Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #46 of 380
Just a bit of fun... Here is a video of them being dismantled whilst suspended from the ceiling - totally pointless but shows how easily user serviceable they are

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #47 of 380
Quote:
The Amperior and HD 25 Aluminium target different audiences. The former, with an impedance of 18 Ω makes it easier to drive and achieve a similar sound impression as the original HD 25s, making it ideal for portable listening. It even comes with a detachable smart remote with in-line mic.

The HD 25 Aluminium, on the other hand, is really a tool for the DJ & monitoring environment. It has the same impedance (70 Ω) like the original HD 25s and as reviews have shown, the metal earcups minimize the resonances in the audible range.

Both products were designed for different primary use cases by different target users. I wouldn't say the Amperior has an better sound as compared to the HD 25s or its Aluminium variant.
wink_face.gif

Rosmadi:  Let me be a tad more specific and a bit less confrontational.  In your opinion, which driver produces higher quality sound, the HD 25 Aluminium's or the Amperior's?  This is a rather straightforward question and your answer could facilitate my making a specific decision.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #48 of 380
Quote:
Rosmadi:  Let me be a tad more specific and a bit less confrontational.  In your opinion, which driver produces higher quality sound, the HD 25 Aluminium's or the Amperior's?  This is a rather straightforward question and your answer could facilitate my making a specific decision.

You can't ask him that... It is probably like asking a father which of his children he loves more :wink:
Like many audio questions it is probably quite subjective and dependant on the equipment you are using - as mentioned before they are aimed at different markets the amperior is easier to drive with the 18ohm drivers so is great for portable use where as a lot of pro kit prefers a higher impedance which is where the 70ohm aluminiums will come into their own. Sound wise .... they are both good and peoples preferences are often different like with the HD600 and HD650 - if you ask a HD600 owner which is best he will say the HD600 wins hands down where as a HD650 owner would probably say the 650 is the superior model.

The best thing to do is see if you can lay your hands on a pair at a local retailer and try them for your self but in general if you are using them unamped with an ipod or pmp then the amperior is probably the best option where as the HD25 aluminium are more of a pro tool with the stronger steel cable and higher impedance drivers

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #50 of 380
Quote:

You can't ask him that... It is probably like asking a father which of his children he loves more :wink:
Like many audio questions it is probably quite subjective and dependant on the equipment you are using - as mentioned before they are aimed at different markets the amperior is easier to drive with the 18ohm drivers so is great for portable use where as a lot of pro kit prefers a higher impedance which is where the 70ohm aluminiums will come into their own. Sound wise .... they are both good and peoples preferences are often different like with the HD600 and HD650 - if you ask a HD600 owner which is best he will say the HD600 wins hands down where as a HD650 owner would probably say the 650 is the superior model.

The best thing to do is see if you can lay your hands on a pair at a local retailer and try them for your self but in general if you are using them unamped with an ipod or pmp then the amperior is probably the best option where as the HD25 aluminium are more of a pro tool with the stronger steel cable and higher impedance drivers

Oh, I think I can ask, JFunk (with all due respect).  The user must be allowed to show the moxie to question what marketing hype would camouflage. 

If the answer is that the larger driver is better able to represent the FR overall and is ultimately more accurate but needs more power, then that's a factual response. 

If the answer is that both drivers are equally capable but are merely made for different levels of amplification, then that would be helpful to know. 

What exactly is the user sacrificing with each model -- in terms of accuracy, not taste? 

We haven't had the opportunity to compare graphs between the two models yet.  Until we do, I'd like to know the truth. 

Both headphones are excellent -- of that I have little doubt -- but we're going to be hearing that the Amperior is the dilettante's version of a DJ headphone for as long as hype begets users who fancy the idea that correct equipment = forum credibility.  Truth can go a long way toward dispelling unnecessary attitude with palpable differences.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #51 of 380
Quote:
Oh, I think I can ask, JFunk (with all due respect).  The user must be allowed to show the moxie to question what marketing hype would camouflage. 

LOL - You are probably right and I would love to know the opinion of a few of the golden eared testers on here. Unfortunately I have not been able to have a proper play with the amperiors so have not been able to honestly compare the two - I have heard the two separately and personally I thought the aluminiums sounded punchier but they were both on different setups.
I will ask sennheiser UK really nicely and see if I can get my hands on some amperiors ( I believe they may have some open box stock left ) and then I can send them to an independent tester for comparison.
It is not only the drivers that are different - The amperiors have a copper cable and the aluminums have a steel one - I know some people are not cable believers but I have done a blind test with quite a few people comparing the steel cable and an SPC one on some HD25s and nearly everyone could spot the difference. So if I can get hold of them I will send some extra cables so they can do an A / B and then another test with the same cable on both

Wish me luck

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #52 of 380
Quote:
LOL - You are probably right and I would love to know the opinion of a few of the golden eared testers on here. Unfortunately I have not been able to have a proper play with the amperiors so have not been able to honestly compare the two - I have heard the two separately and personally I thought the aluminiums sounded punchier but they were both on different setups.
I will ask sennheiser UK really nicely and see if I can get my hands on some amperiors ( I believe they may have some open box stock left ) and then I can send them to an independent tester for comparison.
It is not only the drivers that are different - The amperiors have a copper cable and the aluminums have a steel one - I know some people are not cable believers but I have done a blind test with quite a few people comparing the steel cable and an SPC one on some HD25s and nearly everyone could spot the difference. So if I can get hold of them I will send some extra cables so they can do an A / B and then another test with the same cable on both

Wish me luck

That's an excellent offer on your part, JF -- a commitment of resources and time if Senn UK complies.  Thanks so much!

Crossing my fingers alone won't yield enough luck to wish you, so I'm training a phalanx of Spiny Orb Weavers to knot their legs in unison.  Here's my first volunteer, who's finding the task a tad difficult:

​

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #53 of 380
Quote:
It is not only the drivers that are different - The amperiors have a copper cable and the aluminums have a steel one - I know some people are not cable believers but I have done a blind test with quite a few people comparing the steel cable and an SPC one on some HD25s and nearly everyone could spot the difference.

Count me in, this was very obvious in a blind test. Are you sure the cable on the amperior is copper?
It was a bit unclear reading the review here: http://headfonics.com/2012/11/sennheiser-amperior-the-upgraded-hd25/ wether it's still the steel cable or a copper one.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #54 of 380
Quote:

Count me in, this was very obvious in a blind test. Are you sure the cable on the amperior is copper?
It was a bit unclear reading the review here: http://headfonics.com/2012/11/sennheiser-amperior-the-upgraded-hd25/ wether it's still the steel cable or a copper one.

I was told by a rep that they had copper cables but they did not seem 100% certain - if I manage to get hold of some I will test it - the steel 1.5m cable has a resistance of about 4ohms where as a copper one of the same length is less than 1ohm so it should be easy enough to test without autopsying it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #55 of 380
Right...
I have managed to get my hands on a pair of the Amperiors and will be sending them along with some Aluminiums and some plain HD25s along with a silver cable to SwimSonny from Head-Fi for a proper review / comparrison
http://www.head-fi.org/u/225545/swimsonny

I have also just tried running them through a laser etching machine and it looks like they are ideal for that kind of thing

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #56 of 380
Quote:Originally Posted by jfunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right...
I have managed to get my hands on a pair of the Amperiors and will be sending them along with some Aluminiums and some plain HD25s along with a silver cable to SwimSonny from Head-Fi for a proper review / comparrison
http://www.head-fi.org/u/225545/swimsonny

I have also just tried running them through a laser etching machine and it looks like they are ideal for that kind of thing

What did you think of the Amperior? How did it line up with the HD25 Anniversary from your first listen? 

Isaiah 

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #57 of 380
Quote:

What did you think of the Amperior? How did it line up with the HD25 Anniversary from your first listen? 

Isaiah 

To be honest they are still in the box - I have been so busy this week I have not had a chance to play with them. I will take an amp/dac into the workshop tomorrow and have a good listening session while I am tinkering with stuff and report back

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #59 of 380
Quote:
Are these going to be available in any other colors?  That silver two-tone color scheme is simply abhorrent.  

Isn't that what JFunk's business (Custom Cans) was created in part to correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back