Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Mar 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #16 of 51
I don't think I'd recommend the DigiZod, it's main strength is it's ability to crank up the bass, which you indicated is not a priority for you.

In the sub-$100, probably the cmoy or the pa2v2.  In the $100-150 the O2 is definitely an option and people speak highly of it, but it's more "transportable" than "portable".  Like, you wouldn't *use* it on the go, but you could take it from home to the office, and back, etc.  Not something you'd pull out on a walk or on the bus and start using, though. 

I've personally used the iBasso D-Zero for a while with my 4G iPod Touch and HD25-I II's and it is very good.  I don't listen to speed metal per se but lots of metal and hard rock (along with other things) and the combo is very good.  Maybe slightly learn in the mid's.  I just got my C421 (with OPA2227 opamp) delieved a couple of days ago so I'm still burning it in but it sounds pretty impressive so far.  It might be out of your price range but it does sound like it will be a bit nicer than the D-zero.  Both are very portable and easy to lug around or use on the go.

Let me ask you this, however:  Have you tried just running the HD25's out of the iPod directly?  If you haven't, try that before spending $'s on an amp.  They are actually fairly easy to drive despite the 70ohm impedence (high sensitivity of 120 probably helps) and actually sound quite decent just driven off the 4G iPod Touch.  It's worth a try.  Let them run for 50-100 hours or so before you make your final verdict, as the headphones get sounding better and better during that time (that was my experience, anyway).

Keep us posted.  :)

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 51
Hi !
Thanks i think i'll order a c421 too since i had a very long chat with john and he told me all about it !
I don't wanna just use them for my music with ipod and it's more likely i would spend days playing guitar or listening to music with my PC with them so i really need em . 
The HD25-1 II's are not delivered to me yet but they should be delivered in about April's 15th .
I would consider your thoughts but i think an amp would be quiet better for my situation !
i'll probably order my c421 around March's 27th .

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 51
I'm leaning toward the PA2V2 right now.
I think I'll save for a better amp like the p-51/shadow/SR-71B/pb-2/stepdance or similar later on.
Also, I've read a lot of good things about the pair (HD-25 + PA2V2)

LA

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 51

Quote:
Hi !
Thanks i think i'll order a c421 too since i had a very long chat with john and he told me all about it !
I don't wanna just use them for my music with ipod and it's more likely i would spend days playing guitar or listening to music with my PC with them so i really need em . 
The HD25-1 II's are not delivered to me yet but they should be delivered in about April's 15th .
I would consider your thoughts but i think an amp would be quiet better for my situation !
i'll probably order my c421 around March's 27th .

So I just played the same track (King Country Man by The Cult off the Electric album) a few times, switching back and forth between just iPod, D-Zero, and C421.  The C421 is definitely my fave of the 3.  There's a bit more sizzle to the cymbals, the guitars sound a bit larger and have slightly more "chorus" effect feel to them, etc.  That said, the D-Zero doesn't lag far behind, and even the iPod on its own sounded very good, just not quite as good as with the amps.  Slightly more "congested", slightly less separation to the various instruments/components of the music.  But not night and day, it's subtle.  If I only had the iPod and hadn't already taken the plunge on the amps, I'd probably be perfectly happy.

One other thing:  the last time I listened on the C421 I flipped on the bass boost and it took it to the next level for me. It's an older recording and has never been overly bassy, it's always felt a bit lacking to me.  Turning on the bass boost gave it that extra richness in the lows to put it over the top for me.  Definitely my favourite listen to the song.  I don't use the bass boost for everything, but it's nice to have it there when needed for sure.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the PA2V2 right now.
I think I'll save for a better amp like the p-51/shadow/SR-71B/pb-2/stepdance or similar later on.
Also, I've read a lot of good things about the pair (HD-25 + PA2V2)

LA

I've never heard the PA2V2 but have read that it pairs very well with the HD25.  I briefly considered getting one myself, but i wanted something closer to the general shape and dimensions of my iPod, to be able to stack and carry together.  For me, the form factor (shape) of the pa2v2 made me want to look in other directions, and I wound up with the D-Zero instead.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 51
Actually I meant to also say, it really isn't a bad idea to try just the iPod and headphones.  It really is quite a good combination.  It's not lacking much, if anything.  In fact, I think I'm leaning toward liking the iPod on its own better than through the D-Zero.  Oh and I also forgot to mention I'm also using a Fiio L9 LOD like you are planning to use.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 51

Quote:
Hey , 
I just bought my Sennheiser HD25-1 II after days of reserching and i was wondering which amp suit my "situation" best.
As you might have figured out i'm new to the hi-fi world however my taste in music built up with years of listening to various music , mostly metal.(My english is not too good as well).
I listen mostly to melodic-technical death metal which is not so popular nor it is filled with junk-lowquality music. My favorite bands are by far In Flames,Decapitated,Dark Tranquillity. Also i play guitar my self and i would like my amp to come in handy when playing guitar too (my neighbors don't like my skillful guitar playing so i have to wear headphone and listen to my guitar's sound ),
My portable setting is Ipod Touch 4g+FiiO l9 LOD+ Sennheiser HD25-1 II .I was going to buy a PA2V2 before making this thread and my budget can stretch up to 150$ at most but i'd prefer a <100$ amp myself !
My expectation of the amp is not to give me plenty of bass(i don't like artificial added bass to my tracks) and clear and a little dark sound which doesn't screw up when it comes to extremely fast and complex music like Decapitated's tracks.
thanks for reading all that :D
One last question : Do you think that a rockboxed Sansa clip+ would do better than the Ipod with LOD and maybe the EQu app ?

Why not wait for the Amperior to come out, then perhaps compare before choosing the better one? It's due in my local store the end of next week.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #23 of 51

Quote:
I can't say directly for the HD25-1's but I have the 25-13's (600ohm version) and they sound VERY different amped vs. umnamped. I use mine with a Little Dot MkIII and Little Dot Dac_1.

Yeah I would imagine it would be even more important with the 600ohm version--that's a lot of impedance!  The HD25-1 II does seem to scale with amping but it's not a "VERY different" situation.

Quote:

Why not wait for the Amperior to come out, then perhaps compare before choosing the better one? It's due in my local store the end of next week.

Cost might be a factor.  The HD25-1 II's have been out for ages and the street pricing isn't too bad for them.  The Amperior is brand new and less likely to be discounted below MSRP, which I believe is more $ than the HD25-1 II to begin with.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
Yeah I would imagine it would be even more important with the 600ohm version--that's a lot of impedance!  The HD25-1 II does seem to scale with amping but it's not a "VERY different" situation.

Cost might be a factor.  The HD25-1 II's have been out for ages and the street pricing isn't too bad for them.  The Amperior is brand new and less likely to be discounted below MSRP, which I believe is more $ than the HD25-1 II to begin with.

Yeah, I do agree with you on that point. It's just if I were him, I would at least hold on for 1-2 weeks to audition the amperiors before choosing the HD 25s. But it might be that the amperior are just more expensive, but yet sonically may sound exactly the same... 

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #25 of 51
I bout mine like a month ago and well they're my first hi-fi headphones and i've read lots of good reviews on them and reviews about them being very good with my kind of music .
So i said why not ? Maybe i'll buy smething else next year !
thanks anyway .

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:
I can't say directly for the HD25-1's but I have the 25-13's (600ohm version) and they sound VERY different amped vs. umnamped. I use mine with a Little Dot MkIII and Little Dot Dac_1.

Quote:

Okay, I stand corrected!  After having a few days of continuous use (probably 75-80 hours and counting), I listened to some stuff last night that kind of amazed me.  Then I went back and re-listened from the iPod direct, and yes, there's a big difference.  The C421-2227 sounds really really good with the 4G iPod Touch + Fiio L9 + HD25-1 II's.  More spacious yet still very forward, tons of energy, more reverb where there is reverb in songs, better instrument separation, background percussion previously fairly burried is now clear, etc.  Tons of energy to the music.  Very very good...  I definitely recommend it!

PS to the OP:  One track I heard recently was Take No Prisoners by Megadeth (from the Rust in Peace album), and it sounded really good.  It's a good example of a metal song with very quick pacing, fierce guitars, very fast double-bass drums, etc., and the combination handled it with ease.  I think you will be very happy with it!  Note that both the amp and the headphones do require some play time to really shine, so don't be discouraged if they don't sound what you expected wen you first hook them up. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 51
Hey ,
thanks for replay !
i was gonna recommend you to burn the headphone and amp both in !
it's so great that you have the same configuration as me !
i think you need to burn them in more !
just google how to burn-in .
i saw some tracks for burning in the headphone on head-fi as well !
I'm just listening to that song .(however i don't really like Megadeath)
If this was great i think they could do the trick with my music which is a little bit faster and more complex .
if you heard any other positive difference please state it head .
anyways thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back