Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #871 of 1,140
Agreed, I'd hate to go a long stretch without my music. Too bad your motherboard amp doesn't have enough power (quality's a different matter). 518s aren't all that hard to drive. I've got the 558s and my motherboard drives it just fine. My iPod touch even drives it just fine. Though I usually don't plug cans into my iPod, I prefer IEM on the go lol.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #872 of 1,140
Received my HD558s yesterday. Loving  them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #873 of 1,140
Hello everyone! Not so long ago I have received a custom-made pure silver HD 598 replacement cable from latvian cable artisan Konstantin and I loved every bit of it since after that. As it turned out, it was an exquisite purchase. It is time for my review, I reckon, so have a great read.

First things first, I would like to point out that included carrying pouch is superb addition as it was unexpected surprise to me. Very touched! It adds that super quality feel to overall product experience and I am glad I do have ability to transport my cable securely.

Regarding build quality and aesthetics, cable is made exceptionally well and after examined it having in hands, I don't have any grips or cons whatsoever.
 Images just don't do it justice! Braiding is made very thoughtfully, from corner to corner. Whereas cable can be not-so-flexible and sometimes even stubborn (hey, I think stiffness is easily acceptable for such unique, extraordinary ten-stranded braiding), cable feels very solid and sturdy. It also looks crazy expensive, beautiful, clean and minimalistic. I am serious talking cord draws attention even more than headphones itself. ViaBlue termination plug is also neat. It is stylish, very compact and seems to be made of some sort of quality plastic. Hey, I guess beauty is in simplicity indeed, so I want every cable in my future system look and feel like this!

Well, before jumping into sonic observations, I must admire that I haven't fully burned cable yet, but difference is apparent to me right away. It just nice to know that everything I enjoyed so much will improve even further! After some quality time of careful and critical listening to tracks I am very familiar with, I immediately noticed vastly improved layering, transparency, extension, feeling of ambiance and micro detailing. As pretty usual in audio world, I was kinda satisfied and did not requested for more while using stock cable, everything is looking fine, but then the magic happens, veil you haven't noticed lifts.. and game jumps in another league.

Instruments started to sound a lot more rich, detailed, natural, extended and most importantly, articulated. I am hearing things more cleanly and with greater PRaT. Generally speaking, sonic layers separated from each other and it is now possible to easily pick up individual layers, instruments, secondary vocals and listen to nuances simply not heard before. Music breathes more air, it does sound more open, braver and almost effortlessly. While listening to Amber Rubarth's 
Sessions From The 17th Ward I can easily feel strong Hirsch Center's ambiance and experience her stellar vocal extension. Although I haven't noticed big difference in already-great soundstage of HD 598, scene presentation sounds just a little bit more realistic, filled, convincing and accurate. Another example would be Bryan Adam's Here I Am live performance when raving crowd can be exactly pinpointed, as it should be, it sounds much more further and hell, so realistic, so holographic. It should be experienced individually to fully get what I am babbling about. Big improvements in speed has also contributed to rendition of complex, congested passages (rock, I look at you) more fluidly, modestly, more accurate -- thing that is Achilles' heel of entire HD 500 lineup.

Reproducing of vocals are also big story regarding this cable. Vocal-centric pieces sounds absolutely unbelievably, so pleasing and heaven-like. It can nearly brought to tears. Vocals started to carry much more emotional energy and sound more bodied, more intimate compared to stock. Micro detailing, articulation, more apparent vocalist image, emotions, breaches and extension of vocals, especially woman-ones is something to die for. No kidding. No more rolled off and/or muffled words. Appreciation of lyrics, of sung story and much greater insight into music flow is what I am experiencing right now. It is now much harder listen to music on background while doing something while using silver cable; you are just forced to relax, close your eyes and get lost in experience this enjoyable.

Last but not least, silver brought excitement of details on the table. Very big amounts of details, though. I am stunned how many things I was missing before, on tracks I am listening for a very very long time. All the ticks, tacks, mastering imperfections and Easter eggs can be catched if, of course, listening to critically. To evaluate the full beauty of this cable you just really must devote your time and soul.

It can be comical and unbelievable, but the most remarkable thing about all these observations is that I am running my headphones off crappy laptops on-board audio. I see big future and unbelievable scaling for Ag and HD 598 combo.

In conclusion, I always was open-minded cable guy, loving and 
naively believing in snake oil. To stop believing and start experiencing, I pulled the trigger on this amazing and unique cable. I must confess, I wasn't fully confident I will hear an improvement, especially straight from laptop. I was scared it will be just nice and expensive wire upgrade, however boy! how wrong my thoughts was. I was happy re-listening mine entire collection and collecting all this freshly appeared sonic gems. This was so touching and pleasing for me to be witness of cable really making such a difference. It is no way fairytale, this is a real thing and only beginning of my journey. I have really, soberly experienced it, heard and most importantly, felt it! And it doesn't matter now whether or not it is measurable. Pull the trigger, dead reader, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you very much for business, Konstantin, take care.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #874 of 1,140
Thanks for the cable review! Seems like a nice cable. Not my specific cup of tea, but a good review nevertheless. I just never felt a cable upgrade to be practical enough price-wise. At the price of a cable that actually makes a noticeable difference in SQ, you're most of the way to a set of cans that's a step up and I'd rather just get the next level cans over cheaper cans and new cables. But to each their own
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #875 of 1,140
  Thanks for the cable review! Seems like a nice cable. Not my specific cup of tea, but a good review nevertheless. I just never felt a cable upgrade to be practical enough price-wise. At the price of a cable that actually makes a noticeable difference in SQ, you're most of the way to a set of cans that's a step up and I'd rather just get the next level cans over cheaper cans and new cables. But to each their own
biggrin.gif

Thanks for response! I completely get your point and agree with it. The thing is, for me personally, HD 598's will be keeper for a good year or even more, so why not risk a bit and invest in them? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #876 of 1,140

Thanks for response! I completely get your point and agree with it. The thing is, for me personally, HD 598's will be keeper for a good year or even more, so why not risk a bit and invest in them? 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, for the long term it might not be a bad idea. I just decided I'd rather get a higher set in the same range or just a completely different headphone altogether. In fact, I bought a set of HD600s. Boy I'm really enjoying these things haha. I didn't fully browse Konstantin's selection or look at his prices, but how much was the cable you bought? Somewhere within about $80 or less? Plus about $160 for the HD598s, it's still a solid set. My used (though pretty much brand new) HD600s were a bit more than $250 shipped so I'm really happy with them.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #877 of 1,140

Yeah, for the long term it might not be a bad idea. I just decided I'd rather get a higher set in the same range or just a completely different headphone altogether. In fact, I bought a set of HD600s. Boy I'm really enjoying these things haha. I didn't fully browse Konstantin's selection or look at his prices, but how much was the cable you bought? Somewhere within about $80 or less? Plus about $160 for the HD598s, it's still a solid set. My used (though pretty much brand new) HD600s were a bit more than $250 shipped so I'm really happy with them.

I know, 598 are my first serious pair of headphones and I am already spending a fortune on boutique cables. It's crazy, to say at least, but I am passionate cabling. It gives me peace of mind, then I am sure my signal is really unaltered and clean as possible. 
biggrin.gif
 80 bucks for pure silver cable with multiple conductors? Sorry, I do not know such prices, my custom-made cable cost me 150€ shipped. You can check out Konstanin's craftmanship here: http://stores.ebay.com/lavricables.

Could you briefly compare 558 vs 600 for me?

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #878 of 1,140

I know, 598 are my first serious pair of headphones and I am already spending a fortune on boutique cables. It's crazy, to say at least, but I am passionate cabling. It gives me peace of mind, then I am sure my signal is really unaltered and clean as possible. 
biggrin.gif
 80 bucks for pure silver cable with multiple conductors? Sorry, I do not know such prices, my custom-made cable cost me 150€ shipped. You can check out Konstanin's craftmanship here: http://stores.ebay.com/lavricables.

Could you briefly compare 558 vs 600 for me?

Good point, pure silver's pretty pricey haha. Yeah, I can give ya a quick and dirty breakdown. They're actually very similar. The 600s are more clear and detailed, with a slightly larger soundstage and more balanced sound signature. The bass is more refined. The 558s are warmer, but still quite accurate and very enjoyable. HD600s look nicer and are built better. I like the 600s more, but still use my 558s every weekend. Still great headphones.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #879 of 1,140

Good point, pure silver's pretty pricey haha. Yeah, I can give ya a quick and dirty breakdown. They're actually very similar. The 600s are more clear and detailed, with a slightly larger soundstage and more balanced sound signature. The bass is more refined. The 558s are warmer, but still quite accurate and very enjoyable. HD600s look nicer and are built better. I like the 600s more, but still use my 558s every weekend. Still great headphones.

Fair enough. Thanks!
I guess I skip over 600 series and my next big thing will be either HD 700 or HD 800. In the non-foreseeable future, though. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #880 of 1,140

Fair enough. Thanks!
I guess I skip over 600 series and my next big thing will be either HD 700 or HD 800. In the non-foreseeable future, though. 
biggrin.gif

Haha, right with ya. Though from what I've been hearing, you might wanna take a shot at the HD800 instead of HD700. Seems like it's the better choice. Or, since you've gotten an idea of the Sennheiser sound, try out some of the other high-end sets. In my equally unforeseeable future, I'd love to get a run at a HiFiMan or Beyerdynamic's high-end sets, like maybe a HE560 or a T1 or T90.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #881 of 1,140

Haha, right with ya. Though from what I've been hearing, you might wanna take a shot at the HD800 instead of HD700. Seems like it's the better choice. Or, since you've gotten an idea of the Sennheiser sound, try out some of the other high-end sets. In my equally unforeseeable future, I'd love to get a run at a HiFiMan or Beyerdynamic's high-end sets, like maybe a HE560 or a T1 or T90.

Sure, 800 seems to be much logical and overall more advanced candidate, doing bigger jump further and saving funds later, although they are picky as hell. If I won't drive them well, they will simply not deliver. From what I've heard, 700 would be warmer and friendlier upgrade. Just like 598 on heavy steroids. I know there are others brands in the wild as well, but I will dig Sennheiser's for upgradeable cabling, better design (it's relative), much better comfort (learned from reviews). Comfort is crucial for reaching transparency in listening. That is my opinion at this current moment, at least. Of course I am interested in orthos. Dynamics are kinda limited, I do feel this..
I am quite enjoying our discussion! And I love talking future gear plans. What's yours? 
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #882 of 1,140

Sure, 800 seems to be much logical and overall more advanced candidate, doing bigger jump further and saving funds later, although they are picky as hell. If I won't drive them well, they will simply not deliver. From what I've heard, 700 would be warmer and friendlier upgrade. Just like 598 on heavy steroids. I know there are others brands in the wild as well, but I will dig Sennheiser's for upgradeable cabling, better design (it's relative), much better comfort (learned from reviews). Comfort is crucial for reaching transparency in listening. That is my opinion at this current moment, at least. Of course I am interested in orthos. Dynamics are kinda limited, I do feel this..
I am quite enjoying our discussion! And I love talking future gear plans. What's yours? 
beerchug.gif

As am I!
beerchug.gif
Sennheisers make the most sense to me for comfort as well. They're oval, which fits better around the ear. Plus, all their high end sets from the HD600 and up use velour pads, which are my choice for padding. Leather just isn't my thing after a a really old set of cans I had. Too hot and sweaty. I'd probably need to update my current DAC/Amp setup before going for any nicer cans. The HiFiMans might be what I'd like to go for first. They're the "cheapest" haha. But as far as dynamics go, Sennheisers are one of the best.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #883 of 1,140

As am I!
beerchug.gif
Sennheisers make the most sense to me for comfort as well. They're oval, which fits better around the ear. Plus, all their high end sets from the HD600 and up use velour pads, which are my choice for padding. Leather just isn't my thing after a a really old set of cans I had. Too hot and sweaty. I'd probably need to update my current DAC/Amp setup before going for any nicer cans. The HiFiMans might be what I'd like to go for first. They're the "cheapest" haha. But as far as dynamics go, Sennheisers are one of the best.

Sounds great! Definitely keep us up to date, as I will too. Regarding my plans, now I am saving up for iFi iDAC, this thing looks very promising to me. Finally I will able to elevate my recabled 598's performance.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #884 of 1,140
I've had the 558 for several weeks now and it's truly the most immersive headphone I've ever owned so far. Absolutely love it. The vocals have a smooth warmness and the sound stage is phenomenally fun.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #885 of 1,140
I'm thinking of buying the HD518 or HD558 for movies, plugged into my A/ receiver. Which one would be better for movies? Is either one more comfortable, or have more ear space and depth? Do they both have large soundstages? Thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back