMENSELY annoying.  Changing the plan while listening to AWESOME music, not so bad.  
happy_face1.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #20,394 of 46,533

The above for me = LOVE.

Best I can get without being tethered to the Home Audio System.

iBASSO DX90 Coaxial - OUT
Forza Audio Works 5cm RCA-W&M cable (FAW Copper Series Digital LO for Hifiman/iBasso/JH3-A - DAPDAC : iBasso DX100, Length : 5 cm, Termination : W&M RCA)
iFi iDSD Micro Amp/DAC SPDiF - IN  Settings:  Power|TURBO, Polarity| +, Filter| BIT PERFECT,  IE Match| OFF, 3D| ON, XBass| ON 

Most Music never needs me to turn the volume past 11 or 12 o'clock  Can't even max-out the pot with the headphones on!  (AKA "Louder than I'd EVER go no matter what".)

Great full sound, wide soundstage, solid BASS but controlled.  (I drop the XBASS for most piano or classical though.  Not because it's bad, but because it doesn't add anything.)  Clear vocals!  I love the female voice with this setup more than ever before.  I'm not a bass-head, but had always been listening to bass-forward headphones (VMODA Bass-Freqs, PHOTIVE PH-BTX6, etc..) when not slumming on Apple earbuds or Koss Sparkplugs for the gym.  Consequently, I believe my "normal" to my ears is a bit warmer and bassier than "Flat" representation, but it's not like I can't appreciate a good representation.  So I think that I'm overly-sensitive to sibilance.  (I.e. I couldn't take the GRADO SR-225e sound, though I immensely respected the detail that it provided.)

At the moment:  Listening to Roger Waters "What God Wants Part-1" while adjusting a project plan for the millionth time....  Changing the project plan yet again, IMMENSELY annoying.  Changing the plan while listening to AWESOME music, not so bad.  
happy_face1.gif

Wow! Beautiful, I envy your portable setup :wink:

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #20,395 of 46,533
My opinion is that the hd650 reaches it's potential with the BHC or Val 2...just IMO.

I listened to HD650's at the meet and adored them. The ones I have are far from the dark, warm juicy goodness that I heard, even out of the stock cable on my own amp.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #20,396 of 46,533
I think the HD650s are so popular because it's hard to find to a nice dark sounding headphone.  The majority of headphones in the high end market are very bright, and I don't really blame them for making them bright, typically people that spend a lot money on headphones are older and have already started losing some of their high frequency hearing so those headphones compensate for that.  Darker headphones feel more like listening to speakers, frequency response wise.  It seems like highs from speakers are diminished at a distance.  Not to mention HD650s make badly recorded music still sound decent.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #20,398 of 46,533
  ^^ This is why I own the 650 and 800.
biggrin.gif

And why I can't stand the 650 alone either! 
biggrin.gif

I'm becoming more and more claustrophobic with only this one at hand. It's been like that since I had it, for a few months now. I tried to get used to it, but I'm actually having an harder and harder time to enjoy the warm and dark tone as time goes by.

Doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of it, but I really feel the need to try something airier (especially with the Gustard H10 now rolling), even if it's for the sake of just trying. It doesn't much hurt if at all when bought and resold used anyway.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #20,399 of 46,533
  And why I can't stand the 650 alone either! 
biggrin.gif

I'm becoming more and more claustrophobic with only this one at hand. It's been like that since I had it, for a few months now. I tried to get used to it, but I'm actually having an harder and harder time to enjoy the warm and dark tone as time goes by.

Doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of it, but I really feel the need to try something airier (especially with the Gustard H10 now rolling), even if it's for the sake of just trying. It doesn't much hurt if at all when bought and resold used anyway.

Very true.  The only way to be confident that you have what you really like is to try different phones for yourself.  Having owned many of the flagships over the last several years and coming back to the 650's allows me to not feel like I might be missing something.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #20,400 of 46,533
It's funny, because I'm having issues finding the 650's to be dark enough for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back