Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Jul 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #31 of 380
Can you proove that or is it just something you think? I doubt Sennheiser would build a 200 dollar headphone and put in sub standard cables.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 380
Quote:
Can you proove that or is it just something you think? I doubt Sennheiser would build a 200 dollar headphone and put in sub standard cables.

They use a steel cable because it's supposed to be more robust. Newsflash: The HD25 is not about sound. It was developed 25 years ago as a monitoring tool for broadcast

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 380
Well good to hear that pros don't need sound quality. I stand by my statement: The steel cable doesn't sound any different than any other cable.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #34 of 380
Quote:
Well good to hear that pros don't need sound quality. I stand by my statement: The steel cable doesn't sound any different than any other cable.

You obviously haven't worked in broadcast before. For these kind of monitoring purposes you don't need sound quality. The HD-25 isn't a great headphone to begin with and much lesser headphones would do the job just as well.
About the cable: I've proven the difference in a blindtest to myself, that's all i need to know.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #35 of 380
While I have actually worked in a studio as well as in a live show doing sound monitoring I guess I just have tin ears. 25 sounds fine to me, a bit rolled of in the highs but certainly good headphones.

I also cannot hear the (measurable) 0.0024 dB high roll off between steel and copper.

You seem to be the only person that has heard differences in adbt so I presume your test was done incorrectly.

I also don't understand why you come in a 25 thread just to whine about cables and tell people the 25 "isn't a great headphone to begin with".

We can agree to disagree?

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 380
As soon as I can get my hands on the replacement parts I will anodize the cups and joints a nice flat black.

I also like the fact that the headband now doesn't say Sennheiser on both parts of the split. That always was something I didn't understand, Senn could even have saved some cents if they only label one of the headband parts. :)

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #37 of 380
Very nice looking headphones... I've been a big fan of the 25s (ended up buying 4 in total for myself and 3 gifts), and I've enjoyed the Amperior as well (except that it's blue-- need a decent color option here, Sennies!), but I've got to say that HD-26 looks pretty intriguing to me. Off to do some research... 
size]

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #38 of 380
ev13wt : I think bizkid and I were slightly misunderstood. We are not trying to tell people HD25 isn't a great headphone to begin with, which I actually disagree (if someone were to say that ) and think that the HD25 at its price range is a heavy hitter. We just agreed that a cable change might help, something subjective, and something that I wish would not be a debate here as its not on the right topic.

Anyways. Are those spare parts for the Aluminiums going to be for sale at all? That's what i'm interested in

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #39 of 380
Don't get me wrong, I love aftermarket cables. They look and feel awesome. But I agree this is not the place for a cable discussion.

Feel free to join in here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608828/dilemma-should-i-not-believe-any-reviewers-who-talk-about-cables-or-just-ignore-that-section-of-their-review

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #40 of 380
Let's get back to the HD25. The reason i don't like the HD25 for music is it's soundstage. I have owned 3 pairs of HD25 during the years. The headphone itself is attractive, everything is user replacable, it's tough and made to last and very portable. But in the end, the soundstage gives me a claustrophobic feeling. The HD25 has basically no soundstage to speak of. No depth, no layering, width is boreline tolerable for a closed headphone. The Problem is today, others do it much better: ES-7,ES-10,ES-700, ESW-9, ESW10jpn just to name a few. Those are built with even less room between the ear, driver and the cup and still they all offer a pretty respectable soundstage and imaging for a closed portable headphone. I was hoping they would give the Amperior a bit more room and air but they didn't.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #41 of 380
Quote:
As soon as I can get my hands on the replacement parts I will anodize the cups and joints a nice flat black.

I also like the fact that the headband now doesn't say Sennheiser on both parts of the split. That always was something I didn't understand, Senn could even have saved some cents if they only label one of the headband parts.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did this to my Amperior and it looks fantastic. I'm not a fan of either of the colors that the Amperior came in....

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #43 of 380
Got no portable headphone I like atm so this looks very interesting, only bad thing is that aluminium looks really bad if it gets scratches. Worked alot with alu/and glass, usually the best is deep painted alu so scratches dont go trough. Still it looks nice in alu same as the silver Amperior. How good are this while you are running? I guess good since they have much clamp force.

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 380
Got no portable headphone I like atm so this looks very interesting, only bad thing is that aluminium looks really bad if it gets scratches. Worked alot with alu/and glass, usually the best is deep painted alu so scratches dont go trough. Still it looks nice in alu same as the silver Amperior. How good are this while you are running? I guess good since they have much clamp force.

Plastic also can get scratched up. For running, I think they will stay on your head because of the split headband as well. Clamping force is not that high for me. They are also pretty light.

I wouldn't run with them through. Sealed headphones (like ieams) always give me a bass thump when even walking with them. Get some apple earbuds and a sweatband.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #45 of 380
The Amperior and HD 25 Aluminium target different audiences. The former, with an impedance of 18 Ω makes it easier to drive and achieve a similar sound impression as the original HD 25s, making it ideal for portable listening. It even comes with a detachable smart remote with in-line mic.

The HD 25 Aluminium, on the other hand, is really a tool for the DJ & monitoring environment. It has the same impedance (70 Ω) like the original HD 25s and as reviews have shown, the metal earcups minimize the resonances in the audible range.

Both products were designed for different primary use cases by different target users. I wouldn't say the Amperior has an better sound as compared to the HD 25s or its Aluminium variant.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Rosmadi:

The primary sound difference between the Amperior and the HD-25 25th Anniversary Edition (hereinafter defined as "25AE") seems to be the driver.  

Other than the Amperior's being easy to drive (and woefully loud -- on my iPod 5G, there's no such thing as headroom, since you can still hear music at the lowest setting), what are the other differences?  Are there significant sound differences between the 25AE and the Amperior?

What's mildly amusing is this: the Amperior was said to be an improved-sounding version of the HD-25, but the 25AE is being marketed as returning to the same high-quality sound of the original HD 25-II ("70 ohm pro drivers"!) but with the benefit of the aluminum cups.  

Which is it -- is the Amperior's driver better than the 25AE's or worse?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back