Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Mar 17, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

lXxCannibalxXl

New Head-Fier
Hey , 
I just bought my Sennheiser HD25-1 II after days of reserching and i was wondering which amp suit my "situation" best.
As you might have figured out i'm new to the hi-fi world however my taste in music built up with years of listening to various music , mostly metal.(My english is not too good as well).
I listen mostly to melodic-technical death metal which is not so popular nor it is filled with junk-lowquality music. My favorite bands are by far In Flames,Decapitated,Dark Tranquillity. Also i play guitar my self and i would like my amp to come in handy when playing guitar too (my neighbors don't like my skillful guitar playing so i have to wear headphone and listen to my guitar's sound ),
My portable setting is Ipod Touch 4g+FiiO l9 LOD+ Sennheiser HD25-1 II .I was going to buy a PA2V2 before making this thread and my budget can stretch up to 150$ at most but i'd prefer a <100$ amp myself !
My expectation of the amp is not to give me plenty of bass(i don't like artificial added bass to my tracks) and clear and a little dark sound which doesn't screw up when it comes to extremely fast and complex music like Decapitated's tracks.
thanks for reading all that :D
One last question : Do you think that a rockboxed Sansa clip+ would do better than the Ipod with LOD and maybe the EQu app ?

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 51
If you already have an iPod, it's fine.  It also depends what generation it is, the older ones have Wolfson DAC's.  I personally bought a JDS Labs C421 even with a budget of only 100 dollars because I had an excess of money that I felt that I should spend and give proper justice to my headphones.  But for you, I would personally get a JDS Labs Cmoy or the FiiO E11.  The E11 has the slim factor the Cmoy has the novelty factor.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 51

Quote:
If you already have an iPod, it's fine.  It also depends what generation it is, the older ones have Wolfson DAC's.  I personally bought a JDS Labs C421 even with a budget of only 100 dollars because I had an excess of money that I felt that I should spend and give proper justice to my headphones.  But for you, I would personally get a JDS Labs Cmoy or the FiiO E11.  The E11 has the slim factor the Cmoy has the novelty factor.

As i mentioned my iPod is a 4g touch . I read an big amount of reviews on sub-100$ portable amps in every one of which it was mentioned that the PA2V2 is Definitely better than E11 and slightly better than the Cmoy when it comes to fast music(fast rock music Mike said in the headphonia's review) . I'm not sure whether you listen to the same music as well or not but damn if it isn't pretty fast :D Any other suggestions ? I was considering E17 as well though it wasn't available neither in amazon nor in ebay !    

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 51
Any other suggestions ?
I'm down to E11 and PA2V2 and i'm kind of confused since Mike says PA2V2 is definitely better and so does ClieOS about the E11 !
is the hiss sound in E11 noticeable  with my cans cause if it is i might as well go with the PA2V2 and speed is also a very important factor for me .

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 51
joining your question.
I'm in the same boat, bought hd-25 HP and looking for an amp.
another sub 150$ amps I thought worth mentioning: ibasso d-zero, Digizoid ZO, soundmagic a10, etc...

I just still can't deiced...

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 51
Actually i might as well go with a sub-100$ amp but if there is a sub150$ killing all those sub 100$ s i'll go with the 150$ one if you know what i'm saying :))
sorry i have a feeling that the sentence above is somehow screwed up :D

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 51
I also own a hd25ii. I love them, in my opinion they do benefit quite a bit from amping. They're at a point where they don't need an amp to sound good, but to get the most out of them, you got to amp them. I use my headroom total bithead to amp them. At this point, it's a bit out dated but it is a time tested, proven good amp/dac I'd throw into the mix of consideration. I've been considering an E11 myself to see what it sounds like, but might save up and just get a E17 instead. As far as a rockboxed clip+, I really like mine. Rockbox is just awesome. Considering how cheap clips can be bought, they're amazing. That being said, an ipod through a lod, to an amp will sound better. That's true for my 5.5g ipod video, and I'm sure it would be true for your 4g touch as well. But then again, neither can compare to my S:Flo2S:Flo, which doesn't even need an amp to drive the hd 25ii it's so strong.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 51
Hey ...
I just found a nice amp for my own use and the reviews on it are pretty good .
The JDSLabs Objective2 .
I think i'm gonna go with that except something else comes up :D
No other suggestions people ?:D

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 51
the O2 is big... that's my only concern with it...
I'm looking for a smaller amp "for the road" and for work.
if only I could justify spending 375$ on the p-51 :)
but I guess I'll have to look elsewhere...
I'm sure a lot of people are using the HD-25, but somehow I can't find a good recommandation...

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 51
Damn i saw a picture of O2 with an altodois box by the side of it and thought it could fit in it ! :d
I'm not sure iff you'd be comfortable with putting it in your bag but it seems to be way better than the Fiio's amps !
Although i can't find E17 on ebay or amazon so i guess i wouldn't stick with tge Fiio:D
Perhaps PA2V2 or DigiZoid Z2.03 would do the trick !
But i know i will regret it for the rest of my life if i don't get the O2 ! :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back