Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #317 of 1,140
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #318 of 1,140
Quote:
They're the same supposedly>>>> http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-Cushions-SENNHEISER-Headphones/dp/B002STGF6O

I'll probably buy a pair soon, just to have for the future when/if my current ones mess up.

Nope, the HD558 earpads have a valour surface (like a plush toy) and is rounded while the HD518 earpads has a cloth surface (like a curtain) and has a flat surface. The HD558 one is significantly softer and more comfortable though they are interexchangable. The HD598 one is just like the HD558 one except its brown and softer.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #320 of 1,140
Quote:
Nope, the HD558 earpads have a valour surface (like a plush toy) and is rounded while the HD518 earpads has a cloth surface (like a curtain) and has a flat surface. The HD558 one is significantly softer and more comfortable though they are interexchangable. The HD598 one is just like the HD558 one except its brown and softer.

Oh, well at least they're interchangeable. I would definitely get them if i had the 518's.... only $25 for more comfort, yes please.. lol
Quote:
My new cable arrived today. It's quite nice!

Where did you get this? I was going to buy a stock 5x8 cable and try and do it myself (make it shorter and give it some sex appeal like yours), but i do what i always do.... p*ssy out lmao

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #324 of 1,140
Quote:
Youre going to love it. It tames the treble just a bit to smooth the bit of glare I get from stock, and adds a smidge of midrange warmth and soundstage depth. Im guessing its OFC copper.

This is a joke, by the way. The new cable sounds exactly the same as the stock cable - as it should.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #326 of 1,140
Quote:

This is a joke, by the way. The new cable sounds exactly the same as the stock cable - as it should.
biggrin.gif

I was going to say something when i first read that... but then i remember reading this post in another thread.. 

Originally Posted by kimvictor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even with same drivers, things like damping, soldering, cable, and driver placement changes a way headphones sound.

Then i was like.... IT MUST BE TRUE! lmao i'm gullible....... obviously people still believe in this.. no?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, ever since i took off the outside mesh, i can turn up the volume full blast without my ears feeling pain. Probably because so much sound leaks out of them now lol... i know, i know, i only turned them up full blast for a couple seconds or so just to see what they can do.... my ears would probably get sore after a while but before i modded them, they were definitely louder.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #327 of 1,140
A page or two back i mentioned the problem i had with my brand new hd558s. Well i contacted adgtron and they contacted sennheiser for warranty service. I sent them out a week ago for repair and i just got a order confirmation email from sennheiser saying my repaired/refurbished headphones are on their way!

I just wanted to say that both adgtron and sennheiser's customer service are great. I was also surprised to see that refurbished pairs from adgtron actually do come with the full two year warranty!

On the other hand UPS sucks. Never updated the tracking info. Even now it's still on "Online label has been created". :mad:

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #328 of 1,140
Does anyone who has also tried the HD 202 know how the 558s compare to those? Obviously the 558s are better, but in what ways, aside from soundstage? I find ive gotten used to the somewhat excessive bass of the 202, so the 558 i imagine will take some getting used to. Also, if i got the headphones used (but only a few months old) does that mean the 2 year warranty isnt valid? Im assuming they wont be shipped with whatever paperwork came with them.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #329 of 1,140
Quote:
Does anyone who has also tried the HD 202 know how the 558s compare to those? Obviously the 558s are better, but in what ways, aside from soundstage? I find ive gotten used to the somewhat excessive bass of the 202, so the 558 i imagine will take some getting used to. Also, if i got the headphones used (but only a few months old) does that mean the 2 year warranty isnt valid? Im assuming they wont be shipped with whatever paperwork came with them.

I came from the HD202 as well, and I can say that there difference is in overall refinement, much more comfortable, smoothness, and definitely much less tizzyness in the treble. Bass is different, cause it is not forceful like what closed normally offers but it's more of a surround feel. The midrange is the one to be most noticable, it's much more organic and has much more presense. One thing you may miss is the overall impact from the sound because the HD558 simply is just smooth sounding.
My hd202 is modded now though, 1 sided detachable cable, semi open now and the pleather earpads stripped of it's skin to its cloth centre and modlified damping in the earcup. It is much more neutral sounding with a better soundstage.

Not sure about all those warranty things though.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #330 of 1,140
Just got mine. Really nice quality cable. Note, the original has 4 contacts where this replacement has three. Works just fine. Great deal for $17.80 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?var=560215640802&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My new cable arrived today. It's quite nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back