Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2,686 of 3,545
Quote:
I preferred the HD650 over the HD700 but prefer the HD800 over both of them. In fact I didn't like the HD700 at all. 

Quote:

Fair enough, everyone has an opinion. That's why i think it's important to get many opinions so we get a better idea overall. Although it's kind of hard to understand why these would be worse than the HD650s. The HD650 is 10 years old, the 700 has a 10 year technological advantage, yet they are still worse? 

On another note, i see you're selling your HD800s for 750 euro. That's a steal! If i had that money with me right now they would have been as good as sold.

May 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #2,687 of 3,545
A $1000 USD pair of headphones doesn't have to be anything, though one does generally expect it to sound good, yes.

As for why someone would think they sound worse than the HD600 or HD650, well, it has to do with the treble peaks I'd imagine. The HD650 is still an incredibly well-tuned pair of headphones, so much so that some even prefer it to the HD800. While technically superior in terms of resolution, soundstage and imaging, the HD700 and HD800 have very prominent treble that some may find offensive. I for one was hoping the tonal balance would be more in line with the HD600--or even the HD650--than the HD800. If Sennheiser voiced it as such while maintaining presentation (soundstage, imagine, etc.) more in keeping with the HD800 then I would be sold.

So far the reports seem to indicate it's more in keeping overall with the HD800, though I keep seeing vendors and "official" descriptions making the sound signature out to be situated smack-dab between these two poles. Here's HeadRoom's description for example:

"the Bavarian boys may have struck yet again with one of the most superlative and musically exciting headphones we've heard from the famed Sennheiser audiophile arsenal. Delivering an audibly more textural, rounded and wonderfully rollicking low-bass presence versus its famed big brother 'King Of Headphones', the Sennheiser HD800, the similarly-sized HD700 offers some welcome "corrections" for those listeners turned off by the relentless analytical precision of the HD800's lightning-fast transient accuracy. Significantly easier to power (150 Ohms vs the HD800 rating @ 300 Ohms) and sporting a new ventilated magnet system said to improve dynamic response time and 'airy' timbral transparency, the HD700 indeed sound like an ideal mid-way approximation between the classically smooth, warm-toned Sennheiser HD650 approach and the highly critical, uber-revealing resolution delivered by the reference HD800 presentation."

....Huh? That sounds a lot more like what I was hoping for, and a lot less like what I'm reading from just about ever set of first-hand impressions so far.

May 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #2,688 of 3,545
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread, but i'll post it anyway.

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd700-unboxing/

What i find interesting are the comments, scroll down and read them.

Taken from the comments:

"One thing that I can say at this point is that the HD700 is more than just a downgraded HD800. In fact the sound signature is totally different, something I've never heard from a Senn before. In my eyes, the sound is more appealing than the HD800, though technicalities wise it's not over the HD800. There are some parts that the HD700 does better, and some part that the HD800 does better (though the HD800 mostly is still the more superior technical headphone). 

Some of the earlier comments brought up the pricing issue, which people feel are not justified (by the way the HD800 is $1,499 now). If the HD700 was simply a smaller HD800, then yes it may not be justified (though at a $500 price difference, it may be a different case). However, listening impressions should reveal that this headphone is very different than the HD800. I can't guarantee if everybody will like it (is there ever such a thing as a universally-likable headphone?), but I can see the majority of listeners choosing the HD700's sound over the HD800 (I definitely prefer the HD700). 

And again this is not a case of HE-6 vs HE-500 or Beyer's T1 to the T5p (the two latter models inferior in technicalities but sounding more pleasing). Yes the HD700 is not as technically capable as the HD800, but it excels on some areas that the HD800, and overall I think the wow-factor is higher with the HD700 (though that may just be because I've lived with the HD800 for 2 years, but I don't remember being as impressed with the HD800 when I first listened to it)."

This is why i feel it's an injustice that these phones are constantly compared to the HD800. They're very different.

May 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2,689 of 3,545
Quote:
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread, but i'll post it anyway.

If you read this thread the whole Headfonia HD700 has been beaten to death.  We don't need to rehash it.

deadhorse.gif

May 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,690 of 3,545

Long story short, I got the guy to give them a push or expedite them out the door and they're expected to be here Friday.  Let's see what B&H and UPS can do.

Lame, UPS tracking shows Tuesday delivery.

Oh well.

They will be delivered on May 24th...supposedly. We'll see.

Get em?

May 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,692 of 3,545
Out of curiosity, have you heard any other headphones around that price point or even the HE-500? 
Quote:
I have to strongly disagree with all the negativity around here, surrounding the HD700. I am happy I bought them and to me they are worth the 1K price tag! But.... even though I'm thoroughly enjoying them, I would never recommend anyone to just run out and spend 1K on anything! Audition them if you can, and if you can't, do lots of research before buying. Hell, even if you audition them, still do a lot of research! 1K is a lot of dough!

May 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,694 of 3,545
Quote:

No, I haven't heard the HE-500. This is my first foray into the 1K range.

I just feel that the HD700 has been getting dumped on a lot by others who probably haven't even heard it yet. I think they should try it for themselves and form their own opinions. I've seen a few people pretty much label the HD700 a failure based on someone else's opinion. That's just wrong.

Very true, but subjective opinion goes both ways; in this hobby one's words have no credibility unless he or she could draw valid objective comparisons to reference headphones usually of the same pricerange, otherwise it's just fluff and hypocrisy.

On the other hand, personal enjoyment is a completely different story from public opinion.

May 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,699 of 3,545
My Sennheiser-loving friend got his today, I guess I'll go over and have a listen tomorrow and see what's what. He has HD800s, 650s, and 600s, so I should be able to make a good comparison.

May 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #2,700 of 3,545
Quote:
My Sennheiser-loving friend got his today, I guess I'll go over and have a listen tomorrow and see what's what. He has HD800s, 650s, and 600s, so I should be able to make a good comparison.

What are you doing? Move your @ss and have all of them for a run/compare , and comeback with your impressions...PLEASE
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back