Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #841 of 1,140
Hi there, VVCephei,

first of all, congrats on your HD 598's, I also do own a pair, and must say that's a really really good pair of cans.

Regarding your issue, please ensure that 2.5mm plug that goes into the headphones itself is plugged snugly. It may cause some channel problems.

Try to listen to this song at much lower volume, does the rattle still persists?

Can you please share what the song are you playing. I will test is for you, god knows, it can be poorly engineered track..

Although it is sadly, you might consider returning them and consider exchange.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #842 of 1,140
  Hi there, VVCephei,

first of all, congrats on your HD 598's, I also do own a pair, and must say that's a really really good pair of cans.

Regarding your issue, please ensure that 2.5mm plug that goes into the headphones itself is plugged snugly. It may cause some channel problems.

Try to listen to this song at much lower volume, does the rattle still persists?

Can you please share what the song are you playing. I will test is for you, god knows, it can be poorly engineered track..

Although it is sadly, you might consider returning them and consider exchange.

Thanks for your reply.I'm sure that headphones are plugged correctly.The rattle does not exist at lower volume,the minimal rattle starts at around ~70% of volume level on my ALC1150 without any bass boosts,and goes stronger with the volume level.It's not like it's unlistenable,it's just a bit annoying,and lowers experience.I can feel the rattle for example with that song (the first 25 second are the most "rattle-producing")

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #843 of 1,140
Unfortunately for you, my pair reproduce this bass flawlessly and without a single issue (1080p).

How about other bass heavy titles? If this issue persists, the only thing is to RMA your pair.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #844 of 1,140
  Unfortunately for you, my pair reproduce this bass flawlessly and without a single issue (1080p).

How about other bass heavy titles? If this issue persists, the only thing is to RMA your pair.

I've got that rattle with every bassy song.I guess that I have no other choice than using my warranty,I tried pretty much everything I could to fix this by myself.Thanks for your help!

By the way,I've just noticed that it happens in both of earcups.Though it usually goes from only one.I have no idea the hell is going on here.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #845 of 1,140

Thanks for your reply.I'm sure that headphones are plugged correctly.The rattle does not exist at lower volume,the minimal rattle starts at around ~70% of volume level on my ALC1150 without any bass boosts,and goes stronger with the volume level.It's not like it's unlistenable,it's just a bit annoying,and lowers experience.I can feel the rattle for example with that song (the first 25 second are the most "rattle-producing")

To me, it seems likely that you'll just need to simply send in your pair for a replacement. While this song isn't the best-mastered piece (I think there's some distortion), I'm definitely not getting rattling of any sort.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #846 of 1,140

To me, it seems likely that you'll just need to simply send in your pair for a replacement. While this song isn't the best-mastered piece (I think there's some distortion), I'm definitely not getting rattling of any sort.

Yeah,I will send them as fast as I can.Also,maybe it would be a better tester:

I'm getting the rattle at around 50hz,and it goes stronger to 100.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #847 of 1,140
@VVCephei

I see you keep mentioning ALC1150 as if looking for someone to confirm that the problem is due to your onboard audio.
Which motherboard do you have?

I have same codec on my Gigabyte Gaming mobo(it has some flashy pcb separation for audio and headphone amp)
and I can't find anything wrong with it.
So codec per se is fine. It could be the bad motherboard sample, but it's a long shot.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #848 of 1,140
@VVCephei

I see you keep mentioning ALC1150 as if looking for someone to confirm that the problem is due to your onboard audio.
Which motherboard do you have?

I have same codec on my Gigabyte Gaming mobo(it has some flashy pcb separation for audio and headphone amp)
and I can't find anything wrong with it.
So codec per se is fine. It could be the bad motherboard sample, but it's a long shot.

I don't really think that it is the motherboard.It sounds like something is wrong with the in headphones drivers.Especially that I did not experience any rattling on my old headphones using same onboard audio.My motherboard is MSI Mpower Z87

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #850 of 1,140
I am thinking that should be a very decent onboard audio.

Not decent, adequate. Despite numbers on paper, from the reviews and measurements I have read it's nothing more than marketing. Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, they are all guilty of slapping the SoundBlaster brand on their mobos and advertising such things as 'discreet path' and 'isolated circuit' for pure sound. Igor them. If you can afford an extra expense I would suggest either the Creative or ASUS Xonar USB over any built in audio. My 2 cents from a computer builder/mod'r.
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #851 of 1,140
Not decent, adequate. Despite numbers on paper, from the reviews and measurements I have read it's nothing more than marketing. Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, they are all guilty of slapping the SoundBlaster brand on their mobos and advertising such things as 'discreet path' and 'isolated circuit' for pure sound. Igor them. If you can afford an extra expense I would suggest either the Creative or ASUS Xonar USB over any built in audio. My 2 cents from a computer builder/mod'r.
:beerchug:

Yeah I am aware that much of it is misleading marketing, but then again:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

I resolved this dilemma for myself by ordering SD-793II DAC/headphone amp, but with confirmation bias being strong within audio circles,
I'd love to see measurement tests (or ABX) done on modern onboard audio.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #852 of 1,140

beerchug.gif

Yeah,as I said earlier,I'm planning on buying an amp in the future.I really like the SBX Pro Studio feature though :D

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #853 of 1,140
Well I don't have ALC1150 on my board so I can't speak to that, but my FUBAR IV Plus is definitely better than the ALC892 on my mobo. Although I do think that for the common user, the ALC series of audio chips are actually decent, not just adequate. They're only adequate in more audio fidelity kinda circles, but for the normal user, I was impressed. Onboard audio used to sound really bad haha. If I was using budget headphones (Superlux HD668B for example) and I hadn't bought a standalone DAC/amp solution, I'd be very tempted to just run with today's onboard audio chips.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #854 of 1,140
Ordered this cable and now everything is backup and running smoothly without a long ass cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=560215640800&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  only took a week to deliver from China to the United States too.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back