Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #796 of 3,545

Huh? The build quality of the HD650 is exceptional, probably took the most abuse of any of my headphone's and was able to take it very well.

Quote:
I think I'm really interested in seeing (more than the sound quality, surprisingly) is how the build quality is in relation to the HD650 and the HD800. If I'm ever going to spend 1K on a pair of higher end headphones, it would be nice if they didn't have the same plastic frame and build quality as the HD650 and was more reminiscent of the HD800. But alas, it looks like it's not going to be that.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #798 of 3,545
I thought the quality of the build was excellent. I didn't try stress-testing them though, nor do I know for sure if they are painted or not. Paint chips are, IMO, the worst aspect of the HD-800s, so if they've found a good plastic that is durable and can be used un-painted, good for them.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #799 of 3,545

Quote:
I thought the quality of the build was excellent. I didn't try stress-testing them though, nor do I know for sure if they are painted or not. Paint chips are, IMO, the worst aspect of the HD-800s, so if they've found a good plastic that is durable and can be used un-painted, good for them.

I thought the build quality was excellent as well. They quite didn't fit my head right so I did bend them quite a bit and they didn't show any signs of bending or wanting to break. They are light and built like tanks.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #800 of 3,545

Quote:
Well I got my tax returns in and it's official, I will be getting the HD700. I have more than enough to get the new HiFiMan planar phone as well. Maybe I'll get both?

How much do you have total?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #803 of 3,545

Summary as I understand it: HD700s are very similar to HD800s in sound. Only very slightly warmer if at all due to a tiny bit less treble but sadly, it's arguably flawed in that it has sibilance issues -- peaky highs. An HD700 at its best versus an HD800 at its best, the HD700 is inferior across the spectrum. However, the HD700 is much much easier to drive at its best and therefore can sound better than an HD800, given a mediocre amp. Overall, it would be a perfect deal for the price if it wasn't for the sibilance issues, which may be a problem to some people.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #804 of 3,545
I can't give exact amount but I will say it more than enough. LOL it caught me off guard to be honest. Maybe I've said too much. 

Austin, if you want I can send it to you after I've had time with it. This way you can review it. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #805 of 3,545

Quote:
And while you're at it, post your social security number and the names of all your family members, where you live, and what time you're out of the house.

My thoughts exactly. Mother's maiden name? Boxers or briefs?

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #807 of 3,545
High School? Not me I must say. I graduated 6 years ago. Unless you weren't aiming it at me? 

Anyways I am really excited about this headphone. As much as I like the HD800, a slightly more affordable option is welcomed. I would prefer to have one top tier can and the rest be below it. From what I've read this one is close to HD800 performance with some slight handicaps and drawbacks.

And I was joking about tax returns, thought it was obvious? That's personal stuff and I wouldn't be throwing that around so easily. I'll say some of that money is going towards the HD700. That's all that needs to be said.

Quote:
Haha, cut him some slack guys.  He's still in high school.  

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #809 of 3,545
LOL but my name is Austin as well. I never knew mister Morrow was in High School and as such his reviews are quite nice.

Quote:
I think they meant Austin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back