Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #61 of 380
I'm just trying to respect the man who not only sells the 25th anniversary HD-25s but intends to go out of his way to A/B them with the Amperior.  Time is fleeting and he offered to squander some of his for us.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #62 of 380
I am also quite interested to read the comparison, as a happy Amperior user. My wild guess is that the Aluminium will be a tad brighter and will have significantly better damping due to higher impedance. The Amperior is somewhat problematic since it doesn't play well with sources that have a high output impedance.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #63 of 380
Quote:
I am also quite interested to read the comparison, as a happy Amperior user. My wild guess is that the Aluminium will be a tad brighter and will have significantly better damping due to higher impedance. The Amperior is somewhat problematic since it doesn't play well with sources that have a high output impedance.

I'm hoping that the bass is harder hitting and more controlled.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #64 of 380
Quote:
I'm hoping that the bass is harder hitting and more controlled.

What amp are you using with the amperior? I find the bass to be very controlled when driving the Amperior from a low output impedance amp but with amps that have an output impedance above around 2 Ohms, the bass becomes poorly damped and loses control. I also don't really have any complaints with how hard hitting it is.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #65 of 380
They are probably delayed in the USA because they'll need to rebrand the headband and boxes with the US spelling of "ALUMINUM" instead of "ALUMINIUM".
I think I'd prefer to import from Europe and pay more for a pair with Aluminium spelled correctly :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #66 of 380
  They are probably delayed in the USA because they'll need to rebrand the headband and boxes with the US spelling of "ALUMINUM" instead of "ALUMINIUM".

dt880smile.png
dt880smile.png

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #69 of 380
I think some people want a HD25 Alu vs Amperior comparison? I wrote a little something to compare them for you guys so enjoy.

I am a fan of the Sennheiser HD25 but there is no denying that the plastic frame it has can feel flimsy from time to time. A metal version would be great and that is what a lot of people though they got when Sennheier released the Amperior. It looked to be a HD25, with aluminum cups and a more expensive price tag but that was not the case at all. It had a brand new driver that was rated at 18 Ohms and was made to be a consumer product that catered for people wanting to use it with portable devices. It was close to what people wanted to see but it was not and one of the problems that did follow it around was the RRP of 260 pounds. Move too more recently and Sennheiser release the HD25 Alumium. Specs are identical to the original HD25 (minus the weight of course) with the 70 Ohm driver and a more professional outlook but we gain that better build and the aluminum housings. It was also a bit kinder on the wallet with a RRP of 210 pounds. It is worth mentioning that both of these models can be had for 200 pounds now.​
 ​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

​
Physically they do have a few differences. For a start the HD25 has leather ear pads and headband support and the Amperior has velour so this leaves me finding the Aluminums the comfier headphone. However I do not think it is a hard job to swap pads or headband supports on these so this not a big deal. The other major difference is again something that you can change and that is the cable. The Amperior cable is clear intended for portable use. It is very short to start with and you can either attach a simple extender or one with a 3 button remote and microphone. The cable starts of very thick and sturdy but the extension is thinner. The overall cable is shorter and I would go to say more practical. That being said I would just jump on an upgrade cable straight away like the Audiophile on from Custom Cans too quickly ooze a bit more performance out of the headphones. I can notice a few other completely insignificant cosmetic differences but for the rest they are very similar if not the same.​
 ​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

​
Enough of the background lets get straight to the point with the performance. I would like to talk about the effects the impedance rating have on these headphones first of all because they should be taken instantly into consideration. Ask yourself how you plan on using these, if you’re going to be using a mp3 player, an iPod or your phone then I think instantly the Amperior could well be more for you. It will get louder quicker and is certainly driven with more authority. This being said that does not mean by any means that the HD25 is a no go as its impedance is not that high and can still reach audible levels. If you have or plan on getting (I highly recommend you do) a portable headphone amplfier and one that actually makes a difference, the likes of the Fiio E12 or the JDS Labs C5 at the very least then I think that’s when this comparison is much more exciting.​
 ​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

Velour​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

Leather​
 ​
A clear difference from the start is how clean cut the HD25 is in comparison. Everything is just better rounded and more clear, blurred lines come to mind a bit for the amperior. The bass is also just tighter on the HD25 with a better punch to the impact. It is more satisfying and I think I feel just a bit more deep presence. I would quickly like to add the overall frequency responses for these two headphones are very similar. They are far from two completely difference sounding headphones and both just have subtle differences. Another one of these is that the HD25 sounds like the warmer, richer and lusher product and also feels thicker and more realistic in timbre. The Amperior is just a bit colder and thinner and does seem to have a tad less bass. I also find that the HD25 are airier, from a better treble extension most likely but it effect the midrange the most giving off a very nice effect.  The soundstage on the HD25 has more depth and just feels the more realistic out of the two, not by a long way but noticeably.​
 ​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

The 2m HD25 Alumium Cable​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

The short modular Amperior Cable​
 ​
Every time I compare these two headphones I find myself listening to the HD25 Aluminum a lot longer after each a/b of a song. It does seem to be the better technical headphone of the two and also the more pleasant experience. The Amperior is a nice product but I think the new HD25 is the next step up and I am glad to see this. The new HD25 is a great product and good value as well and I now must say that it is my favourite in the HD25 range.​
 ​
Formal_inset_01.png
Formal_inset_07.png
Formal_inset_03.png
Formal_inset_09.png
Formal_inset_04.png
Formal_inset_04.png

Formal_inset_06.png
Formal_inset_06.png

Formal_inset_02.png
Formal_inset_02.png

Formal_inset_08.png
Formal_inset_08.png

Mezzo Sompramo MS-AK100 to JDS Labs C5​
 ​
I have to thanks Custom Cans for sending me these two units over so I can bring you this comparison. If you have not seen what they do then I really recommend checking them out. The customization they do to the HD25s along with a lot of other models from a range of companies is truly great, they can do pretty much as exotic as you can imagine a design and it is well worth the little extra price for that unique product!​

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #70 of 380
Thanks for doing the comparison swimsonny. I did not actually have a proper listen before I sent them off to you so I have only just got to have a good play. I totally agree - they sound very similar and for portable use the amperior would probably be better especially with the remote / mic cable but the HD25 Aluminium do have tighter bass. The Aluminiums sound like they have a little more bass but some of that will probably be due to the difference in the pads. The one complaint I and few other people have with the Aluminiums is that they have a straight jack connector which is not great for some Pro audio jobs as it means the cable either pokes out the front of the mixer and digs into you if you forget about it or sticks straight up out of the mixer and gets in the way. It is easy enough to change it to a right angled cable but it would be good if they did an aluminium version of the HD25-1 with the right angled jack as well.

So overall they are both good headphones each suited to different tasks but personally I prefer the sound of the HD25 Aluminium as they sound a bit tighter and less boomy at the low end. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #71 of 380
Thanks Jason! Yes the HD25 Alu is certainly the better sounding, especially in the bass. It is just the more etched out. I can not believe i missed commenting on the right angled jack, it is normally something i get quite niggled by for different reasons. I just guess because i had in mind using it with your excellent cable that had a right angle i just forgot :wink: I think these headphones deserve an upgrade cable though, gives a nice little boost in sound at a good price!

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #73 of 380
Have you tried switching the pads between the Alu and the Amperior? I'm wondering how much of the difference in the sound has to do with the pads. Leather/pleather pads are known to produce more authoritative bass on the same headphone than velour pads and velour tends to sound brighter, which mimics what you wrote in your review. I'm basically curious if I can just buy new pads for my Amperior or if I should consider upgrading to the Alu...

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #74 of 380
  Have you tried switching the pads between the Alu and the Amperior? I'm wondering how much of the difference in the sound has to do with the pads. Leather/pleather pads are known to produce more authoritative bass on the same headphone than velour pads and velour tends to sound brighter, which mimics what you wrote in your review. I'm basically curious if I can just buy new pads for my Amperior or if I should consider upgrading to the Alu...

Awesome question! 

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #75 of 380
I did not have the chance to do that and i am aware of the effects caused by pads as i have done a lot of pad rolling with my HE-500 but the Alu clearly seemed to be the more technical efficient headphone, more than a pad difference. if it is worth the investment of a new pair, i am not sure. Maybe giving pads a go first would be a good idea. Also as i said, the source and amp used makes a difference, the Alu up scale better.

as for comfort as i said in the review, they are pretty much identical apart from the pads and headband pads so that was the difference/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back