Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Nov 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,052 of 1,140
Guess my wording wasn't clear. I wanted to know, where do I get softer replacement cushions? Preferably not the ones you linked there, because despite being tagged as "genuine" I wasn't going to spend over 30 bucks for cushions.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,054 of 1,140
Can I use HM5 pads on the HD598SE's? Will they fit comfortably? Are they hard to get on?

Thanks in advance

First of all, I don't know why you would want to.  The 598s pads are nice, comfortable and spacious.

I have a pair of HM5 pads (well, one. I tore one trying em on different HPs) so I tried putting it on my 598s.

It was tough.  I didn't even get it all the way on and gave up. It looked bad too.  And I'm sure they would alter the sound.. most likely in a negative way. 

I wouldn't bother.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,055 of 1,140
Hello to all, i just got my HD518 as my first pair of headphones, quite excited actually.  I was wondering if there's a step-by-step guide to open them up, i really wanna take out the twist tab thing so i can use any 2.5mm cable.

thanks guys!

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,056 of 1,140
I have made my first plunge into headphones, getting myself a HD598 over the black friday deals.
My current setup is just bookshelf speakers + sub + a dac that can only do xlr + rca, i have no means of having an output for these headphones besides sucky motherboard onboard audio out.

so what dac/amp should i look at ? hopefully somewhere around a $100-$150 price range.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,057 of 1,140
  I have made my first plunge into headphones, getting myself a HD598 over the black friday deals.
My current setup is just bookshelf speakers + sub + a dac that can only do xlr + rca, i have no means of having an output for these headphones besides sucky motherboard onboard audio out.

so what dac/amp should i look at ? hopefully somewhere around a $100-$150 price range.

Congrats on your purchase!
My recommendation is the Audioengine D1/D3. Uses the same technology as the entry level Schiit stack, but costs less and available in a lot of local stores. Plus the build quality is very high!

beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,058 of 1,140
  Hello to all, i just got my HD518 as my first pair of headphones, quite excited actually.  I was wondering if there's a step-by-step guide to open them up, i really wanna take out the twist tab thing so i can use any 2.5mm cable.

thanks guys!

I don't know if that can actually be taken out. I feel like you'd need to replace the entire female jack in order to get what you want since the locking mechanism appears to be built into the frame. Did you have a specific cable in mind or something? Or did you just want a shorter cable? Because I'm using one on my HD558 that's pretty nice and not that expensive (by which I mean under $15). Downside is that cable ships from China so it takes a while.

What's your speaker setup look like? In terms of connections and all that. Cuz for example, my setup is computer to DAC by optical cable, then DAC to amp by RCA, then out to my headphones or banana plugs out of the amp to powered sub where speaker level out goes to the bookshelf speakers. Knowing what connections are needed is important to your choice since you aren't just thinking about headphones I assume. However, if you are only looking to get something just for the headphones and don't need to include the speakers and sub, then I do also here the Audioengine products @Bansaku recommended are good ones. The Audioquest Dragonfly is also pretty good, which I believe has an MSRP of $150, but can be found on sale. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could get in your budget. In case you're wondering, I'm using a cheapo (relatively speaking since audio equipment can get quite expensive) DAC/amp solution: Topping D20 DAC wtih Topping TP30mkII amp. At retail prices, you'd only be able to get the TP30mkII amp from my setup, which does also have a DAC taking USB input. I just like the D20 DAC better.

Even if your setup looks a little like mine, someone can probably recommend a suitable option with better performance and value than my setup. I just happened to get my setup super cheap (the D20 and TP30mkII cost me a total of like $80, which wouldn't be able to get either of them at today's retail prices). So considering this duo can send music to my ears through my headphones or speaker setup, I'm pretty happy with it, even though it's nowhere near best in performance; still does respectably in my opinion.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,059 of 1,140
  I don't know if that can actually be taken out. I feel like you'd need to replace the entire female jack in order to get what you want since the locking mechanism appears to be built into the frame. Did you have a specific cable in mind or something? Or did you just want a shorter cable? Because I'm using one on my HD558 that's pretty nice and not that expensive (by which I mean under $15). Downside is that cable ships from China so it takes a while.
n performance; still does respectably in my opinion.

It's possible.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601873/sennheiser-hd558-cable

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,060 of 1,140

I absolutely think they do. I tried it and thought the treble was overbearing and it hurt my ears. I ended up putting the tape piece back in. Perfect sound. :)

As far as a DAC I'm using Geek Out 450 but am looking to upgrade to Geek Out V2 or Meridian Explorer2 in the future. I can highly recommend the 450 with the 558s which to my understanding are fairly similar to the 598s. (Again, I only did the 558 mod, so maybe my impressions/advice aren't the most reliable?)

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,061 of 1,140
  It's possible.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601873/sennheiser-hd558-cable

Ah, so it is just a piece tacked on and not molded in there. Good to know. Looks like you found your solution. I think all you need to do is take off the earpads basically to just get to that exposed part with the PCB right? People who have modded this would know, I didn't so I'm a complete idiot when it comes to taking about the headphone.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,062 of 1,140

Congrats on your purchase!
My recommendation is the Audioengine D1/D3. Uses the same technology as the entry level Schiit stack, but costs less and available in a lot of local stores. Plus the build quality is very high!

beerchug.gif

thanks will take them into consideration.

What's your speaker setup look like? In terms of connections and all that. Cuz for example, my setup is computer to DAC by optical cable, then DAC to amp by RCA, then out to my headphones or banana plugs out of the amp to powered sub where speaker level out goes to the bookshelf speakers. Knowing what connections are needed is important to your choice since you aren't just thinking about headphones I assume. However, if you are only looking to get something just for the headphones and don't need to include the speakers and sub, then I do also here the Audioengine products @Bansaku recommended are good ones. The Audioquest Dragonfly is also pretty good, which I believe has an MSRP of $150, but can be found on sale. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could get in your budget. In case you're wondering, I'm using a cheapo (relatively speaking since audio equipment can get quite expensive) DAC/amp solution: Topping D20 DAC wtih Topping TP30mkII amp. At retail prices, you'd only be able to get the TP30mkII amp from my setup, which does also have a DAC taking USB input. I just like the D20 DAC better.

Even if your setup looks a little like mine, someone can probably recommend a suitable option with better performance and value than my setup. I just happened to get my setup super cheap (the D20 and TP30mkII cost me a total of like $80, which wouldn't be able to get either of them at today's retail prices). So considering this duo can send music to my ears through my headphones or speaker setup, I'm pretty happy with it, even though it's nowhere near best in performance; still does respectably in my opinion.

hmm
my speaker setup is
computer to DAC (Calyx 24/192)  via  USB cables.
DAC to speakers (Adam A3X + Velodyne Sub) via XLR for speakers and RCA to SUB.
as the speakers are active speakers, i didnt need an amp to power up my speakers so dac is all i needed.

The dac/amp that i looking for wont be a replacement but rather just an alternative when i need to use my headphones, in situations when my girlfriend is asleep in the room and i will still like to enjoy some music goodness.

I suppose i should go down the route of second hand dac/amps so i can get better performance for cost? How do you find your current topping set up with ur senheissers?

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,063 of 1,140
If you want a DAC/Headphone amp for the '598s without spending much money, buy  a Schiit Modi and Magni and enjoy.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,064 of 1,140

thanks will take them into consideration.
hmm
my speaker setup is
computer to DAC (Calyx 24/192)  via  USB cables.
DAC to speakers (Adam A3X + Velodyne Sub) via XLR for speakers and RCA to SUB.
as the speakers are active speakers, i didnt need an amp to power up my speakers so dac is all i needed.

The dac/amp that i looking for wont be a replacement but rather just an alternative when i need to use my headphones, in situations when my girlfriend is asleep in the room and i will still like to enjoy some music goodness.

I suppose i should go down the route of second hand dac/amps so i can get better performance for cost? How do you find your current topping set up with ur senheissers?

Your DAC can outptut to both the XLR and RCA at the same time? Hmm, didn't know you could do that, but I've never dabbled with that before. Velodyne sub, I hear those are good. So I assume your plan is to simply switch to a different device output in your OS whenever you feel like to change between headphones and speakers? Cuz if that's the case, then you'll just need something capable of being a headphone amp and that's it. The stuff mentioned before would be good choices. The Audioengine D1/D3 (haven't heard it, but said to be good) is in your price range and so is the Audioquest Dragonfly (heard this one, it's good, best to get on sale and not at MSRP, which I think is $150).

Yes you can browse around the FS/FT forums for used DAC/amps. These things are pretty reliable in my opinion, don't often hear people say "my headphone amp died, I need a new one". "My headphones died" is a much more common thing haha. @crazychile mentioned the Schiit Modi/Magni stack which is a good setup by all accounts; it's just barely out of your budget brand new, but you can probably find it in your budget used. Used will net you best bang for buck New means it might be shinier at best, used could potentially give the same result. Most times used stuff around here looks nearly brand new save for a couple scuffs here and there so I see no reason not to get something used here in the forums.

At one point I was looking on eBay and happened to come across a super cheap TP30mkII. I ended up being the highest bid at less than $40 and while it's on arguably average value for retail price, it's a great deal for less than $40. At the same time I also saw a combo sale on eBay for a used TP30mkI and D20. Nabbed that for $90 and sold the TP30mkI to a friend. Hence, I ended up with a D20 and TP30mkII pairing for under $100. Considering I got a dedicated DAC with many input options and a decent (enough) amp with speaker wire outputs for less than $100, I'd say I've done fairly well
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,065 of 1,140
Apologies if this has been asked before. Is it possible to bend the headband on the 598's to relieve the clamp a little?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back