Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #166 of 1,140
Quote:

Wellllll... HOW DOES IT SOUNND?! lol

How the hell did you manage to fix it with duct tape? I guess duct tape does fix everything lol

Also, you use the grey duct tape? I've been using the red and black stuff.. i doubt it matters anyhow.

Well overall i feel it sounds more transparent, and has less veil. Bass is even lighter than before, soundstage is even wider, mid treble is also heightened. I'm going to listen more before i draw my conclusions.
And lol the duct tape is basically just holding the wires in place so it is touching the solder.
biggrin.gif
(but it took me about 5 attempts to get it right so it doesn't disconnect every 5 seconds, which made me pull hair and wash hair, because i hate how oily it is and how annoyingly long it is, gotta cut it soon)
Well also i'm not sure if i'm using cloth tape or duct tape, seems pretty similar to me. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #168 of 1,140
Lol well i am not sure, because i use eq settings all the time. So i retuned the eq to suit the headphone after i modded it.
After further listening on a flat eq setting i feel that it doesnt exactly push up the bass or reduce it... it just i guess has a more 'sennheiser hous sound' to the bass, it feels more rounded, not sure how to describe it. (seeing that i have no reference now) i guess you could say it sounds like the HD598 bass. Can feel a lot of the midbass, with not too much subbass and the lower mids being smooth and lush.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #170 of 1,140
I don't think i'll do it... i'm relatively happy with the 558's now (foam mod, duct tape in replacement). I'm not too worried about the dust (you could always open them up every now and then and clean them out)... but if i don't like it i can't really revert back to it. I'm such a wimp lol 

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #171 of 1,140
There's plenty of open-back headphones without a dust cover over the grill.  I wouldn't really worry about it.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #172 of 1,140
Quote:
I don't think i'll do it... i'm relatively happy with the 558's now (foam mod, duct tape in replacement). I'm not too worried about the dust (you could always open them up every now and then and clean them out)... but if i don't like it i can't really revert back to it. I'm such a wimp lol 

I understand that completely. I think Streetdragon was right. Even though I've never heard the HD598 I think these would sound very similar. Based on what we both have said and things I've heard about those. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #173 of 1,140
Quote:
I understand that completely. I think Streetdragon was right. Even though I've never heard the HD598 I think these would sound very similar. Based on what we both have said and things I've heard about those. 

Well i have a hard time not giving into temptation.. i'm going to wait and see what you guys still think in a few days time once you have had some time using them.. then i might just have to join in lol

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #174 of 1,140
I realized that you can actually improve the soundstage even more if you remove the inner earcup lining and the silver ring since it would open up more air vents. Those are easily reversable.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #175 of 1,140
Quote:
I realized that you can actually improve the soundstage even more if you remove the inner earcup lining and the silver ring since it would open up more air vents. Those are easily reversable.
wink.gif

Do you mean the inner ear mesh that you told me about and i tried with mine but put it back on because of dust?

What silver ring are you talking about?

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #176 of 1,140
Quote:
Do you mean the inner ear mesh that you told me about and i tried with mine but put it back on because of dust?

What silver ring are you talking about?

lol yeah that one, and also the silver ring is the one that surrounds the grill

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #177 of 1,140
Just got these today, they sound pretty amazing imo, got them for 138 AUD used incl. shipping, pretty good deal. They came burned-in already and removing the foam made the sound even better although some people might disagree with this. 

Comparing these with my ATH-A700X, they have better instrument separation, midrange and slightly better treble. I'm impressed with Sennheiser as these are my first cans from them. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #178 of 1,140
Quote:
Just got these today, they sound pretty amazing imo, got them for 138 AUD used incl. shipping, pretty good deal. They came burned-in already and removing the foam made the sound even better although some people might disagree with this. 

Comparing these with my ATH-A700X, they have better instrument separation, midrange and slightly better treble. I'm impressed with Sennheiser as these are my first cans from them. 

Not tried the ATH-AD700x but i have tried the ATH-700 and i find although it has a very airy sound, it feels very forced and artificial, not very good imaging unlike the senn's closer but more transparent and distinct soundstage.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #179 of 1,140
it feels very forced and artificial, unlike the senn's closer but more transparent and distinct soundstage.

I kind of understand what you're saying but I think the A700X soundstage is great, however the cymbals are a bit too sizzly while the HD558's cymbals are much more smooth and bearable, I could also hear the stringing of the violin a bit more clearly on the HD558's.

But I guess that's expected as the A700X are cheaper headphones.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #180 of 1,140
Quote:
I kind of understand what you're saying but I think the A700X soundstage is great, however the cymbals are a bit too sizzly while the HD558's cymbals are much more smooth and bearable, I could also hear the stringing of the violin a bit more clearly on the HD558's.

But I guess that's expected as the A700X are cheaper headphones.

well oops i was actually referring to a different pair of audio technica headphones, so my comparison is invalid ,but anyway its good that you like the improvement 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back