Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #196 of 1,140
Well first of all, the soundstage is far better since it's an open-back. The highs and mids are far more pronounced here. Bass is better on the 428 though. P.S. only 8 hours on these. But so far liking them.

Yeah the soundstage, mids & highs are good. I've never tried the 428's so I can't say anything about them. 

Give the 558's some more time they'll open up eventually, also have you considered performing the foam mod? for me it improved the soundstage, mids & highs further.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #197 of 1,140
Yeah the soundstage, mids & highs are good. I've never tried the 428's so I can't say anything about them. 

Give the 558's some more time they'll open up eventually, also have you considered performing the foam mod? for me it improved the soundstage, mids & highs further.

Well they are okay for a closed headphone, but the materials really feel cheap. Lol. Like the ear pads, and the extremely thin cable.

I'm afraid of doing it, some say the bass becomes slightly bloated? Is that true?

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #198 of 1,140
Well they are okay for a closed headphone, but the materials really feel cheap. Lol. Like the ear pads, and the extremely thin cable.

I'm afraid of doing it, some say the bass becomes slightly bloated? Is that true?

Yes the bass does become less punchy and more boomy/flabby, but at the exchange of better soundstage width, depth and seperation.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #199 of 1,140
With the mod, is the soundstage on this as good as the 598s? I want a pair of headphones that are good for both music and movies and the bigger the soundstage the better. Are there any other contenders at this price point?

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #200 of 1,140
Quite similar, just less refined sounding.
And for soundstage, not sure if any other cans that i know of can beat the hd598 at that price.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #201 of 1,140

Sorry, I forgot to mention the bass but Streetdragon has already pretty much explained everything.

With the mod, is the soundstage on this as good as the 598s? I want a pair of headphones that are good for both music and movies and the bigger the soundstage the better.

The 558's in general have a different sound from the 598, the 598 is more airy and has more of a mid-treble focus with not much emphasis on bass at all, imo it's much more suited for classical music listeners but I can see its application for movies.

Are there any other contenders at this price point?

You can try asking around in the main headphone recommendation thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

I'll give you a recommendation anyway, if you don't really have a genre of music you stick to, try some Audio Technica's as they are renowned for making balanced headphones if you can tolerate their funny wing support system.

May 3, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #202 of 1,140
these are maybe my fav headphone now. I have the RS-1, HF-2, Ksc 35, K701, K550, SR-60 with flats, DT990, Momentum, and Aviators and really think these hit the right spot. For the first time I really feel like I'm listening to something that does a good job with everything and never feels real out of whack. It's the type of headphone you'd give a 7 or 8 out of ten in every category whereas others will have a 10/10 in one category and a 3/10 in another. This 558 has a very full sound without getting bloated, guitars sound rich, sound stage is very adequate for film scores, sound is wide and deep, and it can also be exciting, albeit falling short of an RS-1 or HD-25. Stuff sounds a lot more real than with the K550, which was my newest phone previously. Stuff sounds more real with the 558 than with the others I have. 701 is slightly more exciting with film scores. The problem with most of my previous high-end phones is that there's always a handul of albums that become unbearingly fatiguing to listen to. A lot of the time it's not even modern stuff. With the K550 some of the albums were Kiss-Alive 2 WG, Double Platinum PPD, Blaze Silicon Messiah, Harlan Cage Forbidden Colors, things that I hadn't found fatiguing before. Nothing really gets fatiguing using the 701 with my Arcam 73 and heed canamp, but those phones lack so much body that you really need to crank the volume to get any excitement out of them with rock or metal. I don't have a suitable amp to try them with my Sansa clip zip, which is my primary device now. I use an Ibasso P2 with it fed by an audio quest evergreen cable. These 558 phones might only have 2 hours of burn in now. Some loud 90s albums like Biohazard State of the World Address and King Diamond Voodoo were sort of a pain to listen to earlier. They both have a brightish, brittle quality to their sound. The only phone that made Morbid Angel Domination sound exciting was the 701. The lack of body seemed to help even out the muddiness of that album. K550 didn't like dance party like it's 1999 and that sort of music much. 558 does a pretty good job with it though. I also notice it digs up cracks and pops on needledrops that I didn't hear with other phones. It's tough to describe how it places music. Sometimes it feels like you could literally reach out and grab it, although it's not as airy as the AKG phones or the RS-1. It feels like the music is surrounding you. Really cool. Haven't got that with any other phone and I've been to a Can Jam where I tried most everything. The comfort on these things is better than the rest of what I own too. Too bad these leak more sound than anything I have, I'll be stuck using the 550 on planes til I get an HD-25, which I thought was awesome when I tried it.

May 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #203 of 1,140
Good job!

K701 "lacking body"?

May 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #204 of 1,140
The Sennheiser HD 558 sounds great connected directly to an Apple iPhone 4S. But connected to a Fiio E 11 with the gain on low and EQ on zero, It sounds absolutely fantastic. I prefer these to my Sennheiser momentum's which are my headphone of choice when I am outside the home.

I was thinking about upgrading to the HD 598 or the HD 600, but I am going to wait a while and enjoy these wonderfully rich headphones. I love the wide soundstage, the warm, robust mids powerful drums, the sweeping majesty of horn sections and orchestral arrangements, and the great detail. I hear things in movies and songs that I didn't even hear on my Momentums.

I have discovered that putting my amp on high gain and bumping the equalizer to one or two makes the sound harsh and fuzzy rather than improved. It is fantastic with the gain on low and the EQ on zero

May 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #205 of 1,140
I forgot to say that I love listening to 320 bit songs on Spotify with the HD 558 hooked up to my iPhone and Fiio E11. I listen to the remastered Star Wars episode four soundtrack, Cleveland Orchestra, Best of James Taylor, Eddie Money, and some contemporary pop.

But these headphones also sound great with my iPod classic. I was afraid it would not sound so great because my iPod classic uses the cirrus audio chip rather than the Wolfson, But with these headphones and the amp, the iPod classic has never sound better

May 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #206 of 1,140
Quote:
The Sennheiser HD 558 sounds great connected directly to an Apple iPhone 4S. But connected to a Fiio E 11 with the gain on low and EQ on zero, It sounds absolutely fantastic. I prefer these to my Sennheiser momentum's which are my headphone of choice when I am outside the home.

I was thinking about upgrading to the HD 598 or the HD 600, but I am going to wait a while and enjoy these wonderfully rich headphones. I love the wide soundstage, the warm, robust mids powerful drums, the sweeping majesty of horn sections and orchestral arrangements, and the great detail. I hear things in movies and songs that I didn't even hear on my Momentums.

I have discovered that putting my amp on high gain and bumping the equalizer to one or two makes the sound harsh and fuzzy rather than improved. It is fantastic with the gain on low and the EQ on zero

I have owned the HD 598, 600, and 650 and currently own the HD 558 and HD 800.

I personally dont think the HD 598 is an upgrade. It's a little lighter and airier sounding than the 558 at the expense of the 558's more authoritative low frequency response. I personally prefer the meatier sound of the HD 558. As for the HD 600, I think the 558 and 600 have a very similar frequency response with the 558 being a little more open and bright while the 600 is less spacious sounding yet a little more refined and smoother. And don't forget that the HD 600 is a 300+ ohm headphone and is more demanding to drive.

If I were you, I'd just keep and enjoy your HD 558. IMO, you aren't going to get any more enjoyment out of the 598 or 600.

May 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #207 of 1,140
Compared it to the HD650 too at the shop. I realized i would miss the airy sound of the modded HD558 i have, so for once my wallet is happy. (though the sound was more natural and refined.)
Only sure way up from here are flagships.

May 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #208 of 1,140
Hi.
Im very happy with this cans, I feel that I hear everything in a song, and i like this sooo much! These cans have 3 hours of burn in and unamped! I can't even imagine how this Senns sound with 100 hours and a fiio e11. I have a little question, the foam mod is good or bad? Why? I listen EDM and Some quiet Songs (Aisha Duo).

Thanks!

May 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #209 of 1,140
After much research I decided to invest in a second pair of good headphones aside from my Grado GS-1000. After reading good reviews on other sites and this one, I settled on the HD558's over Sony MDR-1R. Judging by the posts in this forum, it seems as if I have again made a good choice when it comes to headphones. 

Haven't actually listened to them yet, still waiting for them to arrive in the mail 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm glad I actually researched it and didn't just buy branded expensive headphones(looking at you Beats by Dr.Dre). 

May 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #210 of 1,140
Hi.
Im very happy with this cans, I feel that I hear everything in a song, and i like this sooo much! These cans have 3 hours of burn in and unamped! I can't even imagine how this Senns sound with 100 hours and a fiio e11. I have a little question, the foam mod is good or bad? Why? I listen EDM and Some quiet Songs (Aisha Duo).

Thanks!

Increased soundstage width,airyness and layering, less bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back