Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Sep 18, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,036 of 1,140

It's been years since the HD598 had any cracking issues; Sennheiser was very quick to fix the issue.

I actually started my HD598 journey with my Yamaha receiver and can tell you that they sound fantastic!

Don't worry about the bass, they have a great response, especially with a receiver. While they are not for bass-heads, they are not lacking.

I mostly use my HD598 for gaming and can honestly say I have sold my Sennheiser PC350 because they just couldn't compare. For Jazz, piano, classical, and rock (not metal or hardcore), and especially electronica, they sound fantastic!

beerchug.gif

Thank you so much for your fast reply! 

I live in Romania, and here the price of 558 is 174 euro, and for 598 it is 208 euro. Would you say the 598 is worth the difference?

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,037 of 1,140

Thank you so much for your fast reply! 

I live in Romania, and here the price of 558 is 174 euro, and for 598 it is 208 euro. Would you say the 598 is worth the difference?

It's debatable as both are really close in overall sound signature. In my opinion the leatherette headband and pad and the wood accents are worth the added price. I was set to buy a pair of HD558 after hearing a mod'd pair I borrowed until the sale fell through and as luck would have it a pair of HD598 were for sale and can honestly say I have no regrets. It really depends on what you are willing to spend.

beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #1,039 of 1,140
  I have one more question: what do you think of AKG K-612 Pro? I found them here like 25 euro cheaper than hd598. 

If my memory serves me correctly, pretty good sound but weaker and less impactful bass. I found them to be a tad dry sounding as well. DEFINITELY needs an amp to get the most of the AKGs (or any higher end for that matter).

beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,041 of 1,140
Removed the cloth on my HD558's. Cleared up the top end quite noticeably. The highs are more present now. Almost up there with the HD600 IIRC. Haven't heard the HD600's in a few months so not too sure. 

Much better from stock. Foam mod was done a while back as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,042 of 1,140
Anyone have any tips on how to clean the 598? I've had them for a couple years now and they're starting to get a tad grody. I've used soap water and carefully cleaned aroudn the ears but there's still some dirt that makes the headphones look not nearly as nice as they used to. I've ordered a new leather pad for the headpad since mine is all dried out now but wanted some advice regardless.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,043 of 1,140
Any idea where i can get replacement drivers for the 598's?

The left channel on mine has some "rattling" when theres something very bassy going on, but the right side does not.

Im using a sound blaster Z to drive them

Also, i live in denmark, so somewhere here that would sell the part, or ships here cheap would be great :\

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,044 of 1,140
  Any idea where i can get replacement drivers for the 598's?

The left channel on mine has some "rattling" when theres something very bassy going on, but the right side does not.

Im using a sound blaster Z to drive them

Also, i live in denmark, so somewhere here that would sell the part, or ships here cheap would be great :\

Have you checked the driver to see if any hairs or fuzz is attached to the diaphragm?

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,046 of 1,140
  I have not, I guess i should go have a looksie lol.

Also, i got the phones two years.. 3 months ago.. god damn if theyre broken theyre out of warranty.

Sometimes Sennheiser is really nice with Warranty. It depends on the regional rep (like Apple).

beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,048 of 1,140
are there any mods that will improve the sound quality more. i did the foam mod already

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,049 of 1,140
  are there any mods that will improve the sound quality more. i did the foam mod already

I would say no. Next step better source and or headphone upgrade.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,050 of 1,140
Greetings,

I've bought the HD518 about half a year ago via eBay, because I was fortunate enough for someone to have a horrible typo in his thread so that almost nobody offered for them, and I got them at half the original price.

Generally, I'm very proud of these, as they have an excellent sound quality and also have a ridiculously long cable. However, the comfort could be better.

The biggest problem involves the earpad cushions. They are rather hard in comparison to those that are on the HD558, as I've realized after having a side-by-side comparison in a local media store. Where can I find appropriate replacement cushions for my HD518 to make them softer and more comfortable too?

Another problem problem is that the headband, while not really uncomfortable, leaves a horrible imprint in my hair every time I take off the phones after an extensive time. Headphone hair isn't uncommon, but I feel like it goes one step further with the HD518. I've got quite poofy hair, so from a side profile it looks like someone took a hair trimer and just went over it once, and it usually stays like that for an hour before fully recovering. Before I had these headphones I always had some cheapo ones, but despite the lacking audio quality they never did that with my hair. Are there any softer replacement parts for the headband too?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back