Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #286 of 1,140
So I can get these headphones at work for $100. How are they for electronic and hip hop? I prefer as much bass as I can get. I'm currently using the Denon D2K's and they sound great buy I don't think my Fiio E11 is giving them enough power to bring out their full capabilities, and I won't be getting another amp anytime soon.

These are good sounding, easy to drive headphones. The E11 will have no trouble with them. As for "as much bass as I can get" these probably are not the cans for you. I find the bass realistic and satisfying for the music I listen to (classical, jazz, classic rock, prog rock), but I don't think these will bring out what you are looking for. Most bassheads find these to be anemic. They are, for one thing open cans. Too bad, because $100 is a great price for new 558s (mine cost $105 refurbished).

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #287 of 1,140
coming from a moded  HD555, I was very dissapointed  in the 558's.  They sound too dark, narrow soundstage and no treble spark but excellent bass.  After much research I decided to purchase the Audio Technica ATH-AD 900x which so far I like very much out of the box but it still needs quite a bit burning before it reaches its maximum potential. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #288 of 1,140
coming from a moded  HD555, I was very dissapointed  in the 558's.  They sound too dark, narrow soundstage and no treble spark but excellent bass.  After much research I decided to purchase the Audio Technica ATH-AD 900x which so far I like very much out of the box but it still needs quite a bit burning before it reaches its maximum potential. 

Interesting, I find the soundstage open and the treble fine (as I said above, these aren't considered to be basshead cans, although they are great for the music I listen to). What did use to drive these?

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #289 of 1,140
Anyone use these for EDM? Also I know they are open headphones but just how much sound do they leak?

I do, well they would leak almost as much as your typical headphone that is not on your head since they are open. Though headphone speakers themselves are not very loud i could still listen to them in the library at lower volumes.
These headphones are mids ad soundstage focused. The bass is not very powerful, but its more towards neutral though it has a midbass hump which may cause it to sound boomy but it will add lushness and richness to instrumental music.
Personally i use the eq and mods to make this more enjoyable for EDM. But if not eq tuning another choice would be the DT770 for more bass and less leakage at the cost of some soundstage and mids.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #290 of 1,140
A modded HD555 would sound similar to the HD598, so it is expected to find the stock HD558 soundstage smaller.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #292 of 1,140
I do, well they would leak almost as much as your typical headphone that is not on your head since they are open. Though headphone speakers themselves are not very loud i could still listen to them in the library at lower volumes.
These headphones are mids ad soundstage focused. The bass is not very powerful, but its more towards neutral though it has a midbass hump which may cause it to sound boomy but it will add lushness and richness to instrumental music.
Personally i use the eq and mods to make this more enjoyable for EDM. But if not eq tuning another choice would be the DT770 for more bass and less leakage at the cost of some soundstage and mids.

See with the DT770s, I briefly listened to them and the mids sounded quite recessed.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #293 of 1,140
See with the DT770s, I briefly listened to them and the mids sounded quite recessed.

Well yeah that's the downside of the beyers. In that case guess then the senns should be good then with the significantly more prominent mids.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #295 of 1,140
Just ordered these on Amazon $108 refurbished. ADGtron just stocked up on some more refurbs and for that price I couldn't help it. Should be here early next week! :D

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #296 of 1,140
Just ordered these on Amazon $108 refurbished. ADGtron just stocked up on some more refurbs and for that price I couldn't help it. Should be here early next week! :D

Good price! Mine were about the same also from Adgtron through Amazon. The refurbished phones were good as new. I hope that your experience is similar.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #297 of 1,140
So my uDac2 somehow got into contact with a magnet and now it's beyond fixing I'm afraid.

So I'm in the market for a DAC (or a DAC/AMP combo). So I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations with driving the HD558s?

My budget is probably $150-200 (would probably spend 200 if it was a dac/amp combo)

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #298 of 1,140
Quote:
So my uDac2 somehow got into contact with a magnet and now it's beyond fixing I'm afraid.

So I'm in the market for a DAC (or a DAC/AMP combo). So I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations with driving the HD558s?

My budget is probably $150-200 (would probably spend 200 if it was a dac/amp combo)

C-entrance DACport is a notable option.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #299 of 1,140

I use the Aune T1 which drives these phones beautifully. It is discussed in detail here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq. The Aune is a hybrid dac/amp and is right in your price range.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #300 of 1,140
Quote:
I use the Aune T1 which drives these phones beautifully. It is discussed in detail here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq. The Aune is a hybrid dac/amp and is right in your price range.

Definitely looks interesting, I'll be looking more into it. Also been looking into the magni/modi combo, but I haven't found anyone who uses it with hd558s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back